SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My 15 year old son was sent home from school because of a headache
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 15 year old son was sent home from school because of a headache Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Private school isn't in a lot of folks budget either, so we allowed her to make the choice while ensuring she knew GED bias was out there.

In the blue collar field I've been in my whole life military & civilian, GED has not been a show-stopper so far that I've seen.

https://ged.com/blog/can-you-g...military-with-a-ged/

Can You Join the Military With a GED?
Yes! You can join the military with a GED. The military often requires a high school diploma, but it is still very possible for you to become a member of the armed services after you earn a GED.

No matter which branch you are looking to serve in, you still must meet the age, citizenship, height and weight, and legal requirements in order to join the military.

Each branch of the military has tiers for recruits and classifies all of their recruits into one of three categories. Tier 1 recruits have earned a high school diploma or have completed 15 credits (one semester) of college. Tier 2 recruits have a GED. Tier 3 recruits have neither a GED or high school diploma.

Tier 2 Recruit
If you have a GED and are looking to get into the military, you have to know that each branch sets its own limits. For example, less than 1% of the annual recruits for the air-force are Tier 2, while roughly 5% of the USMC are Tier 2. One of the biggest ways to help you get into that small percentage of Tier 2 recruits, is to score well on your ASVAB.

ASVAB
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is key for a Tier 2 recruit to make it into the military. Tier 1 recruits only have to score 31% or higher on the ASVAB. Tier 2 recruits have to score 50% or higher. The ASVAB also provides grounds for what you are qualified to do in each branch. If you score well enough in certain areas and show knowledge or talent in those areas, you can be recruited to fill a specific job, which pretty much guarantees your recruitment.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can win the debate bro.

What would the internet be without dumb circular arguments, though. Popcorn sales would be minimal. Big Grin

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Private school isn't in a lot of folks budget either, so we allowed her to make the choice while ensuring she knew GED bias was out there.

In the blue collar field I've been in my whole life military & civilian, GED has not been a show-stopper so far that I've seen.

https://ged.com/blog/can-you-g...military-with-a-ged/

Can You Join the Military With a GED?
Yes! You can join the military with a GED. The military often requires a high school diploma, but it is still very possible for you to become a member of the armed services after you earn a GED.

No matter which branch you are looking to serve in, you still must meet the age, citizenship, height and weight, and legal requirements in order to join the military.

Each branch of the military has tiers for recruits and classifies all of their recruits into one of three categories. Tier 1 recruits have earned a high school diploma or have completed 15 credits (one semester) of college. Tier 2 recruits have a GED. Tier 3 recruits have neither a GED or high school diploma.

Tier 2 Recruit
If you have a GED and are looking to get into the military, you have to know that each branch sets its own limits. For example, less than 1% of the annual recruits for the air-force are Tier 2, while roughly 5% of the USMC are Tier 2. One of the biggest ways to help you get into that small percentage of Tier 2 recruits, is to score well on your ASVAB.

ASVAB
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is key for a Tier 2 recruit to make it into the military. Tier 1 recruits only have to score 31% or higher on the ASVAB. Tier 2 recruits have to score 50% or higher. The ASVAB also provides grounds for what you are qualified to do in each branch. If you score well enough in certain areas and show knowledge or talent in those areas, you can be recruited to fill a specific job, which pretty much guarantees your recruitment.

LOL no one even mentioned the military so unsure how that even came up?

Also, considering that both soflaac and I (along with soflaac's wife) are veterans of the Air Force, I would imagine that we would know what the qualifications are to enlist in the Air Force Wink Lastly, I don't think soflaac's daughter is going to enlist in the Air Force anytime soon, she learned from her parents mistakesBig Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB: I'd take option #4, put him in a private school.

Yeah, being a single parent raising 2 teenagers with 0 assistance from their mother = I do not have the money to send them to private school.

quote:
Originally posted by soflaac: You can win the debate bro.

What would the internet be without dumb circular arguments, though. Popcorn sales would be minimal. Big Grin

LOL

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible for students to refrain from complaining about aches and pains and symptoms? If the school system is triggered by verbal information, perhaps giving no information is best.

Conversation with nearly adult child -
“Son, daughter, we are living in strange times. You remember when I shared with you to ask your teachers for help? For anything? Today, sadly, I must ask you to not ask teachers for help. If you ever feel poorly, please do not ask for anything. Do not say anything. You can make it through the day, I promise you. And when you are home, I will care for you.”

Depending on the maturity of the child, questions may be asked. “Why?”

“This is a strange time, and a different time. It is not safe to share information with those in authority. Please do not share how you are feeling.”

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Agreed.

Tell your children to call you and ask about "grandma", or similar phrase, then you or other parent go pick io the child due to "family matter".

It's the truth and effective way of keeping matters private.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Would it be possible for students to refrain from complaining about aches and pains and symptoms? If the school system is triggered by verbal information, perhaps giving no information is best.

I might or might not know of a large LE training center where the better part of a basic academy class was feeling generally crappy earlier this year. The place is known for a generalized crud... cough, runny nose, run-down... sweeping through periodically. Said class had seen an earlier class report these symptoms at the clinic and then be summarily quarantined and restricted to housing, all training for the class stopped for two weeks (meaning graduation and return home pushed back at least 14 days.) Meals dropped off outside their dorm rooms like they were each Patient Zero.

Apparently a quick team meeting was had and a decision was made: Nobody goes to Health Services, nobody says shit, we power through and graduate on time.

This was not lost on later classes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DennisM,

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post