SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Almost Got Hit Today By Another Clueless Driver Who Thinks Their Midsize SUV Is A Big Rig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost Got Hit Today By Another Clueless Driver Who Thinks Their Midsize SUV Is A Big Rig Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I hate this newer phenomenon Roll Eyes

I’m traveling between my two buildings at work, which are separated by about 3 miles, Road is two lanes in each direction, and there are businesses and schools up and down the stretch.

I’m in the left lane and I’m basically keeping pace with this woman in a midsize SUV in the right lane. All of a sudden she slows down and start swinging way to the left and almost takes me out while she makes a right turn into a school.

It’s a good thing I was paying attention and was able to react defensively in time.

Why do people do this? They act like they are driving a freaking 18 wheeler. You don’t need to swing your vehicle way to the left to make a right hand turn! Just turn the goddamn wheel right! Mad

Posts: 33734 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
People can't turn in general. I hate when there are 2 lanes turning and the outside lane driver cuts across the corner and inside lane.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I can't answer your question specifically to 18 wheeler wanna-bees but there is no doubt in my rabbit like mind that people are becoming more and more oblivious to their environment. Country walks, traffic, bikes, e-scooters, sidewalks, building entrances...totally oblivious to their suondings

Posts: 6384 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's all those inattentive people busy on their phones who used to drive a subcompact Honda Fit or VW Golf and wound up replacing that econo-squishbox with a Toyota Highlander after the second kid came along. And then have never taken the time to really learn where the passenger side of their new vehicle is relative to the driver's seat. I've got a couple of neighbors who resemble that...(sigh)

-MG

Posts: 1961 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In my experience the behavior is no more prevalent in giant SUVs that in the tiniest of Kia, just more noticeable. It’s half of everyone!

Apparently they also ride on a single wheel with nitroglycerin balanced inside, and must come to a near complete stop before actually turning and getting the heck out of the way.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12388 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
It’s not a newer phenomenon, I’ve seen people do that for years, in SUVs and in little compacts. It pisses me off, but it yet another reason why I try my best to never pace anyone next to me. I either speed up or slow down.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anybody look and adjust their speed in order to merge onto an interstate any more. It appears as if they just drive on out and hope there is room for them.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
You should come to Crystal City in Arlington, VA. In pre-COVID times, at least once or twice a month I would almost get hit in a clearly marked pedestrian crossing. Car size and type rarely mattered. And the drivers fell into one of three categories: 1) they look at me and I can see them say shit/fuck as they realize they fucked up 2) they never notice because they had their phones out 3) they focus on something 100 yards down the road and refuse to even look in your direction. Those last ones I really want to put a coffee mug through their window because they know they did wrong and just have zero fucks that they almost killed someone. That part of city is returning to normal, but several construction projects have started and vehicle traffic is a lot less.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing this a lot lately also and have no idea why people suddenly think they have to swing wide to turn.

Maybe driver training is teaching this now for some reason?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Stuff like this and worse is an every day occurrence in central Florida especially around the attractions.
Not only do we have to deal with the locals who can't drive (some because they just moved here from somewhere else) but we have to deal with the tourist not only from the united states but from around the world.

My favorite lately happens on a three lane highway, Interstate 4. People for some reason love to exit the highway from the far left hand lane for a right hand exit. They cut across three lanes of traffic (cutting off other cars) and in some cases go off the road to make the exit.

It is almost as though there is not another exit they could turn around at for a thousand miles.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I 4 between Daytona and Tampa was once listed as one of the most dangerous/deadly road in the United States.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2564 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what you mean. It makes my wife and I speechless. What would make people think that their SUVs (and I've even see sedans) have to swing out in an arc to make a turn??? And I doubt these drivers have even sat in the drivers seat of a big rig.

It's like a small man complex that you have to swagger.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19632 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The button hook maneuver isn't limited to people who drive SUV's, I've seen people in regular cars pull the same stunt. Totally idiotic and needless.

Posts: 1623 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won’t defend the dumbasses who swing left to turn right but is “keeping pace with” another way of saying cruising in their blind spot? Riding along anywhere near another vehicle is a poor choice with all the medicated, stoned, drunk, illegal, uninsured, oblivious, phone addicts out killing spare time and other drivers all day. Stay far away and use the left lane for passing.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 325 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Driving through indy this weekend I backed off to not be next to an infinity SUV, then proceeded to watch it take a 2 lane off ramp going all "Fast and Furious" squeaking between three fully loaded 18 wheelers and a space almost exactly the size of the vehicle. I was debating which direction to go to avoid the debris, but it didn't materialize.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
PAsig, lucky you. Twice this month, I've been passed on the right by people driving over the curb and onto the sidewalk.

Posts: 10891 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone should teach her how to box a turn.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We were purposefully ran off the road yesterday by some blimp assed inbred in a lifted diesel 4X4 pickup truck because I guess 50 in a 35 isn't fast enough.

I hate people. Most of all I hate these inbred mountain pillbillies.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34101 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post