SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Starlink? I may be dead by then...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starlink? I may be dead by then... Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Okay, so I have shitty internet. The equipment that my ISP uses hasn't been upgraded since 2003.

I thought I could sign up for Starlink and get out of the 20th century. Um, no...

When I put down a deposit, they said the delivery schedule averages 'about two weeks'.

Then it was fifteen weeks. The latest account update says it will now be fifteen months.

How about fifteen years? Yeah, I may be dead by then. At least my grandkids could get back the deposit?

I cancelled and requested a refund instead.

Seems they may turn up Starlink in the Republic of Georgia before the state of Georgia.

$900,000,000 in federal subsidies just isn't enough? I don't think I'll try anything else made by the house of Musk.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be ironic, if the gizmos ol' Musk is tossing out in space, are simply empty beer cans, paid for by the folks who were not old enough to get taken by Enron?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
first come first serve my ass. Why then are folks in India and chech-republic getting systems before us?

Why does my neighbor down the road who we helped sign up for his weeks after we signed up for ours have one at his cabin.

Yeah yeah, beta test need variety ect.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I’ve had it for over a year at my lake house. It’s great. Basically Zero internet to 100mb plus up and down. I signed up as soon as the beta opened.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
One of the guys I work with has been waiting over a year.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
I’ve had it for over a year at my lake house. It’s great. Basically Zero internet to 100mb plus up and down. I signed up as soon as the beta opened.

What “ping” times do you see with Starlink?

I have T-Mobile 5G Internet service. In my home ping times are usually in the 25-35ms range as reported by Ookla Speedtest.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I just took pictures of several Starlink satellites over Richmond, VA. Had no idea the company existed until a friend sent me this article reference:

https://www.wdbj7.com/2021/12/...D8CNHCOS9faT5MRS2PGs

So, maybe things are getting better.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
On the bright side the 'infrastructure' bill contains $65,000,000,000.00 for rural and low income upgrades. So it's a race between .gov and Elon. My money is on private industry.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post