SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    First world problem - sour dough bread impossible to find
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First world problem - sour dough bread impossible to find Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I know this is a puny first world problem. Not even a problem really.

My supermarket has about a dozen brands of sour dough bread. Some corporations. Many seem like local companies with “bread” as part of the company name. Over the past few months, I’ve tried every offering. NONE had any real likeness to sour dough bread. The only decent one, relatively speaking, was the offering by Rustik Oven (which seems owned by a Mexican company that also owns many common brands including orowheat, Thomas’s, others).

I’m not sure when it became so difficult to make decent sour dough bread. At least here in the west.

I like my Texas toast and brioche. But sour dough would have been a nice change of pace once in awhile.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Panera has the best sourdough, and available daily. Also, you can make it. You can pick up a starter kit many places.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the San Luis Sourdough brand? It is widely available around here and pretty good for sliced sourdough. Its the tough, chewy, and kind of dry type of sourdough, which I prefer for toasting or sandwiches. I like it better than the soft sourdoughs.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Consider making your own. You'll never go back to store bought bread.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Have you tried the San Luis Sourdough brand? It is widely available around here and pretty good for sliced sourdough. Its the tough, chewy, and kind of dry type of sourdough, which I prefer for toasting or sandwiches. I like it better than the soft sourdoughs.

One of my wife's favorites when she lived in CA.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would like to try making my own sour dough bread. But I'm still not proficient in making the simple no-knead dough. It's still coming out too dense w/ the crust being too hard - at least more than preferred.

San Luis is one of the brands I tried. It is one of the better ones on the shelf here. But it's still somewhat lacking for me. But I actually do buy it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Trader Joe’s? They have several different ones at my small local store.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m ready for the apocalypse, the only thing I don’t like is liver. I can eat cold food any time, burgers for breakfast is ok too.

I’ll eat still beyond the expiration date, left at room temp, whatever. Not to long after you eat it’s body temperature anyway.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I always have a hard time finding good Italian bread long ones like a baguette but not hard and good for Italian subs. Frown

Good bread is the KEY to a great sammich! Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I'm sure somebody would give you a piece of their "mother." (I couldn't think of how better to word that.)

Or you could make your own mother. If you leave out the proper ingredients, it will colonize on its own.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Konata, are you in NorCal?

If so, have you tried The Nugget stores? I do like Costco's sourdough baguettes.

What consistency are you going for?

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Make your own...
Tom Papa has been doing it for years....

Baking Bread and Writing Jokes With Comedian Tom Papa

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Great quote, and I agree.

“We are a generation that’s been told bread is bad for us and it’s not true,” he says. “The bread they’re selling us is bad for us. Bread shouldn’t have 32 ingredients in it. It should be flour, water, salt, and yeast. That bread doesn’t make you fat. It doesn’t load you with sugar. It doesn’t have all these additives in it. It’s not going to give you stomach problems. You should be able to make great bread on your own. It is a good thing to do for yourself and your family. It’s rewarding. It’s one of the simple, good pleasures in life. If you get a hobby, you might as well get one that you can eat. All of this stuff about the process and how meditative it can be is true, but the real joy is coming into the kitchen, having it smell like bread and being able to slice it and eat it. That’s really what it’s all about.”

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
W/ the internet and youtube, it's a good time in our history to learn to make bread at home.
Plus, w/ a sourdough starter, you can run through your house yelling,"It's alive. IT's ALIVE!"

My bread journey has come along but I've much further to go. I've many books on the topic but don't read them enough.
I watch videos but don't follow through enough.
But when I was starting out, I was watching breadtopia.com and it progressed from there.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post