SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Angry at another forum conduct -- not civil like SF
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angry at another forum conduct -- not civil like SF Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I shake my head in disgust at the personal attacks levied by others in a forum about amateur radio.

This morning I read a thread I originated celebrating the acquisition of a radio power supply, and learned that I am surely a beer-guzzling CB radio operator who somehow passed the amateur radio license exams and still doesn't know how to plug in the power supply.

I suppose I should have foreseen this, given the numerous examples of personal criticism on other threads I have read -- me not even being a part of the threads. It is a forum with some people who cannot wait to prove their superior knowledge or skills. It is a forum of some technical snobbery, where those with arcane knowledge argue incessantly about its application.

Who knows why I go there for help or for community. I'll seek to learn what I need to learn as a new amateur elsewhere.

I am grateful for this forum, as many have posted, over the decades.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
This morning I read a thread I originated celebrating the acquisition of a radio power supply, and learned that I am surely a beer-guzzling CB radio operator who somehow passed the amateur radio license exams and still doesn't know how to plug in the power supply.

I would not know ham radio from steak radio, but I do know that what you wrote above made me laugh out loud and tells me that you obviously have a pretty good idea what you’re doing.

Yes, this is easily one of the best forums on the net.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
We have a number of hams on this forum who can help you and I'm one of them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have had my ham ticket since Jan 1978 ( KL7JIU ) and as much as I hate to admit that there are some of "the north ends of a south bound mules" on the airwaves.... But hopefully maybe they will change but will not hold my breath ...... There are "ham operators" all over the world who in their personal /business lives might be powerful politicians / businessmen / musicians / doctors / lawyers / tv personalities and just regular everyday people who when on the airwaves are just the same as everyday people . ................................................. And yes we have some of the best members on this "sig forum" that any body could ask for........................ drill sgt

Posts: 1947 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forums which lack competent, active moderation get overrun by the assholes of the world.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
What's so wrong with beer guzzling? Confused

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
It's ok even though I have worked in the security and alarm business my whole life I get told I don't know what I'm talking about. Mainly from people who looked up stuff on the internet.

Ignore the idiots.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
It's ok even though I have worked in the security and alarm business my whole life I get told I don't know what I'm talking about. Mainly from people who looked up stuff on the internet.

Ignore the idiots.

I can top that. I once needed a sanity break from working for startup Medical Electronic companies, so I went to work as the Chief Engineer of the Scales Research & Development division of Friden Alcatel, the postal scale people.

While in that position I designed the electronics of a few postal scales and oversaw the Mechanical Engineering part of them.

Around 5 years ago on another forum, a guy had one of the scales I designed and was using it to measure powder for reloading, something that scale was perfectly capable of doing.

One of the forum "experts" made a statement about how the electronic part of that scale worked. I posted that no, that's not the way it worked and I should know since I designed all the circuitry.

I actually had a couple of forum members tell me that they believed him over me because he'd been on the forum longer than I had.

I told them through a PM to look at the owners manual for the scale and under credits, they'd find that I was the author and chief design engineer on it. I then left that forum permanently.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Plus there are copious amounts of liberals involved in most other forums so you have that element and mindset. Some are just snarky bitches.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I can top that. I once needed a sanity break from working for startup Medical Electronic companies, so I went to work as the Chief Engineer of the Scales Research & Development division of Friden Alcatel, the postal scale people.

While in that position I designed the electronics of a few postal scales and oversaw the Mechanical Engineering part of them.

Around 5 years ago on another forum, a guy had one of the scales I designed and was using it to measure powder for reloading, something that scale was perfectly capable of doing.

One of the forum "experts" made a statement about how the electronic part of that scale worked. I posted that no, that's not the way it worked and I should know since I designed all the circuitry.

I actually had a couple of forum members tell me that they believed him over me because he'd been on the forum longer than I had.

I told them through a PM to look at the owners manual for the scale and under credits, they'd find that I was the author and chief design engineer on it. I then left that forum permanently.

IM me the forum, I can guess which one it is.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm N5USS, please feel free to email me if you have any questions. Email is in my profile.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Idiots are idiots because they think they're so damn smart.

I like Flash-LB's story about how he wasn't believed. But I bet you dollars to donuts even after they determined he was indeed the designer of the circuitry, some would still believe the other guy. That's how stupid idiots are.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19575 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I like Flash-LB's story about how he wasn't believed. But I bet you dollars to donuts even after they determined he was indeed the designer of the circuitry, some would still believe the other guy. That's how stupid idiots are.

It's the nature of idiots on the internet. There is no penalty for being full of shit. Do I know everything in my field? No, but I have probably forgotten more than others still know.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

It's the nature of idiots on the internet. There is no penalty for being full of shit. Do I know everything in my field? No, but I have probably forgotten more than others still know.

I think the difference with you and I is when we're shown to be wrong, it's no skin off our noses to admit it. I'm always glad to be corrected because that means what I know is more accurate than before.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19575 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
What's so wrong with beer guzzling? Confused

I think that part was fine...it was the CB user...PLUS the beer guzzler Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you for listening.

I have determined that the forum ownership / support personnel are not interested in enforcing the prohibition of ad hominem attacks. So, I will refrain from visiting the site.

I am somewhat dismayed that a forum focused on a dying hobby would choose to willingly eat its own young. As a newly licensed amateur, I hoped only to learn from the old guard. I’m not young, but new to the hobby.

I’m over the anger. Thank goodness. Life is too short.

-------

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Thank you for listening.

I have determined that the forum ownership / support personnel are not interested in enforcing the prohibition of ad hominem attacks. So, I will refrain from visiting the site.

I am somewhat dismayed that a forum focused on a dying hobby would choose to willingly eat its own young. As a newly licensed amateur, I hoped only to learn from the old guard. I’m not young, but new to the hobby.

I’m over the anger. Thank goodness. Life is too short.

See if you can find a good local club. When I decided to get licensed a few years ago, I found a club to see if I could get information on the best way to do it. I think I was the only person at that club meeting under 70, but they were happy to have and help me. I didn't "join" the club because they were a little too far away from me to regularly participate with, but they got me pointed in the right direction anyway. If I had joined up they would have provided me with a radio programmed with all the local repeaters, and I still consider joining for the heck of it just because they were all good guys.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Some Ham Radio clubs are bad, some are good.

When I first got involved in Ham Radio years ago I went to a club that advertised Novice classes. Spoke to the President before the club and he said he'd talk to me later.

Tried to talk to him at the half time break, he said he'd talk to me later.

Talked to him after the meeting was over and he said they had no novice classes and didn't know anyone that did, then walked away.

As I was contemplating burying a size 10 in his butt, another guy came up and told me of another club and suggested I go there.

I did, and ended up affiliated with them for over 24 years. Totally different type of people at the second one.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Sounds like my experience is not unique.

I am a member of a local club. I try to participate in the weekly "nets" and the social activities following.

After many weeks of perusing forums and YouTube, I think I have a reasonable plan for my first HF setup. Given my "QTH" (10-20 for you CBers), I think a magnetic loop antenna on a tripod with a coax to a small all-band transceiver that is also suitable for hiking set up in my garage will be appropriate.

This will give me opportunity to connect, while reducing the overall expense of antennas, wiring, etc. You wouldn't believe the arguments and pedantic preening of the cognoscenti concerning antenna grounding. Given their confusing and conflicting direction, I needed to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars rewiring my home to ensure that a stray electron from a lightning bolt 33 miles away did not vaporize my domicile.

-------