SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Walking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking Login/Join 
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
10,000 steps a day. It's a new thing.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I've been a walker since mid May 2015. Was sitting on a couch on a Saturday flipping channels and it hit me that if I didn't get off that couch I would not live to see 65 ( was 60 at that time). That summer I worked my way up to 6 miles a day and walked off 50 lbs. Have maintained that habit and it did save my life, went under the knife in 2018 for a triple bypass and Mitral Valve repair. Expect I'll be going in for a Heart Cath soon because I've had 3 bouts of mild Afib in the past month and probably need a stint or two. Good news I am pretty Fit for my age and nowadays a Heart Cath is nearly an outpatient procedure.

Point is that Walking is a good thing so you may want to consider joining all those walkers driving you crazy.

Back in 1996, I started race walking to exercise. I always had been a fast walker - my normal walking pace was around 1 mile in 13 minutes. During the summer, I would do five miles in just under an hour - the weight just fell off. Even though I was a pipe smoker, my blood pressure was something like 98/65 - sometimes it would not register on the public BP measuring stations. I took my 10 year old mini schnauzer with me. He was not lease broken, and he would pull the entire trip when not relieving himself. His hind legs became huge as did my shoulders. After injuring my back and hip, I can barely walk 200 yards before I have to stop and rest my hip. Just went to Disney World over New Years and spent half of the time in a wheelchair.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Yes, folks should get in their cars and drive 10, 15, or 30 minutes each way somewhere to walk around instead of just walking around their neighborhood. Why spend 15 minutes getting a 15 minute walk when you could spend an hour or more getting a 15 minute walk?

Much better places to go instead of walking their neighborhood where they might meet and interact with their neighbors, let would be thieves see that they might be spotted whilst committing crimes, get fresh air and free vitamin D, let UV light neutralize their Chy-na virus exposure, or simply enjoy the area they chose to live in.

Wild guess, it really isn’t “your” street is it? Like a private road on property you own?

Have you thought about sitting on your porch with an M14 and scolding them off, you know growl something like ”Get off my street!” in a menacing fashion.

Here’s a thought rearrange your furniture so you don’t see out your windows while your sitting on it.

Or you could call 911 to complain about “suspicious” behavior.

Soooooo many options Big Grin

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our platte has a sidewalks… use them. Hand full of stubborn people that like to walk in the street; 2 or 3 wide, half with dogs. Seriously, get out the effin road.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Yes, folks should get in their cars and drive 10, 15, or 30 minutes each way somewhere to walk around instead of just walking around their neighborhood. Why spend 15 minutes getting a 15 minute walk when you could spend an hour or more getting a 15 minute walk?
That's why I didn't do that when I was doing the step challenge. There are nicer places to walk, several of them, w/in 5-15 minutes drive, but it didn't make sense to me to drive somewhere to walk.

Plus, on my walks, I came across one house where somebody'd left a car in the driveway with its headlights on. I walked up, rang the doorbell, and informed the nice little old lady of it.

Another time I informed a mother when I watched her young son run across the main street of a sub w/o bothering to look for oncoming cars.

Got to wish several people Merry Christmas, too Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
My SO and I (and my dog) all enjoy walking. I stay at her home 2 nights and she at mine 1-2 nights each week. Her house is in a quiet neighborhood in town so when we go out I grab some doggy bags, put the dog on a leash, and we walk the neighborhood zig zagging and avoiding the 2 cut through streets which carry more traffic. It's nice walking with a combination of hills and level all on pavement and there are usually neighbors or other walkers out to chat with. I never dreamed anyone could be upset that people walk past their house?
At my place we walk on trails mostly through wooded areas, maybe along a couple fields out to the pond, or down to the creek. There are no houses visible and the dog obviously runs untethered. Two completely different places to walk but we enjoy them both.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
People are going outside... in the fresh air... to get exercise?!?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
All those Californians that're your new neighbors need a place to coexist....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I miss something? Has this become the new fad? Perhaps a new exercise trend?

Since it's Montana this only happens for what 2 to 3 weeks out of the year due to weather right?

Neighbor does this, we don't have sidewalks he's out 3 to 4 times a day, looks at everything in the place, get texts about, so and so is doing this, look at this damage to the road, etc.

It's good to have a hall monitor...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of walkers in our neighborhood, and I’m at last back amongst them now that we’ve added a pooch to our household again.

I have no issues with the walkers as long as they respect the fact that cars will be present (some seem bound to force a confrontation by not moving over toward the shoulder much less onto it in the face of oncoming traffic) and, more so, if they walk at night, maybe try wearing some sort of reflective garment. We’ve had some folks here over time who appear to be trying-out as ninjas or something, wearing all-black on a dark night and going for a stroll.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I run 1.5-2 miles every morning around 5am, and walk another 2-5 miles in the afternoon or evening with my wife and the dog. This is all done on county roads, and there are a few houses on my route. Often, especially this time of year, it's in the dark, so I carry a streamlight Strion LED and shine it at the ground in the rare event that a car comes along. I also always run or walk on the left side facing traffic, and move off onto the shoulder when a car approaches.

I'm type 1 Diabetic, and the walking and running helps me regulate my blood sugar, has kept me off of fast-acting insulin, and improves my quality of life. I've never had any problems with any of the folks on my route. Sometimes their dogs, horses, or goats (there are alpacas, too, and pigs, but none of those have never gotten loose) will come out and follow us, and we always try to get them back home so they don't wander off or get hit. We've had plenty of pleasant conversations with folks, never any negative ones. To my knowledge, my pedestrian actions aren't getting under anybody's skin, but even if they are, piss on 'em! I pay taxes just like everybody else and I have just as much right to use the road.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walkers abound here in tiny town.
Even though only 50% of the streets have side walks
I say great for them.
UNTIL !

you decide to walk aftersun down in black clothing.

Then you are a p.i.t.a. and
Your trophy for excessive stupidity is a face controlled wheel chair

I purchased three reflective vests and offered them to the night walkers, all refused.

Eff"em , the belligerent, irresponsible , contrary
, Entitled ,delusional
Jack asses.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I live on a dirt road and it isn't safe to walk around here. Michigan allows (in many cases) speeds up to 55 on dirt roads and MOST drivers do not slow down or move over for pedestrians.
Ever been hit by a gravel flying out from under a tire of a vehicle going 55?
IT HURTS!
I was on my mower 10 feet of the side of the road when I got hit.

Guy next door was getting his mail and a pickup went by and the side mirror just barley missed him because the driver never bothered to move over.

A dead end road would have much less traffic so would be much safer for folks to walk on, paved or dirt.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Count me as a "walker". I live in a neighborhood that is mostly retirees like myself, lots of walkers at 8AM in the morning.

Don't jog anymore, it hurts my knees. I'll bike a bit in the summer, but year round, I walk my dog, quickly, for pure exercise, 35-40 minutes 6 times per week, as long as it is dry, not raining. I was out this AM, it was 34 degrees, left the dog at home. I'll walk when it is in the high 20s as long as it is not raining/snowing. But in this situation, I will walk back and forth on my street, in case I want to bail out of the walk quickly.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a few neighbors....

I live out here because I like my privacy.

I think I found the problem.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post