SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Walking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Did I miss something? Has this become the new fad? Perhaps a new exercise trend?

Now, to be clear, I like a good walk as much as the next guy and sometimes will go out at night for a stroll just to clear my brain. But.......

I've got a few neighbors who walk up and down the road seemingly continuously. I live at the end of a dead end road, so all of these damned people walk back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, in front of my house/property all damned day long. The fella across the road from me is out on the the road walking no less than six or eight times a day! Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth! I swear that jackass walks about 50 miles a day.

I probably shouldn't let it, but this just bugs the fuck out of me. And then there's the ones who bring their dogs and they piss all over my mailbox post. Mad

I should probably take a deep breath and encourage their exercise but I CAN"T FUCKING STAND IT!! I live out here because I like my privacy. If I want to walk naked around my property then dammit I should be able to! (not that I do...just sayin')

But no, nowadays every jackwagon in the county is walking up and down my road all freaking day long.

Bastards! Go home! Buy a fucking treadmill!.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive back and forth on your street for awhile. The faster the better.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Drive back and forth on your street for awhile. The faster the better.

Oh I do. You've got to dodge them. The problem with that though, is we're friendly around here and everyone is somewhat required to wave to everyone else (that's another rant entirely) so it only encourages them. And if I don't wave? Then I'm an unfriendly asshole...which probably isn't too far from the truth. Razz

If I could afford a 200 yard long 10 foot high fence, I'd put one in yesterday.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear those shipping containers are available down near Yuma.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to go for a walk once a day. Now that all my toes are numb I can't.
It sucks getting old and fat.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Monday through Friday I walk 2 miles each day around my development. I can't run so I do a brisk kind of walk.
I don't continuously walk back and forth in front of the same peoples house, I walk a loop or down random streets around the development.

After I had Covid in the summer of 2021 I could barely make it down the end of the driveway. Eventually I was able to make it around the block and it took me 6 months to get up to the 2 mile mark.

For me it was and is good exerciser to rebuild my stamina.

I haven't seen any naked people yet Wink however I have seen some interesting things. I saw one guy attacking weeds in his driveway with a pipe while yelling at them or me, I was not sure and a few other odd things.

I also end up picking up a small handful of nails, screws,bolts and other kind of junk that can damage car tires on just about every walk. It got worse after this hurricane season with people getting new roofs.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2552 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Monday through Friday I walk 2 miles each day around my development. I can't run so I do a brisk kind of walk.
I don't continuously walk back and forth in front of the same peoples house, I walk a loop or down random streets around the development.

After I had Covid in the summer of 2021 I could barely make it down the end of the driveway. Eventually I was able to make it around the block and it took me 6 months to get up to the 2 mile mark.

For me it was and is good exerciser to rebuild my stamina.

I haven't seen any naked people yet Wink however I have seen some interesting things. I saw one guy attacking weeds in his driveway with a pipe while yelling at them or me, I was not sure and a few other odd things.

I also end up picking up a small handful of nails, screws,bolts and other kind of junk that can damage car tires on just about every walk. It got worse after this hurricane season with people getting new roofs.

Yep. After I had the Chinese virous almost two years ago I still have fatigue. Thank you China.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They do it in front of my dead end cul de sac all fucking day too. Which is very very odd because we have a park in the neighborhood, and it has a paved trail for miles and miles. Nope, they want to go back and forth on your street. It’s fucking hilarious. Another of the 99 reasons I’m looking for rural land to get away from the fucking herd.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Another of the 99 reasons I’m looking for rural land to get away from the fucking herd.

I'm about as rural as you can possibly be and they're still here! Sosnabitches!

posted Hide Post
I walk in the cemetery every other day. No way would I walk on the street, given the way people drive. And walking constantly back and forth in the same area would drive me nuts.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When it gets really cold (or hot, depending on where you are), you will find the walkers at the mall.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just to be sure I've got this right...these people are walking on a public way that happens to pass your property, and you object to that?

I'd say your only solution is a 10 acre lot, fenced/gated, with the house located smack in the middle of it.

Trust me, if I could afford it...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15176 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep. I'm with PHPaul...

Except I think you'll need at least 30 acres or more.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see you are in Montana,
I thought everyone in MT owned five sections of range land .

How is that not enough room to be happy?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54487 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I walk in the cemetery every other day. No way would I walk on the street, given the way people drive. And walking constantly back and forth in the same area would drive me nuts.

I try to walk with traffic coming at me so I can see them. Hopefully they stay on their own side of the road but that in not always the case.

One morning on a walk I heard a loud crash behind me about a block back. As I turn to look, I see one of those giant garbage cans flying across someones driveway and a car in the street.
The person pulls up about a half a block away from the garbage can, gets out of her car with her phone in her hand, looks at the front of the car for damage then drives away.

About 30 minutes later on my way back to my home I walk past the house and see the garbage can destroyed along with the destroyed mail box in the driveway.

Unfortunately I could not get her plate number.

This is in a development with a 15 mile per hour speed limit.
I also see people blowing through stop signs all the time, they don't even slow down. I am surprised no one has been killed yet.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2552 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash and I walk every day, have for well over 25 years, but we only do it once a day and it's not back and forth.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
When the weather is warm, not hot or freezing, we walk a lot. Usually the same path through the neighborhood. A lot of the time we walk down a cul de sac, and just check out the houses. “What would you change if that was our house?” Kind of thing.
I also notice we run across the same people at the same times.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I probably shouldn't let it, but this just bugs the fuck out of me.
They're on the public way and that annoys you? Why? Isn't that what it's there for? The public?

quote:
If I want to walk naked around my property then dammit I should be able to!
Not if it's in view of public property.

Sounds like you need bigger property, much further out in the sticks. Or a privacy fence. Or maybe a row of screening shrubbery. Or a massive berm.

Or maybe, just maybe, take up walking, yourself? Smile

quote:
Buy a fucking treadmill!.
Getting out in the fresh air and sunshine (though there's been precious little of that around here the last couple weeks) is much healthier than walking on a treadmill indoors.

I participated in a 10k/day step challenge for December. I was walking all over the place around here. Since we're on a dirt road I walked up the new sub across the street, which has sidewalks, across the main road at the end of that, and walked in one, the other, or both the subdivisions a half mile away, each. Perhaps the residents of those subs noticed me and wondered. Dunno. Nobody ever said "boo" to me.

Walking out-of-doors can be very Zen-like. You just start walking and let your mind meander wherever it wants to go.

Had it not gotten colder, wetter, and grayer and just all-around more disagreeable outdoors I'd still be doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
That's what I did, and will do again.

Though when I only wanted to get the bare minimum each day I'd take six walks up and down the sub across the street. Not all in one go, but throughout the day.

I have two mile loops through each of the two nearby large subs, and a four mile loop that uses both subs. (They're connected, at one point, by a short nature trail.)

I will tell y'all this: For those, like me, that are "of an age" and haven't done much walking in recent years: It's harder than you might ever expect. My first 140k steps had me buying a percussion massager Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a walker since mid May 2015. Was sitting on a couch on a Saturday flipping channels and it hit me that if I didn't get off that couch I would not live to see 65 ( was 60 at that time). That summer I worked my way up to 6 miles a day and walked off 50 lbs. Have maintained that habit and it did save my life, went under the knife in 2018 for a triple bypass and Mitral Valve repair. Expect I'll be going in for a Heart Cath soon because I've had 3 bouts of mild Afib in the past month and probably need a stint or two. Good news I am pretty Fit for my age and nowadays a Heart Cath is nearly an outpatient procedure.

Point is that Walking is a good thing so you may want to consider joining all those walkers driving you crazy.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5607 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sounds boring as hell. I'd rather go on a long trail hike than up and down the same street.

Wrap the bottom of your mailbox with large loops of concertina wire. A dog will only have to try once.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post