SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Talking heads and "Keev"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talking heads and "Keev" Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
One of these: Roll Eyes

And one of these: Mad

Just shut the hell up. It's not "Keev", it's "KeeYev". You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it. It is pronounced "KeeYev". It always has been and will continue to be.

I don't care if you're trying to sound cool, woke, or culturally appropriate. You sound like a doosh.

I don't care if they've changed the spelling of the city from the old Russian spelling. Until they change the spelling to Putingrad, it'll still be pronounced "KeeYev".

I have a dear friend, Svetlana, from Kiev. Want to know how she pronounces it? Hint: It's not "Keev".

Just stop it!

We don't pronounce Munich "Munchen", we don't pronounce Paris "Pahree", and we don't pronounce Kiev "Keev". Mad

It reminds me of tinkerbell Shepard Smith pronouncing Qatar "Gutter". My, wasn't he cool and culturally sensitive. Roll Eyes

Speak American!

And another thing: It's Ukraine, not "the" Ukraine.

Thank you.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only person that had been pronouncing Kiev wrong going back to my 1st geography class in 1956.

Is this a new woke way to say it? If so, it’s not for me.

This is the second time I’ve scratched my head over pronouncing Gehngis Khan…ala John Kerry, it’s Gheengis Khaan.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Depends, Ukrainian or Russian? Russian Kiev = key ev as you are used to. Ukrainian Kyiv = keve. I had the same dislike and looked it up.

The geography I grew up with has changed and so have city names. Istanbul was Constantinople and all.... Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Thanks ffips

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks ffips

I second that.

I had just watched Ward Carroll's very short YouTube tribute to ""The Ghost of Kyiv" - The Legend of the Ukrainian Ace in a Day" where he pronounced the city as "Keev."

Now I understand the differences.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16190 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I saw the spelling on the map and thought it was a different place than the Kiev that I know from the board game Risk.

Yeah, I prefer to call it Kiev.

People who like to use the "native" pronounciation for locations, I then correct them that Vallejo, California should be pronounced as "Vayeho, California."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I think it's a complicated syllable, a usage not common to most. "kyi.." is not "ki..". As we easily say "kw", "ky" not so much but just as distinct. Throwing that "y" in there almost makes a single syllable sound like two but no, just one.
Kyiv is kind of fun to say but it takes a conscious effort. The "i" can sound short or as "ee", the "y" just doesn't flow naturally into what follows.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I saw the spelling on the map and thought it was a different place than the Kiev that I know from the board game Risk.

Do you still refer to Beijing as Peking?

quote:
People who like to use the "native" pronounciation for locations, I then correct them that Vallejo, California should be pronounced as "Vayeho, California."
That's the way I'd pronounce it. How else would one pronounce it?

quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I think it's a complicated syllable, a usage not common to most. "kyi.." is not "ki..".
So it's really k-yeev?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Do you still refer to Beijing as Peking?

quote:
People who like to use the "native" pronunciation for locations, I then correct them that Vallejo, California should be pronounced as "Vayeho, California."
That's the way I'd pronounce it. How else would one pronounce it?

I also still refer to Bombay as Bombay; what about it? Kiev vs Kyiv. Beijing vs Peking. Bombay vs Mumbai. One of these pairings is not like the other two. Which one do you think it is and what's the difference?

How else would one pronounce Vallejo other than "Vayeho?" As "Valley Joe," of course. The common ignorant folk says "Valle-ho."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
So it's really k-yeev?

I'll split a hair and say ky-eev or ky-iv with the ky as a single sound like kw.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
So it's really k-yeev?

I'll split a hair and say ky-eev or ky-iv with the ky as a single sound like kw.

Kweeve? Kwiv?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
quote:
So it's really k-yeev?
Kweeve? Kwiv?
Near as I can tell:

Say "yee"
Add a "v" at the end: "yeev"
Add a "k" in front: "kyeev"

Difficult for Americans to get their mouths and tongues around.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of tones and inflection.

It is not "Key. Ev." As in two separate distinct syllables.

It Kee-eev, with a downward tone on the second syllable, but slurred like it's all one syllable. It is not "Keeve" like Keeve Richards.

This is similar to Louisville - It is not "Lou. Iss. Ville". It is "Loua-ville".

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes! Thank you

This has been driving me crazy all week hearing all these people say “KEEV“

And then when you say some thing they say “well that’s how it is done in Ukrainian”

Well with that reasoning I guess we should all be saying Muenchen and not Munich or Moskva and not Moscow, right?

Roll Eyes

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Say "yee"
Add a "v" at the end: "yeev"
Add a "k" in front: "kyeev"

Difficult for Americans to get their mouths and tongues around.

Yep, the short i or the long e kinda become lost or become either.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Watching the news leads to hypertension. Wink

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So if they drive to Keev in a Hyundai, they will have to remember the y isn't silent.

Hy-un-dai.

Like that.

Next we will try alyoominium

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is that the Mayor of that city probably still packs one hell of a punch.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
All I know is that the Mayor of that city probably still packs one hell of a punch.

I'll bet he does. I've heard that both of them have picked up rifles and joined the fight.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post