SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What is it with women just standing in the street?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it with women just standing in the street? Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
This is something that generally occurs in the mornings or afternoons while people are walking their dogs, but it's nearly always women. What is it that they say, "This is a terrific spot for me to check my phone or talk with my friend(s)!"

Twice now, I've signalled to pull into a driveway and they stand there glaring at me for intruding. Not moving out of the way, mind you. Just standing in the same spot, glaring. Then I give up and park across the street and walk my delivery to the house.

Get the fuck out of the road!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
his is something that generally occurs in the mornings or afternoons while people are walking their dogs, but it's nearly always women. What is it that they say, "This is a terrific spot for me to check my phone or talk with my friend(s)!"

^^^^^^^^^^^
Depends on the neighborhood. They sound aggressive. Just ask if they are checking in with their pimp.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Same reason my customers always seem to get deer in headlights syndrome when I’m driving towards them on a forklift. Oh yeah, great idea, stand there while a multi-ton piece of equipment is headed right at you.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
his is something that generally occurs in the mornings or afternoons while people are walking their dogs, but it's nearly always women. What is it that they say, "This is a terrific spot for me to check my phone or talk with my friend(s)!"

^^^^^^^^^^^
Depends on the neighborhood. They sound aggressive. Just ask if they are checking in with their pimp.

Sounds like the hood. Drive thru any hood and that's standard operating procedure.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Orguss,

Sonoma County? Karen "Bedford wives" winos with fuzzy eye hangovers! HA!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Just ask if they are checking in with their pimp.
Sounds like the hood. Drive thru any hood and that's standard operating procedure.
Checking in with the pimp is SOP?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That sounds more than annoying. That actually sounds weird and like some sort of mental issue. Treating them with care and/or caution seems advocated.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's a long road to ho, and they need a brake...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
This is something that generally occurs in the mornings or afternoons while people are walking their dogs, but it's nearly always women. What is it that they say, "This is a terrific spot for me to check my phone or talk with my friend(s)!"

Twice now, I've signalled to pull into a driveway and they stand there glaring at me for intruding. Not moving out of the way, mind you. Just standing in the same spot, glaring. Then I give up and park across the street and walk my delivery to the house.

Get the fuck out of the road!
I've got a $100 that says that the same women also stop in the doorway of the sanctuary after church service to check their phones and are oblivious to the line of people behind them that can't exit.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I’ve found a politely said: “I’ve never met a street walker before. How’s business?” Gets results.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a $100 that says that the same women also stop in the doorway of the sanctuary after church service to check their phones and are oblivious to the line of people behind them that can't exit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think these ladies are the Church going type.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m in the “get the fuck out of the road” camp.

Since I moved to TX I have found people walk on the wrong(same ) side of the road as the cars….in the same direction. I was taught to walk against traffic so you can see cars coming at you.

I’ve honked at a few…always get a glare from them….if you’re gonna walk three abreast, in the roadway, at least do it where you can see cars coming.

I want to get a train horn.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Most likely. Sometimes, these women will be with their husbands who are standing on the sidewalk while their wives chat in the road.

Had a customer the other day getting some patio furniture delivered. She apparently just got back home and her two friends were standing in the middle of her driveway while I was trying to back in. Just fucking move.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The ones I see often and really piss me off are when I see 2 cars parked right in the middle of the road, one facing each direction, they saw each other and decided to chat.

I am going to get a 12 volt air horn in my next pickup.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're lucky. I'd rather have the dog walkers in the street than on the sidewalk in front of my house. We have these cretins around here who walk multiple dogs on those expandable leashes, I've seen then in the middle of my front yard yakking on their phones with their back to the dogs!!! Naturally they don't bother to clean up after the animals either. I have two trees in my front yard with rock borders and mulch. I had to use liquid nails on the rocks to keep them intact. The wimmin let their dogs in the flower beds and between the leashes and their back legs scratching after the deed the rock border was always destroyed. REALLY aggravating. When did it become ok to let dogs in other peoples yards??? I must have missed that memo.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Same people who get off a plane and stop at the end of the jet bridge trying to figure out what to do. How about "move out of the way"?

I wish we could have European or Asian rules on the rods - if you are in the road and I have the right of way, you better be good at dodging.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No comment, if I post what I really think and wife reads it, I’ll never hear the end of it.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
People here are crossing a 3 lane, two way, 40 mph street, on their phone, and not even looking at traffic. Just expecting people to stop. It’s crazy. I could have killed dozens of people already if I wasn’t always on high alert. In my neighborhood they’ll even walk right in the middle of the street, dogs, no dogs. We have sidewalks on both sides of the street but nope, they want to walk right in the middle of the road. It’s certifiable.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post