SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spectrum sucks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spectrum sucks Login/Join 
posted
I have one TV and one PC. And pay over two hundred dollars a month.
If you don't change your channel or touch your remote,You get a message
saying are you still there? Then they turn your tv off. Fuck you.
My son gave me a Christmas present called Firestick. When he comes
back from Florida , He's going to help set it up.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Spectrum and I have never experienced any messages from them on screen. Sounds really creepy! Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I believe it's a power save mode that is automatically set to on. It's in case you fall asleep with the TV on. Try using the remote and searching thru the settings on the cable box to see if you can turn it off.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one TV and one PC. And pay over two hundred dollars a month.

Mine - without even premium channels - has crept up to $188. In the past - and I really should do it now - I have called them and said I'd cancel the service unless they brought the price down out of the stratosphere. They did, but then it creeps back up again. Another thing that is galling is the low prices they offer for new customers. Shouldn't they be trying to retain existing ones?

quote:
If you don't change your channel or touch your remote,You get a message
saying are you still there? Then they turn your tv off. Fuck you.

This, I don't have and had never heard of until now.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that's not your TV? When did it start?

The PS3 that I use for media streaming while I figure something more permanent out with Plex (system's too old and never supported media streaming very well past the Netflix et al apps, which do work okay) did that until I disabled the auto-off timer in the settings. It might be worth a look through your TV's manual to confirm.

Failing that, have you tried calling Spectrum? Maybe it's a similar setting in their set-top boxes. If Mom and Dad's Comcast boxes go dormant while in a menu like the on demand screen, it will bring up a screensaver but won't shut it off. If your attempts to find it on your own prove fruitless, it's literally the phone tech's job to walk you through getting that squared away.

Comcast used to inject a box into sites that would display "you're at XX% of your 300GB data cap". That's the one that pissed me off.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
On my Spectrum cable box, I hit the Settings button, scroll right to Timers, then hit the down button to highlight the Power Save Mode and hit Select to toggle between Off and On. The Power Save Mode causes the box to turn off after 4 hours without any user actions. Mine is set to off and only turns off when I turn it off.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
FYI if you are going to Spectrum Streaming, it won't work on your Firestick, you'll need a ROKU box or TV...

that's a setting in the box for power saving, my DTV boxes do that by default, you just have to go to settings and turn it off.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right before the TV turns off there is a selection to turn off Power Saving. Check yes and you are done.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about firestick, but on ROKU you just plug it into a HDMI port and select that port on your TV. You will need to connect it to your wireless router , which should be easy, if you know its name and password

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. It's only been doing it for a month or two.
I just got into the habit picking up the remote and changing channels
once in a while. I'll figure it out.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
You don't need to change channels, just hitting the "ok" button in the center will make it go away.

I was binging some WWII movies the first time it happened to me.

But as others mentioned, you can disable it in the settings.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post