SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting old and losing people
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting old and losing people Login/Join 
posted
I am 71, an 80 year old friend that I worked with over 40 years was killed in a house fire on the 18th (Aug). Was just notified that my friend and primary physician suffered a stroke last night, he is 65 ,

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your losses, my friend.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
elmer, first let me say…you have my condolences for the loss of your friends…I’m 68 and sadly I know what you are saying to be true and it is hard to see people that are friends and you love pass away Frown… I’ve lost many of my shooting friends and retired railroaders I worked with for almost 40 years not to mention my very best friend, my wife of 46 years…one thing that I’ve learned is to not keep these losses inside but if you need support reach out to others at your Church or family…trust me it helps. Also the members of this forum carried me through some tough times Smile…they were a Godsend. Hang in there and post here when you need to talk about your feelings Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Elmer,
Yeah it sucks. Condolences are appreciated but the hurt remains.
There was the Vietnam period where I lost a lot of my childhood friends. And if the conflict didn't get them car accidents did.
Of late the few surviving have now also passed. But worse the extreme elderly of my family. WWII vets, their relatives, etc. Only my 96yo mother remains from that large group born in the 1920s. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The friend who got me into competitive shooting passed a few years back. Heart failure. This guy had been through the wringer, medically speaking but still made every match even after he lost his legs below the knees. Never complained and we were happy to have him. His favorite movie was Desperado. Last year a mint condition Ruger P90 showed up at a local shop for $300. I bought it just because it reminds me of my friend Frank and all the good times that we had. Miss you buddy!

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
An old saying……’Just because you get older doesn’t mean your friends get older with you.’ Sad but true.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a youngin' compared to some here as I'm 53 years old but I'm older than some too.
Mom passed in 2006, last grandparent in 2007 and a few friends along the way to now.
It hurts and sucks. You have my condolences.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ll be 80 this month. So many of my friends and relatives have passed. Those painful losses are the nature of human existence.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
elmer, you couldn't be more alone, condolences . Coming up on my 70th I've lost all my closest friends in the last several years, I know the pain all too well Frown

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, shoot, I could sit here for an hour and tick off the names of friends and family that have passed before me, and I am only 74. Like Pipe Smoker said...it's the nature of the beast.

I well remember when I went to my High School 50th. reunion. I was 68 and flew back to Washington state for it. I was walking around talking to people when I noticed on the back wall there was a list of names. It was a memorial for our classmates that had died. I was shocked. There must have been 30-35 names up there (our class was maybe 150 kids, tops). It was quite sobering.

When I wake up each morning and look around and realize that I made it to another day, I look up and thank God for that. I try to make the most of it as well. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
When I wake up each morning and look around and realize that I made it to another day, I look up and thank God for that. I try to make the most of it as well. Smile

A guy I know said “any day above ground is a good day.”

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm 70, soon to be 71. According to my last checkup, in good shape with only minor problems nicely controlled by basic meds.

My brothers are 77, 84 and 86. Baby brother is 65.

The losses will start before long and I dread the day.

OTOH, we've ALL lived significantly longer than our ancestors. Mom was 41, Dad was 66 and all our grandparents were in their early 70's.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I just clicked over to 49 on the oldometer last week so still sorta youngish but the number of people I’ve lost or that have suffered debilitating problems in the last 5 years is a bit disheartening. If I make it to your age I hate to think what it’ll be like. Sorry sir.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. The group I shoot with every week has lost 5 people in the last 4 years.

The last one was 68 and died of cancer. One got run over by a texting teenager.

Life goes on.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 64 I've lost quite a few. The worst were suicides and murder victims. There comes a point when you wonder if you're driving people to suicide. Likely, though, career choice was a bigger factor. Prison folks kill themselves at a high rate, especially a few years after retirement. Personally, I'm sticking around to enjoy more years retired than I did inside, at least.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
My condolences Elmer. I’m 65 and lost two classmates (out of 204) last week.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Elmer, my sincere condolences for your losses.
This is the time when we need friends to support us, and for us to support them. Even with our many blessings, the losses weigh ever more heavily.
Denial is our friend.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s tough. I lost the best friend of my life in 2008. Lost my closest and really only family member a year ago. Then another close friend in early 2019. Losing my best friend was the worst and still is to this day. Not a week goes by where I don’t think about him. I just keep grinding it out. It’s all you can do.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences. I lost my lifelong friend about 7 years ago. He was 63.I miss our conversations.

I’ve seen most all of the previous generation go as well as more and more people of my generation.

I’m 73 now and trying to learn to be grateful of each day of relatively good heath.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate this forum and the people here. Thank you

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post