SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People that drag out a text conversation ..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People that drag out a text conversation .. Login/Join 
posted
It absolutely makes my blood boil when you try to have what should be a short text message conversation with somebody that takes over an hour just to send a response to a question , etc. If you are busy then say so and I'll understand . But when you just don't answer at all and an hour later say " OK " , and you are already in the middle of the conversation ..

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Seems to me like there are two schools of thought with text messages:

A) Text messages are like passing a note to someone in class. The person gets it right away, and should respond immediately, barring something more important intervening.

B) Text messages are like leaving a post-it note on the fridge. The person gets it when they get it, and responds when they can.

People who subscribe to A and are always on their phones tend to get frustrated with people who subscribe to B and aren't constantly checking their phones and jumping to respond to every new message right away.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm in-between
If I'm busy, I'll look at the message when it pops up & determine then if I need to respond now, or if it can wait.

But, I don't get a lot of texts

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Group texts - which someone includes you into the group, maybe for a good reason like a family dinner, then it turns into a text fest of messages between the participants, like the Reply to All on an email....

If they are all iPhone users you can drop out, but there's invariably the one Android hold out in the list, and that one phone negates the ability to get out of the message loop, friggin androiders!

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Seems to me like there are two schools of thought with text messages:

A) Text messages are like passing a note to someone in class. The person gets it right away, and should respond immediately, barring something more important intervening.

B) Text messages are like leaving a post-it note on the fridge. The person gets it when they get it, and responds when they can.

People who subscribe to A and are always on their phones tend to get frustrated with people who subscribe to B and aren't constantly checking their phones and jumping to respond to every new message right away.
Then there is C. People who are already in a conversation and take over an hour to respond to the previous message . Like I said , if you're busy just say so , but don't string people along .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
For me text messages are for quick back and forth - no more than one or two responses.

Want to get lunch?

Sure

Bob's Burgers at noon?

Good. See you there.

If it goes beyond that, make a phone call - It will be quicker.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter in law posted a very expensive item for sale on Facebook Marketplace . I have somebody interested but they need a picture of the nameplate . All I need is one photo and I can get it to him . I'm over 5 hours into this process and she even told me that she was in her studio which is about 30-40 ft away from where the item is sitting . SHE is the one that listed it for sale and I'm trying to help her but she is making it so difficult . At this point , I give up . They say no good deed goes unpunished .

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
For me text messages are for quick back and forth - no more than one or two responses.

I'm in this camp. Short and sweet. My sister likes to have long conversations over text messages. I usually stop responding after the third text. If you want to talk, call me.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually respond fairly quick…. But sometimes I leave my phone laying on my desk and go off doing something else and don’t get back to it for an hour or two… and other times I read a text, get distracted, then respond days later because I forgot about the text and it wasn’t really that important

Posts: 1305 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
It absolutely makes my blood boil when you try to have what should be a short text message conversation with somebody that takes over an hour just to send a response to a question , etc. If you are busy then say so and I'll understand . But when you just don't answer at all and an hour later say " OK " , and you are already in the middle of the conversation ..

I'm of the logic that if something is that important call me. If not you're level of urgency may not match mine. And I won't really care that that is the case either.

Don't like my messaging style, don't fucking message me.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Group texts - which someone includes you into the group, maybe for a good reason like a family dinner, then it turns into a text fest of messages between the participants, like the Reply to All on an email....

I once threw a D pic into a group chat SOBs at A-school kept starting...they never included me again

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Agreed - call me if urgent or you expect immediate reply in middle of night. However for work I have phone with me pretty much 24/7 so folks are accustomed to replies in under 30 minutes at most, and family knows better than to text me at some random time when I might be asleep.

Wife, OTOH, her friends and family know it could be hours or days before she sees a text or voicemail. If they need her, they text me. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a good reason why I prefer not to call my DIL . Text is the preferred way in this situation .Yesterday I told her where to find the info I need and she ( eventually ] replied that she would go check . That was late afternoon . No communication since . I'm done .

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Text is REALLY useful for me; I'm hearing impaired, so phone calls are not a good option.

Text for shorter stuff or things that need a back-and-forth dialog, email for longer messages.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all notifications from texts turned off for a reason. I refuse to justify to anyone why I didn’t respond to a text. I have a job and a life. Also because certain people will send a group text even though I’ve told them to leave me out of them. Anyone who does gets blocked for a while because it’s the only way to not be part of the group.

Posts: 960 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I once threw a D pic into a group chat SOBs at A-school kept starting...they never included me again

That is one solution to being drug into the never-ending group text.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Another texting bitch for me....

Got a buddy who will have a long conversation, but send the text after EVERY. FU**ING. SENTENCE. So it EXPLODES my fu**ing phone and I here a text chime for 10 straight fu**ing minutes!!! Mad Mad

Can ANYONE be that FU**ING STUPID?!?!?!? Type a sentence, press enter. Type another sentence, press enter. Rinse and fu**ing repeat until your text is complete. THEN send the text! That's how I send my long texts to him and you would think he woulda gotten the hint. Nope! He's a fu**ing MORON!!

I finally got his ass to install the Signal app and that has saved our friendship, as I don't have a notification alert set up for that app.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I treat texts like post-it sticky notes on a fridge or desk; if I see it, great, if I don't, oh well. I am one of the few that is not glued to a goddamn cellphone, I do not have a smart phone anymore, and I leave my dumb-phone on the kitchen bar/counter most of the time. I have a rather boring, low sound audio prompt for notifying me of a text. I never check texts while driving around or doing errands, shooting at the range, etc. At times, I do not have a phone with me when I leave the house, and it is not a big deal at all. Because a lot of people panic, go into meltdown mode if they forget their phone at home.

My wife, son, and certain family and friends know that if they need to get a hold of me quick, they call, that I will answer quick. I mean, isn't that what a cell phone is for? Confused

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My one sister is notorious for sending out novels as texts. Here's hint; if your message requires me to scroll through 6 inches of text...send a damn email!

She also is constantly starting new group text threads, it drives us all crazy. Just use the existing one!

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My one sister is notorious for sending out novels as texts. Here's hint; if your message requires me to scroll through 6 inches of text...send a damn email!

She also is constantly starting new group text threads, it drives us all crazy. Just use the existing one!
My sister is notorious for laying her phone down and leaving the room . Sometimes for hours . More than once she sent me a text asking me if I could come over and look at her mower or something like that . When I reply back asking her what time , what are the symptoms , so I'll know what to bring with me etc, , she's walked away from her phone and I can't follow up .