SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lost and Found, or "A mind is a terrible thing".
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost and Found, or "A mind is a terrible thing". Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Wanted to take a picture with my "good" camera.

Whoops, battery is flat. No problem, I've got a spare and a charger right...uh...what? Where'd they go?

I've kept them in a small blue zippered canvas bag on the floor right next to the computer for...well, ever since I've had the camera which must be approaching 20 years.

Spent a solid hour tearing the computer room apart looking for that bag, double and triple checking every even remotely logical place I might have put it.

Then I spent a few minutes staring off into space trying to imagine where else it might be. Only thing that occurred was I might have taken it into the basement while taking pictures or videos of the diorama and left it there somewhere.

Almost immediately spotted the bag, which is now full of small electrical test equipment - throw-away DVM, kilowatt meter, stuff like that. Other brain cell kicked in and "Oh. Yeah. I remember needing the bag for this. Now, what did I do with the original contents?"

Went back to the computer room, opened the cabinet door and everything I was looking for was laying right there in plain sight on the shelf. I was so fixated on finding the bag that I looked right at the batteries and chargers probably a half-dozen times and didn't recognize them because they weren't a blue bag...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15305 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
you are just getting older and this is forgiven.
Hell at myself being 82 this month I use it as just a senior moment.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bumped into one of my in-laws in the grocery store and we walked outside together. He stopped suddenly and said, "I cant remember which car I drove here"!
The Chevy emblem on his key fob helped solve the mystery.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16170 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you remember to pay for the groceries on the way out of the store?

Hey, I wouldn't ask if I hadn't seen it done by a distracted family member.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2082 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

Hey, I wouldn't ask if I hadn't seen it done by a distracted family member.

I haven't walked out with a cart full yet, but I HAVE missed the 24-pack of bottled water underneath at least once. Figured it out when I was loading the car and went back inside and paid up.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15305 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

I haven't walked out with a cart full yet, but I HAVE missed the 24-pack of bottled water underneath at least once. Figured it out when I was loading the car and went back inside and paid up.
When I scan groceries, I know that I did it correctly (I am V-Tail!). But when I go through a line with an actual cashier, I eyeball the register receipt before I leave the store. Few weeks ago, I noticed that the cashier did not scan the 3 twelve-packs of Coke (buy two, get one free) in the cart. I usually don't put them on the conveyor; the cashier has a portable scanner that s/he can wave over the cartons in the cart.

There was a manager standing near the door. I showed him the receipt and told him that the cashier had missed the Coke. He said, "Have a nice day" and motioned for me to keep going. Publix. "Where shopping is a pleasure."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30809 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^I love Publix.

On the subject of losing your mind, my MIL calls my daughter by her mother's name sometimes. My wife confuses my name with my son's name.

Posts: 688 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm at the point where everything has it's spot and that helps me keep things organized. The problem with doing this is when you get distracted and don't put that item back in it's spot. Then it's a matter of looking everywhere for it and sometimes coming up dry.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went back to the computer room, opened the cabinet door and everything I was looking for was laying right there in plain sight on the shelf. I was so fixated on finding the bag that I looked right at the batteries and chargers probably a half-dozen times and didn't recognize them because they weren't a blue bag...

It's the door, didja ever notice that you forget why right after you pass through a door, in this case, opening a door.

It's the doors I tell ya....

Posts: 23663 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bonnie purchased some anti anxiety gummie treats for her dog to abate the lightening , heavy rain and thunder episodes.

Against my advice she " put them away"

Five days and two storms later, she admitted that she didn't remember where" away"
Was.

A week goes by and lot and behold she finds them in a drawer in the kitchen.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54777 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post