SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This is not my father’s compass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is not my father’s compass Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gener...enter-Pencil/1053227

I need a compass to mark a circular hole for a light over the sink. Where is my compass? No compass in the tool box. I remember a compass in my father’s toolbox. Look, there it is at Lowes. Only $11. Perfect. Just like Dad’s. Gold, black, short little pencil.

I opened the Covid-safe shopping locker door and grabbed my package of stuff. Got home, and excitedly opened the bag. Words fail. What in the world is this? It appears like a person in a third or fourth world country made a mold of the real compass using beach sand and poured hot molten slag from a furnace into it, then sprayed it with gold toned fingernail polish. Complete and utter crap.

Will it work for one hole? Yes.

Will it make me think of my father? Yes.

Maybe it is good, after all, to remember how he purchased the best, took care of the best, and had skills to use the best.

I just wish I had his compass.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
On line shopping is so good. Easy, at home from your easy chair or desk. Or not.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
But it, on line shopping, is always a gamble.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think both of mine are Staedtler & only downside is they don't open to a very wide diameter.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Made in America?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
You made me look over at my desk and find my grandfather's compass set. He was an architect and passed last month. Somewhere I have two steel tape measures - a Starrett and a (I think) Brown & Sharpe - of his as well.

It's a Keufler & Esser set, and it is very well used as tools should be, but not abused. I think of him every time I work through a design in my head.

Like yours, does it work? Yes. Does it make me think of him? Also yes. I'm happy and proud to be able to keep making things with his stuff.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Damn, man, you could've known that from the photo on the Lowe's site, alone. Not criticizing you, per se, but I would never have bought that.

Here's my compass. I've no idea how old it is. "Pretty damn old," I'm thinking Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I admit to taking only a glance at the Lowe's imagery. It is the same exact format for woodcraft compass, not architecture, that my Dad used. So, I guess in the moment I failed to grasp the quality of the product.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I misplaced (temporarily, as it turns out) the dividers from my drafting set, acquired during the Carter administration. I thought I'd buy another set at the office supply store.

Think again. I couldn't find any, so I asked a minion. I was shown the dividers for three-ring-binders.

The words "Compass" and "Protractor" were equally unrecognized. I don't always order online out of choice.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a rather nice Staedtler brand compass I bought almost two decades ago. Good workmanship, not cheap crap. I don't recall it being significantly more expensive than the cheap ones, but definitely a large step up in quality.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I misplaced (temporarily, as it turns out) the dividers from my drafting set, acquired during the Carter administration. I thought I'd buy another set at the office supply store.

Think again. I couldn't find any, so I asked a minion. I was shown the dividers for three-ring-binders.

The words "Compass" and "Protractor" were equally unrecognized. I don't always order online out of choice.

Look for a Yacht Chandlers - they'll have good dividers, compasses, and protractors.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Did you watch the video on the Lowe’s page? Look at the crappy “circle” the guy made. I’m pretty sure he’s never used a compass or knew they make circles.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Mine are not my father's either, but thankfully I kept my C.S.Osborne models from the days I worked in a millwork shop, a large and a small. They come with a metal point where the pencil goes, so you can use either pencil or point (as a divider).

Sorry for your loss. Frown

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my sets I purchased for college back in the 70's. They weren't the best since I wasn't rich but they have held up and still work well for the occasional use they serve now.

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did you expect to get for 10 bucks? The picture looks like its a cheap compass and if it looks cheap it probably is cheap. Cheap is OK if you only plan to use it once or twice, no sense spending big bucks for something you'll use once and then it'll sit in a drawer for the next decade.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nowadays a good compass is something you stumble across or find in a dedicated drafting supplies store.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post