SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don't order liquids through Amazon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't order liquids through Amazon Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I recently purchased a 1.25 gallon refill of Roundup through Amazon.com, because it was about $8 cheaper than at the local big box stores.

The mailman delivered it today, and I opened the door to be greeted with a soggy cardboard Amazon Prime box dripping weed killer in a puddle. The cap on the bottle came loose during shipping, and slightly less than half the liquid spilled out as it was bouncing its way across the country to my doorstep. They had stuck the bottle inside a plastic bag, but the bag was open on one side, so it did nothing to slow down the leak.

So I get on Amazon to find a resolution to my issue. It's been a number of years since my last issue with Amazon, and you used to be able to resolve this kind of stuff through a quick online chat with an actual human being. Apparently, no longer. Now returns/refunds are automated, and my only option seems to be to take this leaking half-full bottle of poison down to UPS and have it shipped back to Amazon, and upon receipt of my leaking half-full bottle of poison, they'll either ship me another bottle to leak in transit, or credit my account.

That's seriously stupid right there.

I guess I'll just drain what remains of it into my other nearly empty Roundup bottle, and chalk it up as a lesson learned to never order liquids from Amazon again.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
email to Jeff@amazon.com

He has a small army of people monitoring this email address. They will take care of you.

At the very least, ask them to issue a Call Tag, UPS will pick it up from you. But they probably won't want it returned.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I’ve ordered bug killer refills from Amazon and haven’t had issues. Of course, those came UPS. Wink

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
But especially don't order a bottle of liquid and a book at the same time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Call them. It will be resolved. No reason to be angered, it isn't your fault it was packaged incorrectly.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Agreed - a call will resolve this.

Otherwise empty the bottle and ship it back empty.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend has resolved problems with Amazon on the phone several times, as recently as a couple days ago.

When you call, I guess they tell you a wait time and ask if they can call you back. She always gets a call from them within a short few minutes.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK,

Amazon CHAT is still available to resolve issues.
1) go to Help at the bottom of their page

2) select "Need More Help?" "Contact Us"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got it sorted out.

The first time I tried to use that chat option, it just put me through to an automated chatbot that simply redirected me back to the normal automated Return/Refund page, where they wanted me to start an automated return and schlep the soggy bottle down to UPS to get shipped back.

But on the second attempt, I eventually gave the correct responses to be able to get in touch with an actual human customer service rep through chat, and got a refund issued with no hassles.

So it's not as straightforward as it used to be, but still possible. Seems like they're trying to weed out the low-hanging fruit of typical returns through various automated systems now, rather than directly connecting you to actual human customer service rep right off the bat.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I was skeptical when I ordered peanut oil, but it arrived unscathed.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I was skeptical when I ordered peanut oil, but it arrived unscathed.

I’ve had the same issue. A gallon of Simple Green arrived yesterday...unscathed as well.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
You're right, it would be stupid to have it leak going back.

First find out who pays the return shipping charges. If Amazon will pay, empty the bottle then ship back the damaged container back saying it was damaged in transit and leaked out.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That would be terrible. Midway sent me some sale dog shampoo that spilled on my P220 or P226 recoil springs. The bags on the springs look like they should have kept it out, but they internationally have holes in them, and the shampoo got in on the springs.

Anyway, it was a mess, and less than 1/4 of the shampoo had leaked. They apologized and offered a refund when I emailed them, but I said I didn't want a refund as I was just letting them know so they could crank on the lid a bit and the next customers didn't have it occur to them. I could see it being real bad depending on what was in the shipping box (Optics, electronic things etc).

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Had quite a mess with Red Wing boot oil myself

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I ordered a gallon of Boeshield T9 from Amazon. Arrived without an issue. There's nowhere locally where I could get a gallon of T9, and if I could, I doubt it would only be a dollar an ounce.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I better hold off on that Prime deal for liquid metallic sodium to cool the reactor in my volcano lair.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Hmmm. I better hold off on that Prime deal for liquid metallic sodium to cool the reactor in my volcano lair.

It won't be a problem if they don't send it in an insulated bottle that leaks. Or don't order it with a bottle of water.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I guess that order of the megga box of baking soda plus the 5 gallons of vinegar is a bad idea.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Note to self: don't order Mentos and Coke. Smile

I think no matter who the vendor or shipper, there is some risk in ordering any kind of liquid.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a phone number can not be found quickly on a web site, just Google it!

https://www.google.com/search?...=amazon+phone+number

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post