SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How to keep a cat off your new car
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How to keep a cat off your new car Login/Join 
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
So, you don't want the cat on your car.

The cat knows this.

Thus, the cat will be on your car. Give the cat permission and it'll stop wanting to be there.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Report This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Maybe the cat can smell something in there Smile

GM, Hyundai and many others use a new "green" soy based polymer in the wire insulation. Rodents love that shit! A freshly parked, warm car smells the same to a rat, as a Texas Roadhouse does to a hobo.

https://youtu.be/56MmFQI5UME

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A mouse built a nest one night in the left headlight of my Mercedes C320. The stupid mechanics at the independent dealership I bought it at wanted to disassemble the whole front end to get in there.

I asked them to remove the headlight bulb and then I was able to pull out the nest with a three-pronged retriever tool I had for picking up stuff I dropped in the engine compartment of my race cars.

Fifteen minutes of work against $1,200 estimate to pull off the front end.

As for the cat issue, I'm going with RichardC's advice to use cucumbers. Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
My mother uses one of those motion activated sprinkler setups to keep the squirrels away from her bird feeders. Depending on angle of approach, that might be a (much) less than lethal way to get the kitteh to find greener pastures.

I like this suggestion.

Nothing like a harmless little spritz of water to discourage kitties from roosting on a vehicle.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kmichael:
Gettin The pussy in the back seat was always my problem.

JHC, time for this thread to be locked already.

Can't some of you show some class?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
Evidently not.

Unfortunately we seem to have a few guys who are still stuck at the junior high school level.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Have you tried spreading the crystal form of cat repellant around your driveway? It gives off a smell the cats dislike.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Trap the cat with a live animal trap and take it to your nearest animal control center so that it will get it's shots and hopefully a new home where the owners love it.

legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dEX_RX:
So, you don't want the cat on your car.

The cat knows this.

Thus, the cat will be on your car. Give the cat permission and it'll stop wanting to be there.

Cats don't get permission. Cats GIVE permission. Big Grin

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Have you tried spreading the crystal form of cat repellant around your driveway? It gives off a smell the cats dislike.

Any more detail on this? I have a serious feral problem in my area, and a couple of them are doing their damndest to make a mess of my GTO.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
Non lethal traps. Call animal service to come pick up the cats. Free service in our town.

I had a feral cat issue in my old neighborhood and through some research found out that the local horse track and stables welcomed cats because they kept rats out of the feed, they even loaned me the traps.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We have three cats...Have not had any under hood damage from mice/pack rats in many years.

Previously it was an ongoing and expen$ive issue. I'll put up with the paw prints.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Any more detail on this? I have a serious feral problem in my area, and a couple of them are doing their damndest to make a mess of my GTO.

Ortho makes a version. They're granules you spread around, but they have to be replaced after it rains. If you have a large area, you could try the ultrasonic solar powered repellers. Also, some people have used citronella oils. I have never tried the citronella oil myself, however.

When I had this problem, I ultimately had to resort to live traps and constant trips to the shelter.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
Gotta go with Para on this one. Plus there would be legal and civil ramifications.

Airsoft though....

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What's with all the wild cats with you guys? We have one neighborhood stray. I watched him grow up. He goes in our backyard every now and again, but causes no problems.

There is also a half dozen that live behind the local food lion, someone cares for them though. They all have shelters, have their ears clipped (spayed/neutered), and someone puts out food for them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've seen someone put down (laying flat on the ground) skinny chicken wire to keep cats from approaching a certain area. I've never seen whether it works, but maybe give that a try.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have heard from cat owners that cats avere the smell of lavender. Try washing the car with Dr. Bronners All-One Lavender soap. Dr Bronners is spiffy stuff. The eucalyptus has a really strong scent too.

https://www.drbronner.com

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
Evidently not.

Unfortunately we seem to have a few guys who are still stuck at the junior high school level.

Oh?

Just wait until he succeeds in running the felines off. They were keeping the male chickens at bay.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a Scat Mat? https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe...inches/dp/B0007NTBJ6

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post