SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How to keep a cat off your new car
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How to keep a cat off your new car Login/Join 
posted
I do not own a cat. I like dogs. I park my car in the driveway and have noticed cat paw prints all over the roof and hood of my car. This happens overnight. I do not have the time to do the investigative work or determine who the irresponsible owner might be. Is there a humane way to control the problem? I figure with all the cat pictures someone on this forum might have some expert knowledge. Thanks

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Cats do not wear collars with tags so trapping in a cage will do no good to track down owner. Try hanging some cotton balls soaked in coyote or wolf piss around the area. Neighbors have lost a few cats around here due to coyotes. You should be able to find at hunting/ fishing type stores.

Actually, available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Predato...ine+coyote+repellent

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Maybe a car cover? Yeah, it kind of sucks that you have to spend $$ because some people let their cats roam, although they might just be feral cats that are homeless.

On the other hand, a car cover might protect your nice car from other stuff, as well as cats.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My mother uses one of those motion activated sprinkler setups to keep the squirrels away from her bird feeders. Depending on angle of approach, that might be a (much) less than lethal way to get the kitteh to find greener pastures.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Are they using the car to reach something else?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they using the car to reach something else?

I thought of that but moving my car to the other side of the driveway produced the same result. Nothing to reach there but the sky. But thanks for your reply.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
Wait. You're on a forum called SigForum asking how to keep a cat off your car?
Cool

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't it amazing. If I get stumped, this is one of the first places I think of going for an answer. And it really doesn't matter what the question is. Deep in my heart, I think that someone on this forum has experienced the same thing and has the answer I need.

Can you think of an issue or topic that you're positive would stump this forum ?

I suppose medical stuff I take with a grain of salt, but I still listen...Especially if one of our doctors or pill-pushers chimes in.

FROM A PREVIOUS POST BY ANOTHER MEMBER.

Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
I think KurtZ66 was intimating that you should just shoot the cat. Roll Eyes

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have never found a way to keep the SOBs off my truck or Jeep. The bastards like to sharpen their claws on the Jeep's soft top. No bueno.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Cats are more likely to perch on a car because it is elevated and sometimes warm from running or the sun.

And then there is that irresitable new car smell. Smile

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Non lethal traps. Call animal service to come pick up the cats. Free service in our town.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your problem, but I would not rely on a car cover as I tried that one.
I parked our drive on Sat/Sun only car in the garage under a custom made car cover and found cat tracks on the car when I pulled the cover off. The only way I know is that the cats must go.
I started a car up once that was in the drive overnight and a cat was under the hood getting chewed up by the fan and fan belt. I was grief stricken.....just kidding. The neighbor had 22 cats, most were suffering from distemper or something.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Place a bunch of the smallest sized mouse traps on the car (might want to put a beach towel down first).

Buy new traps, don't use traps that have ever been baited. They will go off, bounce around, and scare that cat. They won't catch the cat, it will not get hurt. It will just startle it.

Also works good at training the dogs to stay off the couch while you are gone.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a dog on your car.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Can't believe no one has suggested it yet. You need to tell the cats it's your car. So mark it with your pee.
Razz

Sorry. It's late. Not sure how to help other than garaging it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If your locality has an applicable leash law, trap the cat in a havaheart trap and call animal control.

Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:

This. Wink

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they sleep up there because it is safe from predators.

shooting them won't help. New ones will take their place.

The mousetrap idea is good. You need something that works when you are not there. Otherwise they learn to associate the bad thing with you, and then just do it when you are not around.

could also use those scat mats I hear about. Not sure if they can be used outside.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtZ66:
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
This. Wink
Anyone who would shoot a cat- domesticated or feral- simply for being on an automobile is an amoral POS. Not my kind of people, you dig?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post