SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    NOT enjoying my iPhone 12 experience
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOT enjoying my iPhone 12 experience Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
It’s the little things. The constant frustration with the way it operates.
Couldn’t find a Samsung Ultra to replace my Huawei Honor whatever and stick with Android. The lesser evil down in my neck of the woods.
My shitty Huawei felt more naturak than this. It’s like going backwards in UI development.

I want to play Hai Alai at least twice a day with it.

Going back to Android when it suffers an accident.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t know what your problem is – you didn’t clearly specify any.

I’ve had my iPhone 12 Pro for nearly a year and love it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently upgraded my iPhone and it's taking some time to get used to the new home screen function. I preferred the old manual home button, but that apparently makes me a Boomer now.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Too many to count. Editing text is a nightmare, scrolling sideways take me to another screen, trying to close the open apps takes several tries until it does what i intend to do. The resizing is frustrating, the screen is incomplete and refuses to comply or switches to another screen.
Had other iphones before but don’t recall this being an issue.

I keep returning to the old phone and it’s not supposed to happen. Also using a Samsung S8+ and having none of it.

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the same problem I had when my wife switched from Apple to Android.

I hated that damn thing. Nothing worked like it was supposed to. I fought it for 2 years. Couldn’t hardly wait until we could get rid of it and go back to Apple.

There wasn’t anything wrong with the Android phone. The problem was me. I was comfortable with Apple. Apple was what I learned on, it did what I wanted, and I didn’t want to change. If I was forced to get an Android, I’d be pissed all over again.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a different user interface than Android. That should really come as no surprise.

My wife and I had "issues" getting used to iOS after using Android, too.

I imagine the same thing will happen if we choose to go back to Android, now that we've been on iOS for a few years.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's annoying when you switch systems, but you'll get familiar with the iPhone and wonder why it ever caused you issues

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be nice if they came with an owner’s manual. Most of your issues could be fixed I imagine. User error is a bitch. Lol

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Samsung and Android is feature rich and more sophisticated. I've seen usages.

The lessor of evils to me is still Apple. I will never buy Android (Google product) if I can possibly avoid it. Playing games or less sophisticated UI is not worth it to me. There needs to be critical functionality.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 Mini and, for the most part, I like it.

What I don't like is that it insists on creating and populating folders. The way it decides which apps go in which folders makes no sense to me and I've stopped trying to figure it out. If it's an app I use regularly, I keep it on the home screen; otherwise, I just use the search bar.

Also, I'm seriously underwhelmed by the battery life. I read reviews and was duly warned, but I'm amazed at how longer the charge on the wife's 3-year-old iPhone XR lasts compared to my less than one-year-old phone.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
While not fancy or cutting edge in any way technologically the iPhone SE Gen 2 256GB (2020) was the logical replacement for my 7. It really just feels like a hot rodded 7 with slightly improved battery life and more memory.

This was a replacement that was forced on me by the Sprint/T mobile merger since my current phone will soon be incompatible with the T Mobile network. Nice thing was that it didn’t cost me much at all.

I know Apple fans will shake their head at this comment but I truly have no interest in owning one of the newer iPhones since they did away with the home button. Hopefully this SE lasts me a long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

It would be nice if they came with an owner’s manual.
Here's a link to the POH*
*POH: Pilots' Operating Handbook

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Don’t get me wrong, this is not pure iPhone bashing. I lived my i3,i3s, i4s and i5s. Don’t remember having any issues with any of rhem.

Just this one and me aren’t on the same page most of the time. Stresses me out not knowing if i’ll be able to finish this post before it screws me.

0-0

posted Hide Post
I hear you. I just upgraded my iPhone 6s to a 12 Pro last month. I keep picking it up upside down. I miss the home button but I appreciate the extra screen.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'm also not a fan of the no home button, and having to swipe up to close my apps. Coming from a iphone7 to a 12.
I've gotten used to it, but It just seems more intuitive having a home button.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
For those of you who miss the Home button on newer iPhones:

Settings -> Accessibility -> Touch -> Assistive Touch

This will place a pseudo Home button on the lower right portion of the screen, that gives fast access shortcuts to a number of useful functions, including a solution for Nismo's problem (in the post just before this one).

Give it a try. You can always turn it back off if you don't like it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Thanks! I actually just programmed the back-tap to double tap the back of the phone to return to home screen.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

This will place a pseudo Home button on the lower right portion of the screen, that gives fast access shortcuts to a number of useful functions, including a solution for Nismo's problem (in the post just before this one).

Give it a try. You can always turn it back off if you don't like it.

Kind of cool. Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. I'll mess with it for a few days and see if I like it. BTW, iphone 11 and yes it took some getting used to from my long lived 5s.

My work android makes me want to urinate myself out of frustration but alas they can add all their security stuff to it and lock it down. Is what it is.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I just noticed something. I originally said that the "pseudo Home button" was near the lower right corner of the screen.

Well, that's where mine first appeared when I turned the feature on, but I discovered that I can schlep it around the screen and put it wherever I want it to be.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I don’t know what your problem is – you didn’t clearly specify any.

I’ve had my iPhone 12 Pro for nearly a year and love it.

Let’s start off with having to press twice as many keys as needed for my email address and passwords because the numbers, @, period are not accessible on the first page of the keyboard.

How about changing the left right balance when using headphones being buried four menus down in nondescript headings near the bottom of each menu list.

Then there’s changing the camera from 16:9 to 4:3 and back depending on what you are photographing. Or setting the flash to go off when your subject is backlit requiring six steps and the setting doesn’t stick.

The calendar app showing holidays I don’t give a rip about. When viewing a month, it only shows a dot on days where something is happening rather than a short blurb about the actual event allowing me to determine what I have going on that month at a glance. No, instead I have to check each individual day and remember them all which entirely defeats the purpose of using the app in the first place.

The screen rotation lock only locks portrait.

The flashlight turns itself on while the phone is in my pocket.

The cutout on the screen for the front camera and speaker.

Nothing about iOS is intuitive for me. After nine months of using it, it isn’t a matter of getting used to it. It’s just plain clunky. I won’t go back to android, so when my 12 pro gives up the ghost, I’m done with smart phones.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post