SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Surprise Charges from Amazon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise Charges from Amazon Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

You sure this wasn’t some Spam e-mail that just LOOKS like it’s from Amazon??
It was not from Amazon. It was from Synchrony Bank, the bank that issues my Amazon Store card.

I used the "chat" feature of Synchrony's website to tell them that I had no record of a $119.78 purchase from Amazon, and I asked the agent to confirm it. After a bit of digging, the agent told me that it was Amazon Prime renewal fee.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I had the same thing happen with my AAA membership.
AAA is not a good deal for me. The only service that I used in the last ten years of membership was Roadside Assistance.

I analyzed cost / benefit, and realized that my family auto policy with Travelers offered MUCH better Roadside Assistance benefits at a MUCH lower cost. Adios AAA!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There is a checkbox labeled "Remind me before renewing." If checked, they claim that they will send an email three days prior to renewal.

A bogus claim. I have had that box checked since forever, and never get a reminder.

I do get the notifications. Does Amazon have your correct email address? See in “Login and security”.

In the Amazon app on my iPhone:

* Click the little head-and-shoulders icon at the bottom of the home screen.
* Scroll down a bit to the “Your Account” region.
* Click the “Manage Prime Membership” box.

Look around in that region to see the date when your annual account rolls over. And the date that your email notification of that will be sent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I do get the notifications. Does Amazon have your correct email address? See in “Login and security”.

I get email notifications for each and every order, return, delivered, etc. Never got the heads up on the Prime charge.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Does Amazon have your correct email address?
They have no problem sending me two or three junk mail messages every day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
just checked mine I've gotten notices in the past, but not last year, they must have changed it and required members to update that setting.

Done..

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am not sure why this is of concern. Yes, it would be polite and deferential to alert you of the charge, but as a Prime member, you are aware of the annual fee. I have never been so notified. I will check my settings to click the e-mail when membership is renewed.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

I am not sure why this is of concern.
A charge of $119.78 appeared on my Synchrony credit card, with no explanation other than "Amazon."

Amazon.com -> "Returns & Orders" showed other charges, but not this one. There was NO readily visible explanation for the charge. If there had been an explanation, or if there had been a "heads-up" email warning that the charge was going to be levied, there would not have been any concern.

It did not occur to me that it was annual renewal time. The way it happened, a charge of that amount, no explanation, the first thing that I thought of was fraud.

So yes, it is a concern. With the sophisticated systems that Amazon has, it would be a trivial matter to keep customers informed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
They always notify us of the renewal of Prime.

I recall each and every time because that's the start of an almost fight with the wife.

I ask "WHY do we have to have that?" She explains it very succinctly. "Because!" And that's it.

But Amazon always notifies me. Roll Eyes

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post