SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My P229 was called a Grandpa gun.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My P229 was called a Grandpa gun. Login/Join 
posted
Discussing pistols at work as you should do in any proper American workplace, a youngun referred to my Sig P229 as a Grandpa gun. I was only offended by the Grandpa comment as I am not a Grandpa and I am under 50.
Anyway, youngun said that .40 S&W is for old people and that a pistol shouldn't be so heavy.
I responded that my P229 is over 20 years old and performs as it did on day 1 without ever changing anything.

Thought I would share.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 639 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What the hell does that make my P228?

It's a KF and I'm only 42.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Musta been a Zev fanboy

Probably can't afford either one

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I had that in one of my academy classes a few years back.

Older dude (50s/60s) from a tiny department showed up with a personally-owned S&W 4006, alongside all the other early-20-something cadets with their Glocks and other polymer guns.

Lots of ribbing ensued about how his gun was made before the rest of the students were born, how he was given it by Wyatt Earp back in the day, how on the weekends he ties a rope to it and uses it as a boat anchor, etc. Big Grin

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Geez... I guess that makes my 1911s Great Grandpa Guns

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I had that in one of my academy classes a few years back.

Older dude (50s/60s) from a tiny department showed up with a personally-owned S&W 4006, alongside all the other early-20-something cadets with their Glocks and other polymer guns.

Lots of ribbing ensued about how his gun was made before the rest of the students were born, how he was given it by Wyatt Earp back in the day, how on the weekends he ties a rope to it and uses it as a boat anchor, etc. Big Grin

I can tell you between a Glock and a P229 which one I would prefer to be pistol whipped by.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 639 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
If those folks frequented the range I do, I suppose I’d need to don Moses-like garb when working-out my revolvers haha…

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Easy response,

“I’ll accept my pistol is for old people if you’ll accept ignorant assumptions and opinions are for young people”

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Met a girl back in my youth whose Mom was 32 years old and a grandma.

It happens.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the 229 released after Glock?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Wasn't the 229 released after Glock?

Yes.

I find the OP hilarious. Image, marketing, same as the rest of fake society. You MUST do or buy or use whatever everyone else is using! LMAO!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Met a girl back in my youth whose Mom was 32 years old and a grandma.

It happens.

That's not even the youngest grandma that I've encountered.

If mom gets pregnant at 13-15ish, and daughter follows suit, you get a grandma who's under 30.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Invite the younggun to the range and let him see how a fine gun shoots

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I didn't mind becoming a grandpa, I just had trouble coming to grips with climbing into bed with a grandma every night.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It just goes to show you what ignorance is when claims like that are made.
True, they may not be the easiest to carry but they are a true joy to shoot.
Eff them.

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Show him a 1911. And my JJ P226 shoots like new. A historical artifact!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell that youngster that this old fart loads his 40 S&W practice rounds with a 165 grain pill cruising at 1150 fps. To be blunt, he couldn't handle the recoil. Had a kid at the lane next to me one day asking if I was shooting 357 Magnums with my P239. I said "nope, just a 40 Short & Weak loaded with Longshot". BTW any who doubt these results look it up on Hodgdon Reloading, Longshot is absolutely ideal for the 40 caliber in either length.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5607 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I remember a number of years back a friend and fellow gun enthusiast commenting on how heavy my carry pistol at the time was... this was a Sig P230 in stainless.....

tell that young pup he can have his plastic wimpy 9mm play guns....

and I like Scooter's above suggestion... but I think he should shoot a P239 in 357 Sig.... I actually finally broke down and bought a box of 40 cal. ammo and ran some through one of my P239's this past week... yes it has a bit more punch than 9mm but not as much as the 357s for sure.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Red Box 229 and both barrels.
I really like it!!

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post