SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    iPhone chargers - not
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone chargers - not Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Freaking Apple. I'm not sure why people put up with their crap.

You can hate on Apple all you want, but this isn't an Apple issue and USB-C isn't "proprietary" as you've indicated.
quote:
USB-C is undeniably the superior connection type due to its higher data transfer rates, ability to charge large electronics and symmetrical connection port. This is why it's becoming the industry standard and will become ubiquitous in the near future.

tom's Guide; USB-C vs. USB-A: What’s the difference?

In other news, there are clouds outside today needing a good scolding! Razz

I didn't meant to imply that USB-C is proprietary (although it's definitely not as ubiquitous as USB-A across the board)...I was talking about whatever the hell that thing is that Apple uses at the phone end of the cord. That is an Apple proprietary connection, if Apple was using USB-C at the phone side, the other guys could have just used my USB-A to USB-C Cord.

My understanding is that they are going to USB-C for newer devices going forward, but they should have done that in the first place.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
92fstech is probably referring to Apple's Lightning connector, which has been in use for a lot longer than USB-C has.

There are probably way more iPhones in use that have Lightning connectors, than there are with USB-C.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The iPhone 15 mentioned in the very first post has USB-C on the phone and not Apple’s lightning connector. Complaining about Apple’s bullshit is completely fair though. The USB-C connection on the iPhone 15 is the 24 year old USB 2.0 standard limited to transfer rates of 480mbps or less. You have to pop for the iPhone 15 Pro to get 2013’s USB 3.1 (aka USB 3.2 Gen 2) and transfer speeds up to 10gbps, 20 times faster than the plain 15. That’s bullshit with a capital B and a capital S.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Freaking Apple. I'm not sure why people put up with their crap...

The two other guys that came with us had Apple phones, which apparently come with cords that use some goofy connector other than a standard USB-A plug. They also didn't think to bring a 12v power adapter with their proprietary plug on it. As a result, they could only charge at a wall outlet and were SOL with dead batteries most of the trip.

Apple makes nice stuff, but their insistence on doing everything their own way instead of complying with industry standards does a disservice to their customers.

Apple has been using the Lightning Connector since at least 2012, so TWELVE years! Since that time other cell phone manufacturers have changed connectors multiple times, going for Mini-USB to Micro-USB, and most recently USB-C. As of the iPhone 15, Apple has changed to USB-C going forward, in part because it's a somewhat superior connector, but largely as the EU has now mandated that all cell phones standardize on USB-C.

That said, any lingering angst you may have from your Alaska trip experience ought to be directed at the 'two other guys' for not being prepared to charge their devices. With the exclusion of the iPhone 15, currently available iPhones come with a USB-C to Lightning Cable, but charging cables for iPhones are definitely available as USB-A to Lightning, and it's likely that the vast majority iPhone charging cables out there are so configured, as that's the only other way they come! It would seem that the 'two other guys' likely had USB-C (a.k.a. 'some goofy connector') to Lightning cables and NOWHERE to plug them in! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, it was definitely on them. And I don't really have any angst about it as it didn't really inconvenience me any...but I think it's pretty dumb that I was able to bring one cable for all my stuff (tablet, phone, wireless headphones, son's battery bank, son's phone, son's different brand of wireless headphones, etc.), but theirs just had to be different.

I did have angst back in the day when I used to work IT. We were a windows shop, and inevitably somebody would show up with a MacBook and we would have to figure out how to make it work with our presentation gear or on our internal network or software. That was a PITA. Don't miss that one bit!

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
After a while those chargers stack up and usually everyone has plenty of them.
Didn't get one with my latest Samsung Android recently but no big deal.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Very old news.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu...headphones-options/#

2020...four years ago. It has been a non-event for me. I can choose the optimum charger for my needs. Anker works. Apple works. I can choose high quality or low cost. It's perfect for the free market. Let the buyer decide.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5224 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If the Anker USB-C takes too long to charge your iPhone, juice that MFr up with a DeWalt 65W and get it over with.

Posts: 9439 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USB C has been the standard on everything but Apple for years. I’m glad they finally moved to C. One less cable to carry in my work kit.

Buy an Anker Nano. It’s the size of the old Apple Cube but 20w instead of 5. Under $20 last I looked.

Posts: 2225 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

If the Anker USB-C takes too long to charge your iPhone, juice that MFr up with a DeWalt 65W and get it over with.
Or, stick it in the microwave on 50% power for twenty seconds. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
USB C has been the standard on everything but Apple for years. I’m glad they finally moved to C. One less cable to carry in my work kit.

Buy an Anker Nano. It’s the size of the old Apple Cube but 20w instead of 5. Under $20 last I looked.

Anker is good stuff. I use them for all my electronics when I travel and have never had an issue; they also make some really nice headphones.

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2149 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm stuck with Lightning connectors for my AirPods Pro base and my iPhone--except I'm not!
Both do wireless charging just fine, so I have an Anker charging base that holds phone, watch, and AirPods, and connects with a USB-C to USB-C cable to my Anker charger.
My wife, ever tech phobic, still uses the Lightning connector for her phone, which doesn't do wireless charging.
BTW the wireless charging works in my Honda Accord and my Mazda CX-90.
Then of course for emergencies I have an Anker power pack that connects by magnet to the iPhone and requires no wired connection to the phone; and once again it connects to the charger via USB-C.

Posts: 18437 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post