SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    iPhone chargers - not
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone chargers - not Login/Join 
posted
Got a new Iphone15 and it comes with a really nice braided USB-C charging cable. Unfortunately there’s nothing to plug it into (besides the phone). The wall plug adapter thingy no longer comes with the phone. What the hell?

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Apple has been doing that for a while.

WOOT! has USB chargers on sale frequently, almost daily.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You see everybody already has a wall charger and it’s better for the environment and it has absolutely, positively, nothing to do with Apple’s profit. It’s literally only about the environment and your clutter of too many chargers. Really…..they mean it. Roll Eyes

As has been said, been SOP for a while now.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7846 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just buy Anker chargers that have one USB-A and two USB-C ports. Also a qi wireless charger for the phone, watch, and AirPods.
I guess I play for the San Diego chargers.

Posts: 18337 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
Costco usually has some nice wall chargers. The cheap ones will work...slowly. If you're going to charge your phone overnight you might as well get a cheap one.

...and it's not just Apple doing this. Pay attention to the other end of that cable and make sure you get a charger to match.

Posts: 941 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Apple has been doing that for a while.

WOOT! has USB chargers on sale frequently, almost daily.

Same with my latest Samsung.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anker for the win.

Posts: 806 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have some newer UPS units for laptop, router, NAS and some other low current items I’d prefer to keep working in a power failure and the UPS’s came with USB A and C ports for phone charging cables. Fairly common these days.

Posts: 1219 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
We recently changed from Verizon to T-Mobile and everyone got a new iPhone for basically nothing (two iPhone 14s and an iPhone 15 Pro), so new USB Chargers were in order. I got a few Anker 323 33W Chargers, and I'm quite impressed with them. I like that it's a USB-C / USB-A combo, AND has a small 'cube style' form factor, which is uncommon w/ multi-port chargers incorporating both USB-C and USB-A ports. It can charge anything, w/ any cable, and can Fast Charge when both ports are in use. Highly recommended... Wink

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-C...d/dp/B0B2MMYZPL?th=1

https://www.anker.com/products...riant=42282830725270

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I prefer the wireless chargers. Just set the phone down on it, and Bob's your uncle. Nothing to plug in. No wear and tear on cables, connectors, phone parts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Many things are soon to be going to USB-C so you might as well just get on board.☺️

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I prefer the wireless chargers. Just set the phone down on it, and Bob's your uncle. Nothing to plug in. No wear and tear on cables, connectors, phone parts.

Well there IS wear and tear on the battery though. Wireless charging is inefficient (vs wired charging), resulting excess temperature, which can affect the lifespan of the battery. While it's certainly convenient, if you only charge your phone a with a wireless charger, it's possible you'll end up with a shorter lifespan as a result.

https://www.androidauthority.c...tery-health-3198991/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Just bought a new Garmin watch, and the same thing, no way to charge it. And the quickest Amazon can get me anything is 4 days (with Prime).

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I just buy Anker chargers that have one USB-A and two USB-C ports. Also a qi wireless charger for the phone, watch, and AirPods.
I guess I play for the San Diego chargers.

Anker is my go-to, I’ve got a bunch of them through the house. Good quality and good price.

The dumb little Apple cube chargers are slow anyway.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A lot of things have chargers built in. For example, our chairs, our couch , my daughter’s bed frame, our laptops, our desktop, our power strips, the TVs, cars, etc. Slow charging increases a battery’s lifespan.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Power delivery is the way to go with modern iPhones. Get an Anker 511 30W cube with a USB-C port ($20), and a USB-C (or USB-C --> Lightning) cable that supports PD, and really fast charge the phone.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
And, of course, there’s a hefty USB-C charger in every MacBook package.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Freaking Apple. I'm not sure why people put up with their crap.

On our Alaska trip, I brought a cigarette-lighter adapter with 2 USB-A ports, because I knew we'd be in the car most of the days, and likely wouldn't have access to grid power most places. If figured with a 2-port adapter we could easily take turns and keep everybody's stuff charged up. Our Motorola phones are USB-C and come with a USB-A to USB-C charging cord, so they work with pretty much every device ever made. The car even had a built-in USB-A port in the console, as did the airplane seats.

The two other guys that came with us had Apple phones, which apparently come with cords that use some goofy connector other than a standard USB-A plug. They also didn't think to bring a 12v power adapter with their proprietary plug on it. As a result, they could only charge at a wall outlet and were SOL with dead batteries most of the trip.

Apple makes nice stuff, but their insistence on doing everything their own way instead of complying with industry standards does a disservice to their customers.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Freaking Apple. I'm not sure why people put up with their crap.

You can hate on Apple all you want, but this isn't an Apple issue and USB-C isn't "proprietary" as you've indicated.
quote:
USB-C is undeniably the superior connection type due to its higher data transfer rates, ability to charge large electronics and symmetrical connection port. This is why it's becoming the industry standard and will become ubiquitous in the near future.

tom's Guide; USB-C vs. USB-A: What’s the difference?

In other news, there are clouds outside today needing a good scolding! Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slow charging increases a battery’s lifespan.

Almost. It's more like slow charging doesn't shorten the life of the battery nearly as stupidly fast as fast charging does.

It's as if fast chargers are the insidious means to compel people into considering buying a new phone more often than they otherwise would need to by quietly deteriorating the existing phone's Li-based battery faster than it normally would. As if companies like Anker are actually in cahoots with phone makers to be their unforeseen enablers...after all, it's not Apple, Samsung, Google and all the rest who are the ones supplying those fast charging wall warts, right?

Nah, it couldn't be so nefarious as to device makers having active obsolescence strategies...right?

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post