SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spam Texts!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spam Texts! Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Getting inundated with spam text messages, addressed to 'Elizabeth', 5-7 per day, every day (maybe inundated isn't the proper word).

Less intrusive than the spam calls (which I still get 3-5 per week), but annoying.

Related to everything from Netflix discounts, Apple product testing, cheap home rentals & insurance.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Block the number from contacting you again.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've been deleting them, but I don't believe I've had 2 come from the same number, same as the spam calls.

Will have to look as the next few come in.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If I was getting spam texts at that kind of rate I'd have to seriously look into how to turn off text messaging entirely and turning it on only for 2FA.

I really wish mobile OS makers would include user-definable filters in their text messaging apps.

I get regular spam texts for all kinds of political races in Georgia and Atlanta--many addressed to "William." I don't live in Georgia and my phone number has a S.E. Michigan area code and exchange. (Yes, I know that in today's number portability world that means little.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are from hot chix wanting me to get with them. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can block numbers till the cows come home and it won't help . That only works for legit calls / texts . This junk you're getting is using spoofed numbers . I've gotten two calls from my own number .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

My email inbox is inundated with those! I just dump them and move on since I see no valid way to block them.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4544 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

My email inbox is inundated with those! I just dump them and move on since I see no valid way to block them.
I just reply and quote my fee schedule for stud services. Haven't had any of them take me up on that, yet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30530 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
If I was getting spam texts at that kind of rate I'd have to seriously look into how to turn off text messaging entirely and turning it on only for 2FA.

I really wish mobile OS makers would include user-definable filters in their text messaging apps.

I get regular spam texts for all kinds of political races in Georgia and Atlanta--many addressed to "William." I don't live in Georgia and my phone number has a S.E. Michigan area code and exchange. (Yes, I know that in today's number portability world that means little.)

I’ve got a 313 area code too. Every election cycle I get texts to “jerry” wanting me to vote for every hot mess liberal pot freedom free money and housing manure pile they think up. Texting back stop only seems to get me more. Profane reply’s only from me going forward.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1115 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Tons of political ones the last couple weeks.

May the spam texters get kidney stones and shingles at the same time

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23086 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I recently started getting text messages that are from like a five digit number not even a legit phone number so you can’t text back STOP. They usually contain a link to click on to claim my prize from Home Depot or something like that.

I have all calls blocked that are not in my contact list. I still see a missed call but my phone won’t ring or vibrate. Going to have to look to see if I can block texts in the same way.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2 in the last 24 hours, both addressed to Elizabeth, like all the others. Full 10 digit numbers, but always a new one.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We were driving to Las Vegas when my phone stated pinging with multiple
texts from 5 digit numbers. All want me connect or to text “stop.”

They must capture cellphones as they connect with the towers.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This is new. Just had a spam text related to Whole Foods this morning. (Didn't even read it.) Went to block the number when I saw a "Report as spam to Apple and delete" as an option.

Interesting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was pleasantly surprised that I went 10 whole days without a spam junk phone call.

Then yesterday I had 3 of those. So far none yet today, but there was a solicitor on my front porch awhile ago.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I recently started getting text messages that are from like a five digit number not even a legit phone number so you can’t text back STOP. They usually contain a link to click on to claim my prize from Home Depot or something like that.
Someone claiming to be from Trump's team must've texted me a 50x from a 5 digit number like this trying to get me to join some newfangled social media site.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23086 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
You can block numbers till the cows come home and it won't help...

Yep. Every day I get two or three texts from Republicans (Tim Scott, my gov Kim Reynolds, my Sen Joni Ernst, DJT, etc.) asking for money. I block each number but they just use another one.

I'll give money to my gov and senator but not thru a text.

So far nothing from the hot babes...

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

So far nothing from the hot babes.
What's your number? I can forward some of my extras to you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30530 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post