SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Painting a car. They make it look SO SIMPLE!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a car. They make it look SO SIMPLE!!! Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice Fox.
My college roommate, that I've known since we were 10 yrs old, had 3 at one point and a 66 Coupe.
He had a black 92 notchback/coupe that he was building a 347 stroker for, daily'ed a 90 4cyl hatchback and had a 3rd for parts.

Pretty sure the Foxes are all gone, the engine is still sitting on an engine stand & the poor 66 is sitting in a field by his grandparents house.

Back to paint talk. My Midget has what I think is a cheap Maaco/Earl Sheib job. Lots of little issues around the car, paint-wise. I'm 99% sure they didn't pull the rubber bumpers to paint and did a poor masking job as there's overspray in odd places & just seems off where the bumpers would be.

SC's mobile paint service is going to need to tandem with a storage lot for SigForum's Paint Booth Queue.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

In reality it is much more complicated than that. When painting a car, the metalworking and surface preparation is as or more important than the actual painting. Not too different from refinishing a gun. This is where much of the labor comes from. I doubt if very many cars actually got painted for $99.95, even in 1986, or they got a really shitty job, with just a coat of paint over all the dents and scratches.

A little more realistic depiction of what goes into painting a car can be found on the Motor Trend Channel program Fantomworks.

My Dad told me about Earl Scheib paint jobs Big Grin

He said the company would paint your car for $19.95 and when he said paint your car, they would PAINT your car. Someone in his family took a car there in the 1970's and they painted EVERYTHING; the chrome, the rubber, the wipers, the bumpers. I think the only thing not covered in paint was the windows.

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

My Dad told me about Earl Scheib paint jobs Big Grin

He said the company would paint your car for $19.95 and when he said paint your car, they would PAINT your car. Someone in his family took a car there in the 1970's and they painted EVERYTHING; the chrome, the rubber, the wipers, the bumpers.
I think the only thing not covered in paint was the windows.

My first car (which I will not admit in public) for a few months was a hand-me-down-family 65 Dodge Polara Station Wagon. Frown
One summer in early 70's I sanded it down by hand and drove up to Davenport, Iowa to have it painted by Earl Schieb .
Went from white to bright blue. Eek
Had it painted during the day, hung out at the YMCA with my brother, met a couple Pro Wrestlers working out there but their names escape me but they wrestled with the Verne Gagne Group.
Drove it home later that day.
$39 .... complete. Smile
Glad to move on to a better car shortly after that.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK it will be this glossy glass black when I'm done.
And this isn't even cut and buffed yet.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39875 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Ohh goodness! That looks great.
I need to get this thing rolling.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25721 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought a mid-price spray gun probably 40 years ago. A bodyman friend and I fixed some bank repos for resale. Next we bought a rolled over Dodge Power Wagon, fixed it up and made a bundle. Lots of priming and painting.

I’ve used that gun to paint all sorts of crap around the place. Our last home came with steel exterior doors that were grey primer. I bought a gallon of Chevy white and shot them all. They looked perfect after 20 years.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4280 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

He said the company [Earl Scheib] would paint your car for $19.95 and when he said paint your car, they would PAINT your car. Someone in his family took a car there in the 1970's and they painted EVERYTHING; the chrome, the rubber, the wipers, the bumpers.
Back then cars used a lot of chrome trim strips along fender edges, around wheel wells and down sides. It was impractical to remove them for painting because the trim itself, as well as the metal and fastening holes underneath, would be rusted. For $_.95 neither removal nor masking it off was going to happen; if it did it would be extra cost. One gets what one pays for. Earl Scheib was, one could say, the Hi-Point pistols of paint jobs.

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
About ten or fifteen years ago MAACO was advertising low priced paint jobs at least in the Detroit market. Always wondered how those held up.

Last paint and body work I had done was around $3500, that was in ‘96 though.

Black92lx, what about the GTO? Any progress?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8410 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's way harder than people think, you have to keep moving correctly to avoid runs and keep the proper distance to avoid orange peel.

Oh, it's simple to do. Painting a car is real easy.

Doing it right is another thing Wink

A ton of prep-work, sanding, Primer,sanding between coats, picking the right kind of paint, clear coats...
I learned a lot in my impetus youth hanging around and working at a Mechanic Shop. One of the things I learned was "I don't want to paint cars"

Much like Drywall, it's more of an "Art form" vs just labor.

Ahhh Earl Scheib!
Yeah, $99.95, any car, any color!
Talk about a "Shoot & scoot" job!
They'd tape the windows, shoot the car, let it (kind of) dry, and scoot it out the door. No prep, no primer, just paint...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8553 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Black92lx, what about the GTO? Any progress?

Not a lick.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25721 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post