SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Painting a car. They make it look SO SIMPLE!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a car. They make it look SO SIMPLE!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I wish! I have the same model just a hatchback. Mine is in much better shape just two very minor rust spots about the size of a quarter.
Black Paint is semi faded!
Man, I wish I could actually do this myself.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25721 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I hear ya. I've been tossing around changing the color on my '68. The quote I got was somewhere between $10-12K. I'm not sure I want to change it that bad.

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's pretty simple. Roll Eyes

Just ask a friend of mine, whose hobby was re-furbing classics. He leased a 1,000 sq ft bay in an industrial park, built a paint booth with proper air pressure control and ventilation, met all the EPA standards, had it inspected and approved by city Code Enforcement.

I don't know what that all cost him, but I do know that it wasn't cheap.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I painted a faded light blue '79 Honda Civic in HS metal shop as part of my senior project. 1991, the very next year they eliminated the class Frown

It's way harder than people think, you have to keep moving correctly to avoid runs and keep the proper distance to avoid orange peel.

I *thought* I'd picked out a nice flame-red paint but after it dried it was way more orangey than I had realized, but the experience was fun nonetheless. Got an A in that class and a senior award too.

I lived within walking distance of Eastwood in Pottstown, PA for almost 8 years.

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heck those guys on TeeVee can build do all the metal work, prime, block sand, paint, block and final clear in under an hour, how hard could it be LOL

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Inflatable paint booth. Many sizes available.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/inflata...flatable+spray+booth

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1584 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Inflatable paint booth. Many sizes available.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/inflata...flatable+spray+booth

Cheaper than I expected them to be

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
did my camaro myself back in the 80s. with cans. did not come out too well. lol

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8180 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK I can paint car on occasion.
I bought the 30X20X12 Vevor inflatable paint booth, it was about $1000.

I just did a red candy over Tornado silver RX7 for a friend.
And shot the red candy over his new wheels.

PREP is everything. Having a good gun is next.
You don't have to have top shelf paint but it helps a little.
I like the better clears, they'll lay like glass.

Oh black is EASY to paint.
Your first coat will look like hot garbage. ignore that. It will flow out.
Each coat after that will flow better and batter.
The clear will flow like glass on the last coat too.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39875 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Mazda looks good

Corvette looks upset it's not getting attention Razz

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's a sharp FC, I've always been partial to them over the FB, FD & RX8

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I hear ya. I've been tossing around changing the color on my '68. The quote I got was somewhere between $10-12K. I'm not sure I want to change it that bad.

I am keeping the same color so cost will be much less as there is no reason to do any of the jambs.
Luckily the body is in great shape. My mouldings are perfect with no waves at all.
I have one spot of rust on the hatch and on a rear quarter panel that needs to be addressed.
The hood is gorgeous was painted not long before me obtaining it. The fella painted it this beautiful dark red metallic. I am going to keep everything black so the top of the hood will be resprayed in black however I like the red a lot so I will keep the under side of the hood red for a bit of a color splash.

I am replacing the radiator, A/C condenser, and fan so while those are out I am going to spray the core support satin black.
When I pull the motor I am going to spray the engine bay satin black.
These I am comfortable doing myself. Spraying the entire car myself, not so much.

This Cosmic Black plastidip does kind of look pretty good. I may get the rust taken care of and try to do this myself.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

It's way harder than people think, you have to keep moving correctly to avoid runs and keep the proper distance to avoid orange peel.

People have no idea. I worked in a metal fabrication shop through High School and college.
I became the paint guy. However everything we did was pretty much electrical box grey.
Most of the stuff I painted were custom electrical boxes/ enclosures ranging in all sorts of sizes. That was was not too bad of a job to spray the paint was on the thicker side and more of a matte finish so the pain was super forgiving.

quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
OK I can paint car on occasion.
I bought the 30X20X12 Vevor inflatable paint booth, it was about $1000.

I just did a red candy over Tornado silver RX7 for a friend.
And shot the red candy over his new wheels.

PREP is everything. Having a good gun is next.
You don't have to have top shelf paint but it helps a little.

If you ever feel like coming to Kentucky bring your inflatable spray booth with you!
I have plenty of room on my back driveway to set it up and a pretty nice compressor.

————————————————

Shaman
posted Hide Post
You know, my buddy and I tossed around the idea of a mobile paint business.
Show up at 7am and pull the car out around 3 or so.
A you prep it and we paint it thing.
And if you want it hit with high build primer first, I can do that the weekend or so before then come back.
A booth isn't necessary for this, just don't shoot it on hot metal. Early in the morning is best.

If they want to supply the paint, I'll recommend the amount and supplier.

Black is cheap. About $300 to do the whole car, paint and clear, no sealer though. Sealer is another $100 or so.

The C3 is getting sealed, primer/filler then block sanded.
Going back with silver and some sparkles in the mid coat under the clear.

Posts: 39875 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, my buddy and I tossed around the idea of a mobile paint business.
Show up at 7am and pull the car out around 3 or so.
A you prep it and we paint it thing.
And if you want it hit with high build primer first, I can do that the weekend or so before then come back.
A booth isn't necessary for this, just don't shoot it on hot metal. Early in the morning is best.

If they want to supply the paint, I'll recommend the amount and supplier.

Black is cheap. About $300 to do the whole car, paint and clear, no sealer though. Sealer is another $100 or so.

The C3 is getting sealed, primer/filler then block sanded.
Going back with silver and some sparkles in the mid coat under the clear.

Hmmmm. If I remember correctly you are in Georgia?
We take a vacation to Florida every summer. Our Suburban has the tow package. I could rent a Uhaul car hauler and drop the mustang off at your place on the way down and pick it up on the way home!
Sound like a deal??

————————————————

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

In reality it is much more complicated than that. When painting a car, the metalworking and surface preparation is as or more important than the actual painting. Not too different from refinishing a gun. This is where much of the labor comes from. I doubt if very many cars actually got painted for $99.95, even in 1986, or they got a really shitty job, with just a coat of paint over all the dents and scratches.

A little more realistic depiction of what goes into painting a car can be found on the Motor Trend Channel program Fantomworks.

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I remember a Earl Scheib paint job on a Ford pickup that came into the gas station I worked at in ‘68. One of the type with the gas filler behind the driver’s door. It had been out of the shop for a couple of days according to the owner and I rested my hand on the door while filling it up.

I left a real nice palm print on it……. The owner wasn’t pissed though, she was taking it back the next day anyhow. Seems she wasn’t enamored with the tires being painted together with the body either.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8410 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Black, I'm in very North Georgia. Not too far out of the way going South from Kentucky.

Drop it off for a week, John and I will tape it up and shoot it!

I use the High Tech HFP250 for black.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Black, I'm in very North Georgia. Not too far out of the way going South from Kentucky.

Drop it off for a week, John and I will tape it up and shoot it!

I use the High Tech HFP250 for black.

If I can get this thing where it needs to be by summer we may be talking!!

————————————————

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
This was in the late 70's, my buddy had a 67 GTO and was taking it to Earl Scheib. He did all the prep, took off all chrome even bumpers, masked everything and wet sanded the car. Got the most expensive job they had which was 99.00 I think. Came back gorgeous but then again it was shot plain white. Prep was everything.

Posts: 5349 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So the Mustang is currently rocking a 25 year old Maaco paint job. Car is straight as an arrow and always has been.
When I got the car 25 years ago the hood was fading for some reason. Kind of weird as the rest of the car was fine. Straight, no dings, nothing. I paid $400 for the top of the line minimal prep Maaco job. It was a hell of a paint job $400 was all I could afford in high school.
The paint is not bad at all just faded. Pretty sure Maaco used a “built in clear coat” so I am not really sure how it would polish up. Plus I have a couple rust spots to fix and need the hood painted black and the front bumper is red.

When I say straight as an arrow, I mean straight as an arrow! A little dusty at the moment however.

This was 3 or 4 years after the Maaco paint job. Not washed for the picture or anything.

————————————————