SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I was banned on another forum...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
I was banned on another forum... Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Apparently at some point someone was banned by IP in the same general block and my phone was collateral damage. Smile
Sounds like there's a forum admin who doesn't really know what they're doing. A good admin will always try to minimize the type of thing you're describing. Also, a good admin uses their experience and their instincts to ferret out or block troublemakers, and not coarse methods such as banning large ranges of IP addresses.
 
Posts: 95369 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
They state my account is no longer banned, only my IP address.

But I cannot log in at work home or on my mobile. Using local IP or VPN.

So I'm just moving on. Not that important a forum at the end of the day. Not worth the time investing more than the two emails I sent.





13 years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 4301 | Location: Seoul | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
They state my account is no longer banned, only my IP address.
Clumsy

I'm curious- do me a favor, OttoSig and use the report-this-post-function to tell me the name of the forum in question. You don't have to do this, of course, but I'm wondering who it is who can't straighten this out for you.
 
Posts: 95369 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks, OttoSig. Never heard of 'em. Then again, I don't get around to other forums much these days.
 
Posts: 95369 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
<<snip>>

I tell you all this so you can get a glimpse off what it's like guarding the gateway to a discussion forum. Each time someone registers, you must approach it with scepticism.


Feel free to use SIGforum and my name as a reference if you contact them to appeal your banishment, although, depending upon the forum in question, that may get you banned for eternity.

**edit**

I just went through the registrations submitted overnight. I approved two of them, and denied seven. That's typical.

I honestly do not understand how you can tolerate this kind of crap, day-in and day-out! It's bad enough you have to put up with members like me (LOL), but the serious BS would be more than I could handle... and it sounds like most of yours is pretty serious!

Thanks for what you do for this place, 7-days a week!!!


Bill R.
North Alabama
 
Posts: 3888 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I screen every application for membership to this forum. ...<clip>... Selling in Classifieds- if I see anyone using a VPN in Classifieds, I take a look at their posting history. If all their posts are in Classifieds, goodbye. ...<clip>...

For every well-meaning person registering for this forum, there are roughly four suspicious registrations, ...<clip>...

I've got foreign access screwed down so tight now, I'm beginning to slow their attempts. ...<clip>...

I tell you all this so you can get a glimpse off what it's like guarding the gateway to a discussion forum. Each time someone registers, you must approach it with scepticism.
...


THIS is a huge part of what makes this place so great. It's no accident that the membership here is so fantastically trustworthy. If good fences make good neighbors, good borders allow for good communities.

Thanks Para!
 
Posts: 10175 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I honestly do not understand how you can tolerate this kind of crap, day-in and day-out!
I don't tolerate it- I love it. Lock and key. It's a perfect fit for me. I love keeping these half-smart jerks out of this place and I love busting them if they make it through all the barb wire.

Don't worry about me. I'm happy
 
Posts: 95369 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

It's no accident that the membership here is so fantastically trustworthy.

Thanks Para!


Not that you're looking for it Rogue, but evidence to support your claim as follows:

I purchased two P225's from members here, paid in full and they held the firearm several months until I could get close enough to my return date (less than 90 days), and they then shipped to my FFL.

Another member is holding the Kahles scope I just purchased, until I can get home to my final destination.

I wouldn't trust 90% of my family members to hold my belongings of that value. But I'll trust long-time members here in a heartbeat.





13 years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 4301 | Location: Seoul | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I screen every application for membership to this forum. Using a VPN to submit your application for membership to this forum- denied, automatically. I send them a message saying "Feel free to re-register when not using a VPN to connect to us."

India, Pakistan- denied, automatically, because that is the land of scammers, in a big, big way. Hell, I get registrations from freaking Bejing. Denied, automatically. Vietnam- denied, usually. Africa with the exception of South Africa- denied, automatically. Russia? Not a freakin' chance. They keep trying over and over. Some are bots, but some are real people trying to get in.

South Korea, I have and will probably continue to approve these registrations, assuming a VPN is not used during the process. The Philippines is iffy but usually gets in.

Selling in Classifieds- if I see anyone using a VPN in Classifieds, I take a look at their posting history. If all their posts are in Classifieds, goodbye. If they appear to be a legitimate member, I'll tell them to cease using a VPN for commerce in this forum. If they keep doing it, boom.
Randomly, I search user IP addresses for duplicate IPs. If I find evidence someone is actively using more than one account in Classifieds, all those accounts are nuked.

For every well-meaning person registering for this forum, there are roughly four suspicious registrations, mostly from India and Pakistan. Usually, I simply delete the registration, then block the IP address up to the last octet. IOW, if they come in on, say, 44.127.66.23 I block 44.127.66. . Some of you who know what I'm talking about will ask why I do it this way. I have my reasons. Everytime I block the IP, here they come again from another direction but I've got foreign access screwed down so tight now, I'm beginning to slow their attempts. I've actually emailed some of these jerks and said, look, you can keep trying from now until the sun burns out, but you are not getting in.

What gets you in is not disguising your location with a VPN, and registering from a location in any of the 50 states and Puerto Rico. Great Britain and the European continent gets in as well, except Germany seems to be a problem these days. Central and South America gets in.

Oh, and Canada. Big Grin

I tell you all this so you can get a glimpse off what it's like guarding the gateway to a discussion forum. Each time someone registers, you must approach it with scepticism.


Feel free to use SIGforum and my name as a reference if you contact them to appeal your banishment, although, depending upon the forum in question, that may get you banned for eternity.

**edit**

I just went through the registrations submitted overnight. I approved two of them, and denied seven. That's typical.


All this is probably the reason that SIGFORUM is the most reliable functioning site that I regularly use on the internet! If I'm getting slow loading on a site I check out SIGFORUM because it always loads properly unless something is wrong. Lots of work for Para I'm sure but I for one certainly appreciate it.


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4075 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you but the responsibility for our 99.99999% uptime and lightning fast response times is due to the competence and skill or our excellent host.
 
Posts: 95369 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I honestly do not understand how you can tolerate this kind of crap, day-in and day-out!
I don't tolerate it- I love it. Lock and key. It's a perfect fit for me. I love keeping these half-smart jerks out of this place and I love busting them if they make it through all the barb wire.

Don't worry about me. I'm happy

LOL... got it! Glad it makes you happy, and even MORE glad that somebody as good as you takes care of such things so the rest of us don't have to! Big Grin


Bill R.
North Alabama
 
Posts: 3888 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm a real dinosaur, I had to look up VPN to see what Smile I'm missing.


___________________________
Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible.
 
Posts: 7209 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I screen every application for membership to this forum. Using a VPN to submit your application for membership to this forum- denied, automatically. I send them a message saying "Feel free to re-register when not using a VPN to connect to us."

India, Pakistan- denied, automatically, because that is the land of scammers, in a big, big way. Hell, I get registrations from freaking Bejing. Denied, automatically. Vietnam- denied, usually. Africa with the exception of South Africa- denied, automatically. Russia? Not a freakin' chance. They keep trying over and over. Some are bots, but some are real people trying to get in.

South Korea, I have and will probably continue to approve these registrations, assuming a VPN is not used during the process. The Philippines is iffy but usually gets in.

Selling in Classifieds- if I see anyone using a VPN in Classifieds, I take a look at their posting history. If all their posts are in Classifieds, goodbye. If they appear to be a legitimate member, I'll tell them to cease using a VPN for commerce in this forum. If they keep doing it, boom.
Randomly, I search user IP addresses for duplicate IPs. If I find evidence someone is actively using more than one account in Classifieds, all those accounts are nuked.

For every well-meaning person registering for this forum, there are roughly four suspicious registrations, mostly from India and Pakistan. Usually, I simply delete the registration, then block the IP address up to the last octet. IOW, if they come in on, say, 44.127.66.23 I block 44.127.66. . Some of you who know what I'm talking about will ask why I do it this way. I have my reasons. Everytime I block the IP, here they come again from another direction but I've got foreign access screwed down so tight now, I'm beginning to slow their attempts. I've actually emailed some of these jerks and said, look, you can keep trying from now until the sun burns out, but you are not getting in.

What gets you in is not disguising your location with a VPN, and registering from a location in any of the 50 states and Puerto Rico. Great Britain and the European continent gets in as well, except Germany seems to be a problem these days. Central and South America gets in.

Oh, and Canada. Big Grin

I tell you all this so you can get a glimpse off what it's like guarding the gateway to a discussion forum. Each time someone registers, you must approach it with scepticism.


Feel free to use SIGforum and my name as a reference if you contact them to appeal your banishment, although, depending upon the forum in question, that may get you banned for eternity.

**edit**

I just went through the registrations submitted overnight. I approved two of them, and denied seven. That's typical.


Where do you find the time?


John

I am ready to "Make America Great Again."

 
Posts: 1620 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Any thing, any place, any person you love- you'll find the time.
 
Posts: 95369 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
For my edification I was thinking about getting a VPN. Since I've been a member here since 2005 will I be allowed to log on?


_________________________
OH, Bonnie McMurray!
 
Posts: 6345 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
For my edification I was thinking about getting a VPN. Since I've been a member here since 2005 will I be allowed to log on?

I'm going to guess you'll be ok, unless you start some funny stuff.
VPNs have On/off switches if you have problems using a website or app. I meet up w/ some friends on Discord sometimes and I seem to have to turn off my VPN.
 
Posts: 6246 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

For my edification I was thinking about getting a VPN. Since I've been a member here since 2005 will I be allowed to log on?
What have you got to lose, by trying?

My guess is that screening for VPNs is done when initially signing up to be a member, but once you have a login ID and password, you'll be good to go whether or not you're routed via a VPN.



Any cocktail can be a shrimp cocktail if you put your mind to it, and if you carry lots of loose shrimp in your pocket.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 25839 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

For my edification I was thinking about getting a VPN. Since I've been a member here since 2005 will I be allowed to log on?
What have you got to lose, by trying?

My guess is that screening for VPNs is done when initially signing up to be a member, but once you have a login ID and password, you'll be good to go whether or not you're routed via a VPN.


On my mobile device the Site will not allow me to log in when on VPN. Conversely, it will on my desktop.

Other sites I frequent such as SGammo, PSA, other vendors, are the exact opposite, they will not let me view the site from a foreign IP.

All part of being overseas for me, I just roll with whatever I need to do.





13 years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 4301 | Location: Seoul | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
For my edification I was thinking about getting a VPN. Since I've been a member here since 2005 will I be allowed to log on?
Stay out of Classifieds with it.
 
Posts: 95369 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
No problem I've never done business there.


_________________________
OH, Bonnie McMurray!
 
Posts: 6345 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I was banned on another forum...

© SIGforum 2021