SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I was banned on another forum...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was banned on another forum... Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
No explanation, said I was a scammer lol.

I hate the internet more and more everyday.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I moderate elsewhere,,, and have banned a schload of folks as spammers,

seems to be a trend where things will be quiet a few days then all of a sudden an influx,

but I also check IP addresses, to verify

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Did you try reaching out to the forum admins to ask them what was up?

I note you claim to be in Seoul. Are you perchance using a VPN?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I assume it was because I use a VPN sometimes.

I also connect while at work at that shows as a Japanese IP.

Using a VPN while overseas in almost a must.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I assume it was because I use a VPN sometimes.

I also connect while at work at that shows as a Japanese IP.

Using a VPN while overseas in almost a must.

Hate to say it, but IPs from that region, combined with VPN use: Yeah, that might tend to raise questions.

I don't see much, if any, abuse from .jp network space, but I see plenty of it from China, Viet Nam, and Korea. And some web forum admins prohibit the use of VPNs entirely.

If the forum in question is at all important to you, I'd try reaching out to the admins.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I sent them a message. Not too important but a good firearms resource.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I screen every application for membership to this forum. Using a VPN to submit your application for membership to this forum- denied, automatically. I send them a message saying "Feel free to re-register when not using a VPN to connect to us."

India, Pakistan- denied, automatically, because that is the land of scammers, in a big, big way. Hell, I get registrations from freaking Bejing. Denied, automatically. Vietnam- denied, usually. Africa with the exception of South Africa- denied, automatically. Russia? Not a freakin' chance. They keep trying over and over. Some are bots, but some are real people trying to get in.

South Korea, I have and will probably continue to approve these registrations, assuming a VPN is not used during the process. The Philippines is iffy but usually gets in.

Selling in Classifieds- if I see anyone using a VPN in Classifieds, I take a look at their posting history. If all their posts are in Classifieds, goodbye. If they appear to be a legitimate member, I'll tell them to cease using a VPN for commerce in this forum. If they keep doing it, boom.
Randomly, I search user IP addresses for duplicate IPs. If I find evidence someone is actively using more than one account in Classifieds, all those accounts are nuked.

For every well-meaning person registering for this forum, there are roughly four suspicious registrations, mostly from India and Pakistan. Usually, I simply delete the registration, then block the IP address up to the last octet. IOW, if they come in on, say, 44.127.66.23 I block 44.127.66. . Some of you who know what I'm talking about will ask why I do it this way. I have my reasons. Everytime I block the IP, here they come again from another direction but I've got foreign access screwed down so tight now, I'm beginning to slow their attempts. I've actually emailed some of these jerks and said, look, you can keep trying from now until the sun burns out, but you are not getting in.

What gets you in is not disguising your location with a VPN, and registering from a location in any of the 50 states and Puerto Rico. Great Britain and the European continent gets in as well, except Germany seems to be a problem these days. Central and South America gets in.

Oh, and Canada. Big Grin

I tell you all this so you can get a glimpse off what it's like guarding the gateway to a discussion forum. Each time someone registers, you must approach it with scepticism.

Feel free to use SIGforum and my name as a reference if you contact them to appeal your banishment, although, depending upon the forum in question, that may get you banned for eternity.

**edit**

I just went through the registrations submitted overnight. I approved two of them, and denied seven. That's typical.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I screen every application for membership to this forum. Using a VPN to submit your application for membership to this forum- denied, automatically. I send them a message saying "Feel free to re-register when not using a VPN to connect to us."

India, Pakistan- denied, automatically, because that is the land of scammers, in a big, big way. Hell, I get registrations from freaking Bejing. Denied, automatically. Vietnam- denied, usually. Africa with the exception of South Africa- denied, automatically. Russia? Not a freakin' chance. They keep trying over and over. Some are bots, but some are real people trying to get in.

South Korea, I have and will probably continue to approve these registrations, assuming a VPN is not used during the process. The Philippines is iffy but usually gets in.

Selling in Classifieds- if I see anyone using a VPN in Classifieds, I take a look at their posting history. If all their posts are in Classifieds, goodbye. If they appear to be a legitimate member, I'll tell them to cease using a VPN for commerce in this forum. If they keep doing it, boom.
Randomly, I search user IP addresses for duplicate IPs. If I find evidence someone is actively using more than one account in Classifieds, all those accounts are nuked.

For every well-meaning person registering for this forum, there are roughly four suspicious registrations, mostly from India and Pakistan. Usually, I simply delete the registration, then block the IP address up to the last octet. IOW, if they come in on, say, 44.127.66.23 I block 44.127.66. . Some of you who know what I'm talking about will ask why I do it this way. I have my reasons. Everytime I block the IP, here they come again from another direction but I've got foreign access screwed down so tight now, I'm beginning to slow their attempts. I've actually emailed some of these jerks and said, look, you can keep trying from now until the sun burns out, but you are not getting in.

What gets you in is not disguising your location with a VPN, and registering from a location in any of the 50 states and Puerto Rico. Great Britain and the European continent gets in as well, except Germany seems to be a problem these days. Central and South America gets in.

Oh, and Canada. Big Grin

I tell you all this so you can get a glimpse off what it's like guarding the gateway to a discussion forum. Each time someone registers, you must approach it with scepticism.

Feel free to use SIGforum and my name as a reference if you contact them to appeal your banishment, although, depending upon the forum in question, that may get you banned for eternity.

**edit**

I just went through the registrations submitted overnight. I approved two of them, and denied seven. That's typical.

Appreciate your diligence, Para.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
You described a lot of work, Para.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's only work if you don't love what you're doing, and I love knocking down these sons o' bitches. Love it.

And the trolls and scammers who are in the states and manage to get in to the forum, I've got a pretty good nose to sniff out those bastards, too.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Para, thanks for permitting those of us who sometimes use VPNs. I will often login using a computer with a VPN kill switch, so turning off the VPN is a pain. I will usually switch to a U.S. IP, but I sometimes forget. It's good to know your thinking on how you man the walls. If I ever engage the classifieds again, I'll be sure to expose my native IP.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The initial post had me thinking of the banned epithet as seen on other forums. When the 'net was first getting started there was (still is) a lot of crazy stuff. I conjectured that some normal person visiting a wiccan or druggie forum had posted something like 'I love Jesus and the Bible', and the mods went crazy like baboons on cocaine.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sorry, your point?

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
It is surprising what can be the basis for banning.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anything can be a basis for banishment. Expressed opinions contrary to the accepted/established religious views of the majority of members of a forum and/or forum management is not at all a surprising reason for banishment.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
It is surprising what can be the basis for banning.

In the forum that I admin, insults, idiocy, and failure to heed a warning are the trifecta.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I belong to Facebook because my kids post pictures of my grandkids which are nice to see. My FB feed from time to time includes miscellaneous random articles on various topics. So there was an article about the spotted lantern butterfly, an invasive insect from China that is killing trees, ruining vineyards and causing other mayhem here in NJ. So I posted a remark that these insects are bad invaders from China. I ended the post by saying KILL THEM ALL.

So I got a message from Facebook saying that my post was deleted and I was guilty of promoting "hate speech." That's right. I said bad things about invasive INSECTS and suggested that should all be killed. So that's hate speech. I was warned that should it happen again, I would be permanently banned from Facebook.

There was an option to file a protest which I did submit. I received a decision reversing the decision to delete my post. It was reposted. No explanation was offered other than to say the decision was reversed. So I am happy to report that it's okay to say mean things about invasive insects on Facebook. I wonder what FB would have done if I had suggested that the insects should be shot.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
We appreciate you, Para, and the work you put into this site.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I don’t even know how to access VPN. Guess I’m safe. Wink

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to log in other ways? There's a forum I'm a moderator on, that if I try to log in with my phone, it says I'm banned. Apparently at some point someone was banned by IP in the same general block and my phone was collateral damage. Smile

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post