SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Concerts…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concerts… Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
You can still go and get great seats for a reasonable price. You just have to be willing to wait it out until the last minute in the parking lot or at the box office. I've done it countless times and I've always, always scored. I've run two laptops, refreshing the screens every few minutes for days until - ta da - they released the good block right before the show, scored 7th row for VH in front of Eddie's mic for face value a day before the show. Done the same for countless Rush concerts by just going early with a wad of cash in the pocket and finding the right guy whose two friends couldn't make the show and just wanted to get something out of those two tix. The insane prices are for the people who have to have tix in hand on the day they go on sale. Those tix do nothing for me until the day of the show and I can wait until then.

^^ This - has worked for us every time. Smile
And with reputable online secondary market sales, its even easier. There are always a few tickets that don't sell, and they drop down to very low prices the day of the show.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

There is nothing wrong about doing things separate but What if she has no one else to go with? Is there any circumstance where you would do something you don’t want to do simply because your wife asked and you know she would enjoy it?

I find it odd that you don’t think it looks good for a long term relationship.
I think it looks very good for a long term relationship if one is willing to make a simple sacrifice for your significant other simply because you know it will make them happy.

You win. I think my original thought was based on a new relationship because of the term "girlfriend" and I hadn't considered this could already be a long term relationship. Seeing so many younger guys being emasculated these days and the attitude of young women thinking they deserve everything, has jaded my perspective.

But, in retrospect, I actually bought my ex wife tickets to Barry Manilow once and when none of her friends could go I went with her. Funny thing was that I knew every damn song he sang at that show.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The Downeaster Alexa,

I'll make an exception for this one. Good tune. Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've seen Manilow twice. Great show.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I am late to this discussion, but wow.
First, congratulations to you sir. You have a girlfriend of 4 years and have not caved in and gotten engaged/married? That's amazing.

Second, I have done events the wife likes and you just suffer through it. One thing that helps is if you play up the event and lean into it to make her think you are all in. Then book a hotel room and let her know ahead that there will be an after party. Look forward to that after party.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Way back when when I was dating - I went to a lot of functions that I never had much interest in.
I imagine I even drug a few dates to places they didn't care for as well.
That's just how it works. Eek

Hence it's not about the concert.

I do concur that concerts today are largely worse than back in the day.
To top off the facts of the performer is past their prime and the pricing is beyond reticules.
Some exceptions of course but all I can say is "those were the good ole days". Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the concert, have fun and take out the the ticket price in trade. Wink

My wife and I go to quite a few concerts, but when she told me that she had to see Paul McCartney a few years ago, I asked her to go with some girl friends of hers. Four of them had a great time and I was so happy that I did not have to go. $250 well spent.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
- UPDATE -

I bought the tickets. Main floor, center. Row40.

She’ll be happy, and like I said, she’s pretty damn good to me so I don’t mind doing this for her, I just hate leaving my house if I don’t have to.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Well done brother.

What’s money for if you’re not making other people that you love happy?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Good for you, man. I went to a Billy Joel/Elton John concert back in the 90’s. Great performers and I bet Stevie Nicks is, too, otherwise he wouldn’t work with her.
Most importantly, you’re making your partner happy. This typically pays dividends. Embrace it. Have fun!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Billy Joel is playing monthly at MSG this year. Certainly on my list of would like to see but won’t get to.

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
You are saying that you will pay for your girlfriend and yourself to go to a concert that you aren’t interested in? That’s not looking good for long term relationship. My answer would be, “Doesn’t interest me but have fun. “

Odd thoughts on a relationship there.

I am not a fan of James Taylor, but suffered thru (actually fell asleep at one) a half dozen shows with the wife,

conversely, she is not a big fan of PiL, Gang of 4 or Devo, but went with me each time

ETA, she did go to the first Numan show I saw, (30's anniversary of The Pleasure Principle,) but bowed out for the next 2, so I went with a buddy from high school

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
- UPDATE -

I bought the tickets. Main floor, center. Row40.

She’ll be happy, and like I said, she’s pretty damn good to me so I don’t mind doing this for her, I just hate leaving my house if I don’t have to.

It'll be worth it.

I hate going to concerts, I hate going anywhere near Atlanta, I don't care who is playing or what's going on

I have taken the wife of five years to Andrea Bocelli three times, Trans Siberian Orchestra recently, Billy Joel, Fluffy and a few other comedy shows. I venture in to Atl a few times a year to take her to a fancy eatin joint, I'll go with her anywhere and she knows that. The understood exception is Pop Country and Enrique Iglesias, I make sure to pay for one of her girlfriends to go if needed

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good on you brother. I suffered thru Disney on Ice Sunday with the fiancé and her 2 granddaughters, it made the 3 of them happy. I haven’t been to a concert in a few years, you did well with your ticket choice, she will be very happy.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post