SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Nissan engineers' placement of the oil filter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nissan engineers' placement of the oil filter Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The oil filter on the Sea-Doo is much like V-Tail’s Mercedes.

On the other hand, extracting the old oil requires an extraction pump with a tube down the dipstick tube. Then there’s a process requiring cranking the engine several time and extracting oil in between When finished, you only get a little over three quarts out of the five plus the engine holds.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Nissan engineering can be challenging…

Off I go to change the plugs in a Chevy Lumina. Big Grin

Changed the plugs in my Frontier last week. Drivers side about 30 minutes. Passenger side? I understand it’s possible if you own enough swivels. OTH removing the intake manifold gives the opportunity to replace the
gaskets. Good thing it only happens every 100k

Posts: 770 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Nissan engineering can be challenging…

Off I go to change the plugs in a Chevy Lumina. Big Grin

Plugs on the wife's Xterra you have to take off the intake manifold otherwise you can't install plug 1 or 3 and that includes coils/installation.
Luckily you don't have to do this very often.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
To replace the plugs on a Toyota Previa, you'll have to remove the seat, carpet, floor pan, etc...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Wait until a Nissan VQ engine (V6 typically 3.5, used in Maximas, Pathfinders, Muranos and the like) needs a water pump.

Posts: 27936 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
At the risk of thread drift, I have to ask... how nasty a job is that? Confused (2002 VQ owner here.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13491 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think the pugs on the passenger side of the VQ40 were that bad. Easier than a Subi EJ255 in a Legacy GT IMO.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
(2002 VQ owner here.)

The video is a little misleading because in it the engine is out of the car and the front engine mount and belt tensioner are already off. If any parts or tools fall inside, or if despite your best efforts the timing chain gets out of time, it gets really fun.

Another fun Nissan engine is the older VG (V6, 3.0 or 3.3L, used mostly in trucks up to about 2001. I have had a good half dozen that had a miss on cylinder 6, and I find five new or fairly new spark plugs and #6 is completely eaten away. Nobody ever changed #6 because it is between the intake manifold and firewall and can only be done by feel. Some techs like to remove the intake, but that has its own problems. The cavities also fill up with dirt so you can't get a socket over the plug, and this dirt can also fall down the hole when you remove the plug. At least the 3.3 is a free-wheeling engine (pistons and valves won't collide) if the timing belt breaks.

The OP is about Nissan, but they are far from the only car maker who does stupid stuff like this.

Posts: 27936 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post