SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    PSA: If you have high blood pressure, DON'T go furniture shopping!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: If you have high blood pressure, DON'T go furniture shopping! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Mrs. PHPaul has been kvetching about "her" recliner for a couple of years now.

What with one thing and another, we have a couple of spare bucks so I said "Let's go get you a recliner that you like."

Did you know you can spend nearly $4000 on an ordinary mechanical recliner? No power assisted anything? Well, maybe YOU can, but I damn sure ain't!

Fortunately, as we wandered closer to the back of the store, we found a suitable model for roughly half of that and it even has power recline. Not a full lift-assist chair but one of the major bitches about the old one was how hard it was to get the foot rest up an down. This one does it at the push of a button and you can stop it at any point in the process.

And, as we all know, happy wife, happy life...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I need 2 new recliners too. Shopping sucks.

It's not so much the cost of furniture today, it's especially the issue that most of today's furniture is absolutely crap junk flimsy weak stuff.

Sister bought a new living room set. Looks fantastic. Fell apart in about 1 year. Frame issues, material came unsewn, the so called fake leather was even worse than fake leather, it delaminated and came off of whatever that flimsy crappy backing is.

It used to be, not that many years ago, the furniture stores emphasized that this and that furniture was crafted in North Carolina, especially Hickory which had a lot of factories with excellent workers etc.

Not now. We don't see much furniture from china, a lot of it is from viet nam and other Asian countries. It's junk.

More money is spent to make the furniture look really nice, and very little on quality components and workmanship.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I went thru that jungle a few months back.
Said hell no to a few places I went looking.
Then I went to the net [Amazon]
Did lots of lookie lews and said hell with this.
Being a cheep old bastard ,I did not fall for that as the pumped the high end shit also.A couple days later I get adds from hell and the price was right where I felt good about.
Less than three hundred delivered.Not one of the damn electric ones that placed tried to push on me.This chair is like the one I bought from Riches department store back in the seventies that cost me six hundred way back then.
This thing has a bad side for me,I sit in it for a few minutes and fall asleep right in the middle of forged in fire.
Damn thing is made in nam ,its mostly leather and is also a rocker.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently went to Ashley to shop for a new bed. Apparently, Ashley is a province of China. I did something I usually dont do. I looked at the material the bed frames were made of and put together with. These details are mostly well hidden under fancy display bed linens. Based on what I saw, the beds would be shot in less than a year. There is an Amish furniture store in Gwinn. I will look them over next.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, basically any chain furniture store like Ashley is mostly hawking Chinese-made furniture-like items cobbled together from cardboard and MDF these days. Designed to look pretty for ~12 months, then fall apart, get tossed, and make the customer buy a replacement.

You have to look elsewhere (and spend more) to find quality wood furniture that is meant to last.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Flexsteel for the win.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Flexsteel for the win.

That's what I went with a couple years ago. I'm very happy with them.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went Flexsteel as well,
Glad I did.

Be careful
The deer love them , they will sneak in and use them when you are away.
Because , hey,
They will be there for breakfast anyway.
Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We shopped for a sofa when this virus crap started. Saw one at Lazyboy
we liked for 1400, none in stock. Went back a couple weeks ago, same
sofa 2000. Wanted half the money up front, was told I might get delivery
in August. I'll find a Flexsteel dealer that as posted above.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Check around for estate auctions in your area, lots of folks leaving houses full of brand new appliances and furniture, along with tool boxes, tools, lawn equipment, some of it in original packaging or lightly used.

During the dempanic they had a ton of SS fridges available, since more people were passing away and families didn't want or have the ability to travel and deal with it.

Big business, lottsa stuff, I've seen motorcycles, classic and new cars to original matchbox toy car collections...

link to local auction

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ordered a Lazyboy in Jan 2021, we got it last month, they had a problem getting the leather to make it.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thumbs up for flexsteel!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember when furniture said what kind of wood it was, and not color of “finish”? Sigh….

Posts: 391 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flexsteel for the win.

I had such bad luck with Lazyboy that I was going to buy anything but. I spent $10k on Flexsteel sofa and two recliners and now that it’s been 3 years I can finally say it was worth it. I was too embarrassed to even tell anyone that asked how much it was. It’s shocking what good furniture costs these days.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flexsteel for the win.

I had such bad luck with Lazyboy that I was going to buy anything but. I spent $10k on a Flexsteel sofa and two recliners and now that it’s been 3 years I can finally say it was worth it. I was too embarrassed to even tell anyone that asked how much they cost. It’s shocking what good furniture costs these days.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Definitely prepared to be underwhelmed by the quality of furniture these days. My wife and I sat on so many cheaply made uncomfortable couches while shopping for a new one. It's amazing the crap that is out there.
But, it seems you get what you pay for . We found a rather expensive, well built and very comfortable Flexsteel couch. Game over.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I married 28 years ago, we bought a Thomasville bedroom set for 5 grand.
I'll bet it would go for 15 thousand today. I've heard about Stickley being nice
furniture, saw some the other day, good grief the prices are insane!

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if the color or fabric you want is not in stock , be prepared to wait months .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We journeyed to Phoenix last Saturday to get a couch. Two powered recliners and a chaise lounge. $1800. I was hoping for something a little nicer, but she had her heart set on this one. I’m sitting on it now. It’s pretty comfy. Not really my favorite, but she’s happy.

To your point Paul, the one that I really liked, was north of $7000. For the first time in my life, I thought I would need a pair of “depends” when I looked at the price tag. I almost completely shit myself.
It was awesome, and I would love to have it, but there is no way in heaven or hell would I spend seven eight effing grand (after tax) on something to rest my lazy ass on.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We custom ordered a FlexSteel couch and chair in March 2021 and it arrived in Nov 2021. Super comfy, well made and it made me happy to buy USA made furniture. Ashley stuff is JUNK. I will buy used before I buy foreign furniture.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post