SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Rhythmic Drumming in TV Audio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhythmic Drumming in TV Audio Login/Join 
posted
Sometime 6-8 months ago we bought a 65 inch LG TV and a not too expensive Bose soundbar. As time goes by, we are noticing more and more a rhythmic drumming in the audio, mostly with commercials but sometimes during a program or promo for a program. It seems to be in synch with any music playing but the thump, thump, thump is really annoying. Not noticeable when soundbar is off and sound comes through TV speakers. Thinking about getting a different soundbar but anyone else experiencing this?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have SVS subs and that can happen
Do you have an equalizer controls?
If so I would turn down the base during a commercial and see if that fixes it

Posts: 152 | Location: DFW | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we built the house, we had a Samsung 60 inch LCD with 4 Klipsch speakers, a subwoofer and a receiver. My wife found that all too daunting so with this new set up,we got rid of the Klipsch speakers, the sub and the receiver. Now its just TV and soundbar.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There are settings for TV and Movie typically on these sound bars, TV brings voices forward and puts music in the background and Movie is more special effects and other sounds-forward. I’d check that setting and also your bass settings.

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swear a lot of radio stations have a constant bass drone. Lots of music has more bass than I remember from years ago. The same music played from my iPhone over the same radio sounds a bit less bass.
I suspect the audio systems of late simply over play the bass because that seems to be what many people want.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 328 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

It seems to be in synch with any music playing but the thump, thump, thump is really annoying.
I notice the same thing every time this guy drives past my house.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Didls:
I have SVS subs and that can happen
Do you have an equalizer controls?
If so I would turn down the base during a commercial and see if that fixes it

I agree, it could be a poor reproduction of the bass.
It is something you are going to have to play with to get the right level.
But yes ^^^ that is what I would look at first.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Given this only happens with the soundbar going, it could be a resonance issue with the soundbar.

Every mechanical/acoustic device has sound frequencies that they either absorb or enhance, depending on their configuration and materials.

Meaning, that thump thump thump may just be due to the soundbar reacting to certain bass frequency sounds. Perhaps it's the case vibrating against the thing it's mounted to/lying on. It could also be something else being resonated by the bass coming out of the soundbar.

What I'd do is to put the soundbar on something soft like a blanket to see if that has any effect. If not, then see if you can pinpoint exactly what is going thump thump thump. If it's truly coming through the speakers that way, then tweaking the audio settings in your TV (or maybe the soundbar?) is the way to go.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post