SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    AC drain line clogged and overflowed and might have killed my guitar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AC drain line clogged and overflowed and might have killed my guitar Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I just did a major overhaul of my living space. I moved into one of the empty bedrooms and turned my old space into a hobby/reloading room. As one of the last things I grabbed my 2018 Gibson SG from its spot in the guest bedroom this evening and noticed a wet tapping sound.

I turned on the light to find a massive water stain on the ceiling and a big puddle in the carpet. My guitar case wasn't just in the splash zone, rather it was directly downrange.

It was the hard Gibson case that it came with, and water did make its way into the case. I have a friend who was already supposed to be giving it a once over now that I have a place to play it regularly, and, you know, actually learn how to play. Now it's a health inspection and possibly an autopsy.

I know the finish is cracked and the leather strap is wet on the bottom. We'll see what happens from there.

I'm beyond pissed.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Now it's a health inspection and possibly an autopsy.

I'll bet cash money it's nowhere near as bad as you're worried it is. I get it, I would be hopping pissed off, too, but I've seen restorations that you wouldn't believe. I was part of a restoration of a Les Paul that survived a house fire when I worked at the store. You simply wouldn't know it to look it over.

Post some pics, or email me at the email in my profile. I can put you in touch with people who fix this stuff for a living. Real pros, not "I know a guy who does this on the side in his garage."

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Smudge, thanks. I'm going to shoot an email your way.

I'm probably overreacting, and if it's just a bit of crazing in the clear coat I can live with that.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Frown

Any chance this might covered under insurance?

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
It's possible, we'll have to see tomorrow. At worst it's been 3 days because I was up there checking filters Saturday and everything was peachy. Likely it started leaking in the past day or two.

I'm going to try and sleep on it for the moment.

Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Just for future, as I am sure you are having someone come clean it all out.

You need a pan underneath your unit to catch an overflow, and you need a, switch, float, etc in that pan to shut off your A/C when it detects water.

That will prevent this from every happening again.

Not every jurisdiction requires this, but they should.

Also, in future when you change filters etc. drop one or a couple condensate drain tablets in your evaporator pan. They will "help" keep drain from clogging.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your A/C is missing some of the items needed to prevent this. External pan, float shut-off, etc.
Also, having water standing in the internal pan will cause it to rust the bottom out at the air handler.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UDDwaine
posted Hide Post
A cup or so of vinegar poured into the tubes every month or 2 helps prevent the clogging.

Posts: 424 | Registered: February 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UDDwaine:
A cup or so of vinegar poured into the tubes every month or 2 helps prevent the clogging.

Probably not even necessary every month or two. I do it twice a year, and have never had issues.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post