SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Poor gun control arguments and having to argue against them
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor gun control arguments and having to argue against them Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
"It takes too little time to buy a gun."

- one of my friends, July 2022

Uh...Wat? You mean to tell me that if someone does a NICS check and it can be verified quickly then you want them to stall me at the counter? Do you want waiting periods (which have been proven to not work)? What exactly are you getting at? The "I" in NICS is "instant."

This isn't even accounting for the "easier than buying a car" argument (who'd have thought it would take longer to buy something where you have to line up financing than something that's typically under $1000 and isn't exercising a specifically enumerated right), which I didn't touch that day.

This same conversation saw someone talking about the "gun show loophole" and how it got "closed." Yeah, because it was never open to begin with. FFLs are and were always going to have to do a 4473 regardless of their physical location and private citizens are (usually) able to skip the step (in areas where state law doesn't require it), provided they are inside of the ever-changing AFT guidelines as to who does and does not need to use or hold a FFL.

It's such a stupid argument that I didn't have a rebuttal ready. It took everything I had not to facepalm.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3348 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rebuttal: But I'm angry NOW! Big Grin

I doubt you can refute the "more gun control" mindset. They hold their beliefs quite strongly and refuse to hear reasonable, logical, and factual counterarguments.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Well, since California has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that their 10 day waiting period to buy a gun does absolutely nothing to stop crime, how long do people want you to wait?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
It probably took your friend even less time to remain uninformed.

Not that it often helps convert anyone, but sometimes my rebuttal is to ask what they know of the current laws. Do they know correct terminology? If they want to know they can ask. If they (quite correctly) feel stupid for not knowing, they may quiet down.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1989 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That's the bad thing about discussing gun control with liberal friends. . .

When you throat-punch them, you feel bad about it for days.

Posts: 15840 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How long does it take a LEO or the gov to buy a gun? It shouldn't take any longer for a civi.

Like any other product, walk in with cash in hand, walk out w/ the product.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not even argue the point with gun control adbocates. It is wasting your breath. It is a deeply entrenched belief not grounded in reality.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find its a waste of my time arguing with idiots, so I just don't waste my time...

That being said, I have no problem educating someone that wants to learn or wants to find a truthful answer.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8318 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Not that it often helps convert anyone, but sometimes my rebuttal is to ask what they know of the current laws. Do they know correct terminology? If they want to know they can ask. If they (quite correctly) feel stupid for not knowing, they may quiet down.

If someone's argument is based on a false premise, then they've lost the argument before it's begun.

quote:

Many people who buy guns already own other guns or have access to guns, so what exactly does one prevent w/ a cooling off period?

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Usually I don't bother but this one has always gotten under my skin.

The comparison is also continually made to buying a car (usually because of registration and insurance requirements); it's like folks don't know that you can buy a car without having registration or insurance. They just CAN'T DRIVE IT OFF THE LOT.

I don't have the energy to argue about this stuff. I don't have the time to find and untangle the one thread holding their Idiocracy together. The only good that could realistically come from it would really be to sway someone who hasn't made up their mind yet.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3348 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My "favorites" are the "The Second Amendment only applies to flintlock muskets" and the "Internet/gun show 'loopholes.'" Roll Eyes

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I find its a waste of my time arguing with idiots, so I just don't waste my time...

That being said, I have no problem educating someone that wants to learn or wants to find a truthful answer.

The problem is when you think they are open minded and want to learn, spend time educating them only to find out their minds are already made up and don't believe you. I had a lengthy conversation about "assault weapons" the other day with a woman from Iowa. Told her how they are one shot per trigger pull just like grandpas hunting rifle, that they are not fully automatic etc. Told me that's not what she heard on Morning Joe.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
My "favorites" are the "The Second Amendment only applies to flintlock muskets" and the "Internet/gun show 'loopholes.'" Roll Eyes

And the first amendment only refers to things said in person and in Newspapers, not TV, radio or the net.

Same logic.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
You could retort with something utterly unassailable like like: "I don't care how many kids die, I'm not giving up my liberty. In fact, fuck your kids in particular."

Oh sure, you'll be called all kinds of things, but I bet you won't be bothered by them much anymore.

Be on the lookout for graffiti on your stuff and sudden fires though.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
You could retort with something utterly unassailable

Some days I'd love to be bold enough to do exactly that. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13420 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Gun Control arguments from the left are wholly emotional arguments, nothing you can do with facts will change that the news they watch gives them unlimited false talking points.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Don't engage?

Is that not an option?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I try not to, and even pointed out that I wasn't the one who brought it up.

The issue here was that my mouth was faster than my brain.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard them too. Usually at a get together at a friend’s place. All the same shit. I laugh at some point during it. I mean one time, all the dudes were armed, and carrying. None of the women were. We didn’t know it until one of the women started in with all that same nonsense. The guys smiled but wouldn’t say anything because their ladies were present and several of them had cranked this up. It then went to hey Pre, you carry right? Fucker did it on purpose since my girlfriend wasn’t there. Next thing you know, every guy there was safely removing their pistol from their belt, safely removing the magazine, or dumping a cylinder, and finally removing the round in chambers on the semis. Everything was clear, 100%. What happened next was hilarious. It was like show n tell. We all started passing our handguns around to check out. Didn’t last long, wasn’t extended, but it shut the one that was cackling the loudest up. She says something to the effect of “y’all are scaring me, this is crazy” and I said, well if someone tried to roll up here, rob, mug, break into a car, they’d be fucked. So this is the “safest” home in the whole damn city right now. She said nothing and just went inside. It was hilarious. And that “talk” never happened again.

I’ll listen to it but I always say the same thing. Say a legal citizen, no felonies to permit ownership of firearms. But say he or she is not into guns and don’t own one. But one day they see on the news how they’re breaking into homes in the area, or breaking into cars. Or like my friend in the Bay Area reports to me going on in California, damn home invasions where 3, 4, or 5 of them hold you at gunpoint and make you give up passwords, etc, no to mention stealing your shit, they want your passwords. So you’re that man or woman and even though firearms “scare you”, you decide to buy a shotgun, revolver, just something to protect your family, your home. Crime is going up. You want to deny this citizen a way to defend himself? What if it’s a loony neighbor making threats on you? So many different things may push people to arm themselves.

I mean weren’t there like record setting NICS check days during the wu flu pandemic? And those same people were buying ammo for the first time making it expensive and difficult to acquire for the rest of us? Funny how they are preaching that guns are too easy to acquire nonsense, the gun show loop hole or some other idiotic sound byte they’ve logged in memory from their leftist media source they are addicted to, then something comes along where crime is up in places, and all of a sudden their hypocrite self is down at the LGS, newb smell coming from the front door, getting robbed blind on something. My range where I’m a long time member sells firearms, so honestly every time I’m in there I’ve seen it, heard it, and in some cases I’ve asked to change lanes. Range is family owned and know what’s up.

I’m tired of these idiots making it out like it’s as easy to acquire as a flat screen at Best Buy. Waiting which you stupidly thinking will make this huge difference, well it would hurt that citizen. Mr or Mrs Citizen, you need to wait 2 weeks. “But I have someone threatening me and my family”, sorry, you must wait two weeks. Stupid.

Oh and the muskets. LMAO. Ok use their musket shit right back at em. That was the firearm of the day and we are supposed to be able to defend ourselves from criminal activity, but also against a tyrannical government. Do citizens get to buy F18 Super Hornets? Can Elon Musk buy a nuke? Can one of these rich Microsoft or Apple clowns buy an aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine instead of a yacht? If the answer is no, then shut the fuck up.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12567 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I just tell them that it should carry the same “reasonable restrictions” such as voting. You want to make sure only the correct, lawful people vote, right?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37079 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post