SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Halloween
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halloween Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
They had the Halloween bullshit out at Costco this week. Fucking July? You’ve got to be kidding me. In the coming years, are they gonna put out and push this bullshit in May? I’m pushing my cart this week to get my food and there is a big ol’ scarecrow fucking thing hollering at you as you walk by. Has a speaker or whatever built into it and says some horror bullshit that is PG friendly. I had people behind and in front of me. I flipped the 7 ft thing off and said “Fuck You” pretty loudly Big Grin Can we do Labor Day first for fuksakes? Man I detest all holidays and the bullshit hype that goes with them. Bah Humbug.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The one where I used to live in Portland had Christmas stuff out in August, and swimsuits in December.

Posts: 7394 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Can we do Labor Day first for fuksakes?

You decorate your house for Labor Day?

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The candy was being put on the shelves at a couple of stores this past Monday. Costco and Lowe's both had yard decoration stuff out then also.

Posts: 3378 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's back to school here and they will put out Halloween in September.

I an't wait.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34381 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Can we do Labor Day first for fuksakes?

You decorate your house for Labor Day?

I don’t decorate my house for ANY holiday dude. Got better things to do in life. My point was can we get to Labor Day first, before doing this Helloween nonsense? Fuck it’s July dude. Pumpkin/Horror/Girls dress up as whore day, is over 3 months away.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It was a joke.

But since you're not in the joking mood, dude... I'll point out the obvious fact that these businesses are in the business of selling holiday decorations, dude. So once one major decoratable holiday ends (4th of July), they then switch to stocking stuff for the next major commonly decorated holiday (Halloween), dude.

You don't decorate anyway, so you wouldn't be buying any no matter when they were to put it out. But there are apparently other paying customers out there who want to get the jump on buying their Halloween supplies now, and they want their money.

Furthermore, I would suggest that since you have better things to do in life than decorating your house, then you almost certainly also have better things to do in life than having loud public outbursts over the presence of Halloween decorations in a Costco aisle. Wink

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

I an't wait.

WTF? 13 months early?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44441 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They had the Halloween bullshit out at Costco this week. Fucking July? You’ve got to be kidding me. In the coming years, are they gonna put out and push this bullshit in May? I’m pushing my cart this week to get my food and there is a big ol’ scarecrow fucking thing hollering at you as you walk by. Has a speaker or whatever built into it and says some horror bullshit that is PG friendly. I had people behind and in front of me. I flipped the 7 ft thing off and said “Fuck You” pretty loudly Big Grin Can we do Labor Day first for fuksakes? Man I detest all holidays and the bullshit hype that goes with them. Bah Humbug.

You should have punched it in the face like Clark Griswold did in the vacation movie.
I do agree with you but I don't let it bother me.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I was clowning around just the same. So no need to Heath Ledger why so serious?

I don’t give a flying fuck if they bring out the fake holidays trinkets 6 months before. I draws the line at some horror deal barking at me, loudly. Big Grin Next week I’ll see if the AC outlet for it is obvious and unplug it Razz

The annoying thing is millions flooding in here, moving here. So shit like this, is just pouring gas on the fire. “Hey shoppers, it’s July, so get a 3+ month head start on your fake holiday supplies and check out our scarecrow thing in the back of the store on the way to the food. It hollers at you!”

Holidays = hype. Hype = traffic, lines, etc. There is a reason why some of us loathe this shit. It’s all fake.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bah Humbug.

Nope. That doesn't start until September. Big Grin

Posts: 20546 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

I an't wait.
Yep, back to school in early/mid-August. Screw that.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Halloween was once an event for kids. Adults took it over and ruined it. Christmas is about the same. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16373 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Halloween was once an event for kids. Adults took it over and ruined it. Christmas is about the same. Roll Eyes

You are very wise!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I doubt if a kid wants to be reminded that school is coming up. One should be able to buy a few supplies 2 days before school starts.

Halloween has grown a good bit in recent decades, the commercial aspect. I do get a mild kick about how it’s sorta a green light for ladies to dress provocative. I’m not sure that was ever part of the plan for the Halloween.

It does seem a little early, but like a lot of things, the build/anticipation/spending can be more than the event itself.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I work for the largest Halloween pop-up. We begin setup in July, open in August and close in November. The Mall back-to-school demand is incredible, but truthfully one of the reasons we open so early is that it takes Aug/Sept to fully train seasonal employees to be able to handle the business that the final 3 weeks of October provide…about 85% of our total season sales.

It’s crazy.

Our outdoor ‘decor’ is one of our largest category, and we easily sell more adult customs than we do kids.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12398 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm down with Halloween. We get into it here at Casa de vthoky.

We don't do a bunch of decorating, aside from some purple and orange lights outside. But we turn it into a "mild" party for the adults, as well as for the kiddos. We bring the fire pit around from the back and enjoy it out front, and hand out candy to the kiddos from there. Heck, it keeps them from having to navigate stairs, which is a good thing given some of those costumes.

Meanwhile, a batch of friends come over and the happenings indoors are something of a potluck -- everybody brings a dish, everyone shares, and we all get plenty to eat while the neighborhood kiddos load up on candy and goodies. We might spend about 50 bucks total on the give-out stuff. We hand out a lot of the glow-stick bracelets, and kids are always happy with those. It helps make them a little more visible as they cruise the neighborhood, and that's nothing but a good thing.

Back to Prefontaine's point, though, frickin' July is WAY too early for the stores to be going nuts over Halloween. I understand why they do it, but I don't necessarily like it. I'm with Prefontaine here at the Casa -- no Halloween before Labor Day, no Thanksgiving before Halloween, and no Christmas before Thanksgiving. There's no need to spend piles and piles of money on them either -- it's about time with important people (friends, family, neighbors, etc) more than it is about spending, decorating, gifting, and all that.

Now, if the cuties want to show a little leg among the adults on Halloween (or the other holidays, too, frankly), I'm okay with it. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13851 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to put it out early so broke people can put it on 90 payment plan (Affirm)

Posts: 1461 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On planet Bendable,
No holidays between 9/15 and 3/25.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55165 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Halloween in July? That's nothing, we've already got Christmas in the aisles. A few years ago I joked about this happening, and now, here we are.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3629 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post