SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Abundance of Caution
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abundance of Caution Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Stop saying this please.... what you really mean is stupid ridiculous over reaction that will have no real effect but to annoy everyone and contribute nothing to solving the problem.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just because some people overuse or abuse the term doesn't mean it's necessarily a meaningless term. Were we to adopt that measure, we'd have to eliminate "begs the question" and a plethora of other common phrases from our lexicon.

E.g.: I injured my back doing strength training a few weeks back. Last week I resumed weight training. Out of an abundance of caution, I dialed everything way back.

It was not a "stupid ridiculous [sic] over reaction," but, a measured consideration.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is annoying to some because it is so often used in a Government proclamation.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I think it is annoying to some because it is so often used in a Government proclamation.

It is annoying to me and you're probably right about the reason.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes... the overuse by government weasels and corporate cretins

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I agree with the OP. I'm tired of hearing it. It is used/overused to make the listener believe that they actually give two shits about you, when the truth is they only give two shits about how something will make them look.

And if we're starting a list, can I add the word "corrupt"? Please just stop saying it and find another adjective. Everything and everybody nowadays is described as corrupt and it is olde. Show some imagination and describe the behavior or quality, or maybe dust off that old thesaurus in the bookshelf.

Corrupt has joined racist as a meaningless word.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to refer you to White House Counsel and the State Department.

This conversation poses a threat to civilian air traffic. Either that, or it's a balloon for a used car lot. We just don't know (launches AIM-9)

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
An abundance of caution sounds better than a shortage of backbone....

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

As has "horrific"

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Stop saying this please.... what you really mean is stupid ridiculous over reaction that will have no real effect but to annoy everyone and contribute nothing to solving the problem.

I was just considering authoring this very thread. They're woefully short on original ideas.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Just because some people overuse or abuse the term doesn't mean it's necessarily a meaningless term. Were we to adopt that measure, we'd have to eliminate "begs the question" and a plethora of other common phrases from our lexicon.

E.g.: I injured my back doing strength training a few weeks back. Last week I resumed weight training. Out of an abundance of caution, I dialed everything way back.

It was not a "stupid ridiculous [sic] over reaction," but, a measured consideration.

To your point, yes, its more the way its used than the actual phrase

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
quote:

As has "horrific"

May I add "chilling effect" to the list?

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
quote:

As has "horrific"

May I add "chilling effect" to the list?

Turns out the word woke is racist

https://www.foxnews.com/media/...-tweet-quit-reaching

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anyone who thinks they are going to stop people from using the term "woke" is delusional. Over the past few years, this term has slowly entered the American lexicon, until last year, it became so prevalent, even the sociopolitically indifferent people among us now know the term, and it is far, far too late to try and remove it from common language.

They are trying to say the term is racist because they realize that "woke" now has only negative connotations, and declaring a thing to be racist is the left's way of trying to manipulate subjects and people to turn in a direction they desire. In this instance, it's not going to work. It's kinda funny, because the leftists are the ones which introduced this term (in its present usage and definition) to the language and now it has backfired on them.

I know of no one who uses the term "woke" to refer to only black people. I certainly don't envision race when I hear the term or use it myself. Everyone- including the shysters who are trying to convince us of this- knows the term refers to an ideology which cuts across racial lines.

All of this makes me smile. Smile The truth has a habit of finding its way through the cracks of even the strongest barriers the dishonest put in its path; this is an example of that.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I think it’s funny that everything that is negative toward the left is racist. They can’t just make an argument about why their side is right (because there is no good argument) so they just say it’s racist.

Need an ID to vote? Nope that’s racist
The term woke? Also racist
Being pro police/military? Racist

It’s really wild that the only people that seem to give two shits about somebody’s race is them. I don’t give a shit if you’re white, black, brown, or purple if you’re a hoodlum then you’re a hoodlum….

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yep. Order a meal at a restaurant and don't care for it? Send it back, because that plate of food is racist.

Those pants you just bought? They don't fit you well. Clearly, they are racist.

It seems that the only thing these days which is not racist, is being a racist.

posted Hide Post
I’m starting to feel like Richard Carlson in “I Led 3 Lives!”

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I despise this term. Virtually everything has a cost, and taking the "over abundance of caution" approach to regulation and political decisions usually means "we did not bother to actually weigh the pros and cons of things" but went with the, at that moment, feel-good, get us points/votes, decision.

Do the analysis, be transparent, and DECIDE/DO what makes the most sense with the information you HAVE..and which may not be the feel-good, knee-jerk decision.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time I have ever used the phrase "abundance of caution" is when I have to underscore the validity of applying common sense, good judgment. and experience in writing incident reports on how I handled inflight emergencies as an airline Captain. In this situation, it's just one of those quasi-legal phrases that we use to remind the FAA and the airline's management of one's fundamentally conservative and careful mindset - so that they will be a little less likely to criticize a Captain's discretionary actions that go beyond SOP and checklists - even when exercising emergency authority. Often airline checklists are a lot like sausage - they represent an assortment of interests (the aircraft manufacturer not wanting to acknowledge design defects or inadequacies, the airline's desire to limit their liability, and the FAA's approving checklists that they know don't tell the whole story, etc) and don't handle every situation one can encounter in flight. Because of this, occasionally airline Captains must use their best judgment to ensure the safest outcome, and use the somewhat Victorian phrase "abundance of caution" in their incident reports, mainly to cover their backsides. Sorry for the long diatribe, but I just had to mention this one arena in which the phrase is useful.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

I didn't realize you worked at the same company as me....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post