SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Honda engine has no add or full marks on dipstick!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda engine has no add or full marks on dipstick! Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
How hard would it be to include a full mark? Geez Honda. Pressure washer engine, 13 HP.

I have seen them on other Honda engines.

There are hash marks all the way up and down the dipstick, both sides, but no other marks.

Book says fill to "about 3/4 of the way up on the stick".

Drain and fill says 1.1 Qt. I'm going to do that and file a little notch on the dipstick where the oil comes up to for future quick reference.

I can deal with it but it is just... dumb.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhat related: My BMW motorcycle requires the bike to be "upright" in order to measure the oil level. Since I dont have a center stand, one person has to hold up the bike while I check the oil. On the BMW I sold there was a sight glass that you use to see the oil level. You have to do the hold upright thing to get a reading on the glass. I bought a telescoping inspection mirror to see the glass while I held up the bike. At least I could do that by myself!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My 3-series BMW convertible doesn’t even have a dipstick. Oil level is electronically measured ☹️

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
My 3-series BMW convertible doesn’t even have a dipstick. Oil level is electronically measured ☹️

Ugh. I hate that this is the trend. It’s the same with transmissions.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

I forgot to add it's a 2011 so my guess is BMW has been going that route ever since.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Somewhat related: My BMW motorcycle requires the bike to be "upright" in order to measure the oil level. Since I dont have a center stand, one person has to hold up the bike while I check the oil.
My Indian Scout recommends running engine on idle for 30 seconds, turning off, holding upright, and pulling the dipstick. Seat isn't very high so seemed achievable as a 1-man operation. MF'ers located dipstick between the 2 exhaust pipes, and they get toasty in 30 seconds of idling. Guess who got a burn on his first oil check?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

I forgot to add it's a 2011 so my guess is BMW has been going that route ever since.

I have a 2006 325i configured the same way, so it’s been going at least since then.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Somewhat related: My BMW motorcycle requires the bike to be "upright" in order to measure the oil level. Since I dont have a center stand, one person has to hold up the bike while I check the oil. On the BMW I sold there was a sight glass that you use to see the oil level. You have to do the hold upright thing to get a reading on the glass. I bought a telescoping inspection mirror to see the glass while I held up the bike. At least I could do that by myself!

There are a couple of workarounds you can try. You can put a block of wood thick enough to get the bike upright or close to it under the side stand. Or you can hold the bike upright your self for a minute after running and then set the bike on the side stand and pull the dipstick, there should still be enough film left to show you the level.

These are the things i used to do on the BMW R1200C I had many years ago.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion! Thanks. My neighbor usually helps out.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does that require a subscription? Cool

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I use a Pit Bull stand to get my bike upright. Holding it by hand is risking a tip over.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yea but on rear stand its not level front to back. on some bikes that makes a real difference (like my race suzuki).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that there were cars that didn't have dipsticks. Even though I think its dumb, I can see why transmissions wouldn't have them because of the much longer fluid change intervals.
What happens if the oil level sensor goes bad or its not reading accurately? I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting locks on the oil fill cap so only a dealership can access it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the 80's I had a Suzuki gs 750 e that had the window. I think I had a center stand, so no biggie. My Heritage recommends that the bike be upright to check the oil, and warm too. I've had so many Softails that I can peek at the level in the tank and know the level without all the contortions.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
My Porsche is like this, no dip stick. What is even more stupid is that if you change the filter cartridge, which I always do, it will not show the oil level until the car is driven 25 miles, (not sure of exact miles but is substantial). So you have to premeasure out the exact oil amount you need and hope to God its okay. Not a huge problem if I change the oil but if someone else does it, I worry.

quote:

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

What happens if the oil level sensor goes bad or its not reading accurately?

Less of the concern than the fact that 99% of people never check their oil level at all, regardless of method.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
My Porsche is like this, no dip stick. What is even more stupid is that if you change the filter cartridge, which I always do, it will not show the oil level until the car is driven 25 miles, (not sure of exact miles but is substantial). ☹️

Can you fill the oil filter before putting it back on so it doesn't ran dry on start up?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What model Honda engine do you have? Maybe they got the wrong dipstick.

https://www.hondapartsnation.c...fb73/crankcase-cover

If it is like this engine, you will notice that the dipstick is at approximately a 45 degree angle so the indicator would easily vary up and down the stick with little change in level.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Maybe they got the wrong dipstick.

The manual verifies there is no full mark and simply states...
"Fill to approximately 3/4 of the way up on the dipstick"

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
If Honda engine quality is good, oil burn may not be of consequence.

If you measure the drain quantity after your season of use, and it is not much different than the fill quantity, you could just do a seasonal oil change with one liter of oil and never measure it again.

My Yamaha generator, some 15 years old, has no dipstick. You just open the fill plug and look for the oil to be in the fill plug hole at the bottom.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post