SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Any ideas for cooking indoors with the power off and the weather bad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Any ideas for cooking indoors with the power off and the weather bad? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
In 17 years here I have never seen electricity go off for more than ~20 minutes, and that was because a nearby transformer blew. Even during the 2024 Hurricane Helene with considerable wind and torrential rain for almost four days I never lost power or even internet. But this thread and forum are for extraordinary circumstances. I do keep a modest pantry with canned goods that I can eat cold if necessary. That is of no help with dry soups, hot cereals or beverages (gotta have my coffee).

The following things are not going to happen: have a generator (no place to keep it or the fuel in an apartment), rent or buy a house, or use gas appliances (all-electric utilities, and gas needs electricity to light anyway). I can cook outside with a little camp stove or hibachi grill, but not in the winter when it's snowing or getting into the teens, sometimes single digits, overnight.

I don't see a solution that doesn't involve burning some kind of fuel and suffocating, getting smoked out or burning my apartment down, but maybe I haven't thought of something.
 
Posts: 32117 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Electric hot plate driven by a power station (EcoFlow or similar) that you normally keep charged up? Without a generator (or solar, which seems equally unlikely in your scenario) to recharge it, yeah it won't last forever. But at least it would get you through for a while, especially if you're careful about restricting it to cooking only.
 
Posts: 8108 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sterno Stove - Yep, it's slow but...

- You can use it indoors. (Caterers use it all the time)
- Stove and a couple dozen cans of fuel fit in one of those small Sterlite underbed containers.
- It'll boil water, fry an egg, or heat up a can of Dinty Moore
- You're not handling liquid fuel indoors
- Easy, clean setup/take down

link

It's my go to for the first day or 2 of a power outage.


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1670 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sterno Stove ... You can use it indoors. (Caterers use it all the time)


Why didn't I think of that. Red Face Big Grin I have a little aluminum folding table I can set it on.
 
Posts: 32117 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Countertop butane stoves are quite handy. Amazon has a number of them for pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/TECHEF-...TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23126 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We had a newborn in 1999 and lost power for about five days because of an ice storm. We had no way to heat up formula for her. Stores were cleaned out of everything, batteries, butane, stoves etc.

I bought a single burner thingy that screws onto the top of a butane bottle shortly after and have kept it since along with several butane bottles. I did use it once a few years ago when we lost power for a bit


Similar to this one


https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...4a-c76b807732dc&th=1


 
Posts: 7036 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

That is what I would suggest also, the propane version.

I know the OP worries about flame and suffocation, but can always use one of the propane burners near a cracked window if it starts getting too many fumes.

I have used one of those single burners off and on for over 20 years, just recently this year while camping in KS. Those little tanks last quite awhile, can be bought in bulk, and stored in a closet when not in use.

Comes in handy when the power is out, it's snowing outside, and you want some hot coffee Wink.


Mike


You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
 
Posts: 5123 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind with those top of the propane bottle burners is that they are very tippy...even with the stand. I bought one years ago to use whilst camping and found that they were not very good for anything large or heavy.

The butane burners on the other hand have a very low profile and can handle pretty much any pot. I've put a large cast iron dutch oven full of soups/stews on mine with no problems whatsoever.

Either will work, I suppose, but if you want something not unlike your regular stovetop burner, go with the butane style that I linked.

The butane ones are safer than propane as well if you're worried about such things.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23126 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Countertop butane stoves are quite handy. Amazon has a number of them for pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/TECHEF-...TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1


Gustofer - Thank you Sir - My son and I both just ordered this unit along with 12 butane bottles each. Total with free shipping was just over $100.00 (buying this unit and a 12 bottle pack created a 10% discount) which is a great price knowing we can cook inside when needed.

After going six days this past winter with no electricity with single digit temperatures at night and only having propane cooking items for outside use, this unit is gonna work perfect for our needs.
 
Posts: 3660 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It seems counter-intuitive, but there are little propane heaters safe to use indoors, inside of a tent, for example. Advertised as having tip-over and low O2 shutoffs.
Mr. Heater That could also be set on the aluminum table. I do have lots of warm clothing that can be layered.
 
Posts: 32117 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Yes, those work very well. The wife and I used one for years while in our 5th wheel.

However, cooking on them is not advised (I'm sure you know this, just keeping in the spirit of the thread). A friend tried to cook a pot of beans by balancing it on the metal grate and top of the heater. It ended up melting the plastic housing, and made a smelly, melty mess. The beans were warm though Wink. BTW, it was with his heater, not mine.


Mike


You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
 
Posts: 5123 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have better sense than that. Big Grin This would be for keeping a room somewhat warm.
 
Posts: 32117 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of butane stoves similar to the one linked above. They are surprisingly effective. However, for indoor use, I would crack at least 2 windows. We also have a CO2 alarm, with a couple of spare batteries, in our emergency kit as a safety precaution.


__________________________

 
Posts: 13041 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I would get a CO alarm. CO will get you before CO₂ does.
 
Posts: 14954 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Single burner butane stove.

During my few short stints in the barracks I used one a lot. Cans of fuel are cheap and one will last a good while unless you’re trying to slow cook chili or something.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8056 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you already made a purchase. I did similar…local sporting good shop had them on sale for $17, so I picked up two…one I plan to give to a family member. Five 8 oz. fuel canisters is about $12 at the local store…that should be good for about 10 hrs of cooking. And gas cooks fast…

One thing to keep in mind is that butane can be finicky when it’s cold…just FYI…you may want to add an indoor-safe propane heater like Mr. Heater…

If you want to cover the bases get a duel fuel model that runs on both butane and propane. Would work well with a propane heater.

I was also going to recommend an CO sensor…they have small battery powered units…

$.02 worth…YMMV.


A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.
 
Posts: 5035 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Based on your limiting parameters; MREs is my recommendation and my second a battery powered stove (LOLOL) where the battery is recharged using a solar panel but - THAT would required A LOT of stored energy

Of course there's always a hiking stove with replaceable fuel canisters






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



 
Posts: 15047 | Location: It was CA., Now it's "FREEEEEEDOM!!" (TN) | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Any ideas for cooking indoors with the power off and the weather bad?

© SIGforum 2026