SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 Trigger stuck forward (FCU stuck in grip module)!!??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Trigger stuck forward (FCU stuck in grip module)!!?? Login/Join 
posted
Please help!! I have the P320 M18 (w/ the manual safety). I had removed the stock FCU to replace the grip module with an X Series grip and, somehow, once I replaced the FCU the trigger is stuck in the forward position. Now, I can’t get the slide back on it, NOR can I pull the trigger far enough to remove it from the grip module. Actually the trigger won’t budge! I have no idea what I could’ve done to cause this and, as far as I remember, I didn’t notice or feel anything odd while placing the FCU into the grip module.

Can someone PLEASE HELP me resolve this issue. I should mention that this is a brand new gun, and it hasn’t even been fired yet. Right now, I’ve got a relatively expensive paperweight (well two actually, counting the slide assembly).

Thank you SO much!! MM

Former SOCOM & LEO: Sig Sauer handguns; P365, P320c RXP (w/AXG Grip Module), P320 M18, P229 Legion 9mm (& .40/357 conversion parts).

Posts: 1 | Location: Southeast US | Registered: March 20, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
Since no one else has stepped up with advice how about this. Go on YouTube and look for a video on replacing the trigger on the M18. They are there because I have watched them. Good luck

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
This is a thread back from 2019 that may help you along with a video.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6910085464

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
This is a thread back from 2019 that may help you along with a video.

Unless I totally misinterpreted something, the problem is not that the FCU is stuck on the slide as discussed in that older thread. According to what I’m reading, the FCU is stuck in the grip module without the slide being attached, and the trigger won’t move. Correct?
I assume that operating the safety doesn’t help—?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

SigFreund, I agree with you that the video doesn't duplicate what the original post describes.

I've tried to duplicate this problem, all I can think of is the Trigger, Trigger Bar, or Manual Safety is hung up against the inside of the Grip Module.

Without having the pistol in my hand, the safest suggestion I have is to cut the Grip Module to free the FCU since a new grip will cost much less than having to replace the FCU.

Pictures would be helpful, but they would need to show what is happening on the inside and I doubt MacGuyVR has access to a fiber-optic or borescope mini-camera able to get into the Grip Module.

If MacGuyVR and I lived closer, I would certainly take a look and help the guy out.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund and Sleepla8er

I will step out of the way . I just noticed you two are some of the original posters on the link provided from 2019 . You two have way more experience with the P320 than me . I will be watching for updates to see the fix on this problem.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If there’s one thing I’ve learned here on the forum, it’s that no one has a monopoly on good ideas. Smile

And I admit that one of my first thoughts was to wonder how difficult it would be to cut the FCU out of the grip module. If the OP has to resort to doing that, I suspect that it’s not something SIG will tout as an advantage of the P320 modularity system. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

808, please don't step away ~ SigFreund is correct about all of us having good ideas!

I just haven't been able to duplicate this with my own manual safety P320 in a standard Sig Full, Compact, Carry, or Sub-Compact Grip Module or duplicate this using a Wilson Combat Carry and Compact Grip Module. I don't have a X-Series Grip Module to look for something that can get hung-up as MacGuyVR has described.

I'm kinda wondering if maybe the Trigger where it holds the Trigger Bar slipped out of the FCU and that is what is hung-up?

When I first started with my P320, there were a few times when the Trigger/Trigger Bar/FCU didn't seat correctly and I had to back it out and try again.

SigFreund, Sig might not tout the ease of cutting the FCU out of their Grip Modules but I bet Wilson Combat will be happy to point that out as an advantage of Sig's Grip Module! Big Grin

Before cutting, I wonder if there is a jig that can be used to spread the Grip Module just wide enough to get the FCU free??

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MacGuyVR,

I created an account specifically to reply to this, and to tell you and others how I solved the issue first, then explain myself. If I'm reviving an old thread or breaching etiquette my bad!

With the FCU fully seated, manual safety OFF, takedown lever correctly placed and turned all the way clockwise, and magazine out,
I slid the slide on just a little, then slammed it to the rear very hard with considerable speed and force, it felt jammed for a second then after a wiggle it smoothly went all the way back to the locked-open position (as it's supposed to), and the trigger was back to normal operation. I turned The takedown lever and it clicked back into position perfectly. I depressed the slide stop and the slide slid back perfectly also. I placed and removed an empty mag and did some dry fire drills. The firearm worked and felt better than ever. With a sigh of shocked relief, I came back here to post this.

I have a new (~200rds fired) M17 with manual safety, but you described the exact problem on your M18. I had this happen after its first cleaning and I spent most my day searching for an answer. Watching all of SIG GUYS stuff and learning how to completely dis and re-assemble the FCU.

At first I thought the manual safety was stuck, and without pressing the trigger I (still) don't know how to take the FCU out. I used tweezers to see if removing the manual safety would allow me to remove the FCU, I was unsuccessful after moving the removal lever back and forth a couple times, due to there not being enough room inside the casing.

I played with every movable part in the FCU, checked to see if my spring was bent, made sure to try all the fixes of a forgotten takedown lever, mag in, mag out, poked the sear, slide on, slide off, tried moving the slide in and out slowly while manipulating the trigger and manual safety, and this went on for hours, only thing I didn't mess with was seeing if dummy rounds made a difference. (I have none and was nowhere near any of my rounds obvi)

Thought about cutting it open and/or cutting the spring for the trigger mechanism so I could remove the trigger to remove the FCU.
I lifted and tried to remove the FCU without pressing the trigger every possible way with force and technique all to no avail, and a surprising amount of silence from the internet. (save for OP's post)
I had taken this gun apart up removing the FCU from the frame dozens of times, so I knew something was amiss.

Having convinced myself there was nothing left to do but to send it to SIG to fix, I decided to just act like nothing was wrong and give it the good ol' neanderthal try. I lined up the slide and with a very small amount of anger but plenty of kinetic energy, slammed it into place. I have since taken it apart several times and everything gels together perfectly once more.

Disclaimer(s):
I do not know what was wrong with it.
I do not 100% sure know there really WAS anything wrong with it.
I do not think what I did was the best answer to the problem.
I do not recommend you do this to your firearm unless you are willing to risk damage to it.
I did not contact customer service or reach out to SIG directly.

Anyway, I hope this helps others on the internet, this seems a weirdly specific issue, hopefully someone out there in the future figures out exactly what in the hell it was.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 08, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Siguiniboi, welcome to SigForum!!!!

When I read this in your post, "...I created an account specifically to reply to this, and to tell you and others how I solved the issue first..."

It made me wonder if you are MacGuyVR, the original poster of this thread? MacGuyVB only had this one post and I can't remember when a new member commented on a thread from 2 years earlier.

Either way, welcome and thanks for posting how you resolved this situation!