SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P365 mags hard to load (any updates?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 mags hard to load (any updates?) Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up a P365 tacpac and cannot load the 12th round in any of the three 12 rd mags even with my Uplula loader. Looks like there was a lot of discussion on this issue in the past but no real solutions. Bottom line seemed to be to load them up with 11 rds and let them sit for a while until the springs break in (kind of like Glock mags). Anyone have an update on this problem?

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've always been able to load the 12th with my Uplula and just recently I can occasionally load the 12th with my thumb, but it requires a ton of force and is kind of hard on the thumb.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ANY magazine that is that difficult to load the last round should not used for tactical reloads as one will be attempting to further compress the 12th top round under the closed slide pawl. Which translates to the magazine will not reliably be seated for your 911 needs. None of my 12 round magazines (extended and low profile base) have that disability.

As a Rule I carry spare magazines down-loaded by at least one round of their maximum rating to prevent just such a outcome.

Posts: 13 | Registered: January 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got a response from Sig on this issue and they stuck to the company line that my mags just need to be broken in (load, store, shoot, load again, store again). I just have a problem with this philosophy (and Glocks). If a magazine is rated for 12 rds (or whatever), you should be able to load to max and shoot reliably from day one out of the box. For now, I've got them all loaded to 11 and letting them sit for a while. This might be a deal breaker if that doesn't work. I didn't have this problem with my Shield Plus 13 rd mags and I'm not married to Sig.

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigwerkes2:
ANY magazine that is that difficult to load the last round should not used for tactical reloads as one will be attempting to further compress the 12th top round under the closed slide pawl. Which translates to the magazine will not reliably be seated for your 911 needs. None of my 12 round magazines (extended and low profile base) have that disability.

As a Rule I carry spare magazines down-loaded by at least one round of their maximum rating to prevent just such a outcome.

This is a valid point, but only if you have trouble seating a fully loaded magazine reliably. If you don't, you're GTG. Mine will seat reliably.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by les45:
I just picked up a P365 tacpac and cannot load the 12th round in any of the three 12 rd mags even with my Uplula loader. Looks like there was a lot of discussion on this issue in the past but no real solutions. Bottom line seemed to be to load them up with 11 rds and let them sit for a while until the springs break in (kind of like Glock mags). Anyone have an update on this problem?

Just get a Maglula. They work great for any hicap magazines.

We bring a few to Sig events where we have to load dozens of magazines quickly. It saves our thumbs. Worth the money.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

Just get a Maglula. They work great for any hicap magazines.

We bring a few to Sig events where we have to load dozens of magazines quickly. It saves our thumbs. Worth the money.

I use an Uplula (same thing) and it goes nowhere. I can get about 1/8" of movement before it bottoms out but not enough for the final round.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by les45:
I use an Uplula (same thing) and it goes nowhere. I can get about 1/8" of movement before it bottoms out but not enough for the final round.

I saw something like that with my Uplula when my P365 12 magazines were new. I solved it by pushing the lula all the way onto the magazine, then pushing that arm (or whatever you call it) back farther on the 11th round, then pushing firmly on the Uplula. That worked until she springs started softening up a little.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am not an industry insider to know for certain, but I suspect that making magazines so it’s difficult to load the last rated round became more important for manufacturers with the advent of capacity restrictions in 1994. If it’s difficult to load the last (rated) round, there’s little chance that anyone will be able to stuff another cartridge into a particular offering and get the manufacturer sued or worse by some government agency. Unless the Supreme Court overturns all magazine capacity restrictions (Yeah, right Roll Eyes ), that situation is unlikely to ever change.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
365 mags are why I bought my maglula or uplula or whichever is for the pistol mags.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I also replaced the stock springs with MagGuts springs. You get 2 extra rounds of capacity and they’re easier to load.

https://magguts.com/

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
With new stiff magazines of any type, I always take a wooden ruler (or similarly sized piece of wood dowel), and RAM the follower all the way to the bottom hard a dozen times or so. Works and sets the spring, and mates/smooths the sides of the follower/mag interior walls. Has always made loading easier after doing this without any detrimental effects that I have been able to notice. Use a piece of wood or plastic ended rod to do this as you don't want to mar/dent plastic followers with a metal rod.

That being said, I also swapped out my p365 mag springs with Magguts spring for the extra capacity, however I did do the RAM treatment on the original springs/follower and it did make it easier to load after.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: ended up selling the P365 and buying a new M&P Shield Plus, primarily for the higher capacity 13 rd mag. Turns out the 13 rd S&W mag is worse than the Sig and would only take 11 rounds. After letting it sit with 11 overnight I could get 12 by the next day but that is it for a while. S&W is singing the same tune that their mags have to be broken in before they will take full capacity. That's a bunch of crap when the whole selling point of a gun is the higher capacity (but then Glock has been doing it for years).

posted Hide Post
This issue is fairly common on high capacity mags. Especially with smaller guns. I had the last round problem with my Gen4 G19's and G34. Loaded them up and left them. Solved the problem.

Here's a full explanation of the issues from Osage County Guns. notice it says load to capacity and leave for several WEEKS.
https://osagecountyguns.com/si...er-mag-365-9-12.html

Just upgraded my P320 9mm Compact with a Wilson Carry Module. Five new 17rd mags. Could barely get the last round in three of them. Persevered and all five mags load fine after sitting for a couple of weeks. It is what it is.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My Uplula doesn't load the last round in any of my mags. 229, 226, 365.
I just load the last one by hand.

The 365 last round was pretty stiff at first so I just loaded 11 rounds for a bit.
A couple range trips later and I can get the last round in without using an arbor press.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A trick you might try is to load the mag as far as you can and then slap the flat of the mag against the palm of your hand a couple times. That allows the rounds to readjust their position in the mag and often you can get the last round in.

Posts: 115 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Maglula for all magazine loading. They work really fast and saves you a lot of effort. Plus it wear and tear on your hand. Here’s a link
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...136952670?pid=952670

Posts: 1543 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post