SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Pistol Red Dot Tech Tip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol Red Dot Tech Tip Login/Join 
posted
I realize that there is a love/hate relationship with installing an electronic item like a red dot on a pistol.
With regard to battery life, I have found the big issue is with the battery itself rather than the device.
We have no idea how long most batteries sit on the shelf. A typical 3 volt red dot battery will measure as high as 3.35 volts, and one that has been sitting a while can measure closer to 3.0 volts.
Clearly, longer life can be expected with a 3.3 ish volt battery than a 3.0 ish battery.
Before I swap mine out, I check it with a $10 DVOM and write the voltage and date on the battery with a sharpie. Personally, if it doesn’t check at a minimum 3.15 volts, I won’t use it.
This habit of checking and documenting takes no time, costs no money (assuming you own a DVOM) and I recommend incorporating it into your predetermined maintenance schedule.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You happen to have a link to the $10 DOVM?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/...ultimeter-63759.html
I have had it for years and works fine for simple stuff.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
For a $10 DMM, look at the Aneng M108 or M118.

I paid $10 for my Amprobe PM60 but they are discontinued

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Voltage is not sufficient to evaluate a battery. Several inexpensive DVOM offer a battery load test. Suggest you choose these DVOM for true eval.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post