SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Advice on recoil pad installation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on recoil pad installation Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
I want to put a new recoil pad on my Browning A5 light 12. Bought a Pachymyer pad for it, but can't find a gunsmith locally to fit it. Only "gunsmiths" I can find basically just put together AR-15s and change sights. Any advice on trying to do this myself? Might involve purchase of a spindle sander, but thought I'd ask the forum before doing so. Thanks!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch Midway's gunsmithing videos or some Youtube videos to see if you think the job is within your skill zone. I've done a few and they've turned out good, but I sweated them.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice on Midway videos. What did you use to sand them to proper size/shape?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do some low level gunsmithing and have installed recoil pads. I don't enjoy doing it and only do it under duress( a lot of duress). I never install on a nice or important gun. JMO..... Best wishes !! mike

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I would search for gunstock repair online. I used a fellow many years ago to do a shotgun stock repair. He did wonderful recoil pad installations. With the Browning A5, why risk the stock to an amateur? You can send the stock alone, and the stock repair shop will fit the new pad without damage to the original finish.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Just realized I never updated this thread. Got a recommendation for Simmons Gun repair, simmonsguns.com, in Olathe, Kansas. Contacted them online and then by phone, felt comfortable they could competently do the work, and sent off my pad, measurements to cut and the buttstock. Received it back in about 10 days, at a reasonable price and the work was excellent. Happy to recommend them!

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Winchester MDL. 12 has been to Simmons a couple times. A firing pin replacement and a second barrel fitting with a matching serial number. GREAT work both trips!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post