SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    New slide question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New slide question Login/Join 
posted
I have a P226 Elite in 40 S&W and would like to convert it to 9mm. Midwestgunworks has a Legion slide. Can I couple this with a Sig 9mm barrel and magazine? Thanks everyone.

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
First off WELCOME!!!

IMO a cheaper/cleaner way would be to just buy a Bar-Sto conversion Bbl. Have it fitted by the SigArmorer if needed, buy a 9mm recoil spring and a hand full of 9mm mags and get going.

While your next question will be the difference in sight number for the 9mm (8Fx8R) and 40S&W (6Fx8R), the difference at short distance is hardly noticeable.

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, so this is more of a question ... Won't the OP need to change the slide because the rim diameter of the 9mm is smaller than the 40?? Will the 40 S&W extractor reliably function on a 9mm case??

quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

IMO a cheaper/cleaner way would be to just buy a Bar-Sto conversion Bbl. Have it fitted by the SigArmorer if needed, buy a 9mm recoil spring and a hand full of 9mm mags and get going.

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
I'm no expert, so this is more of a question ... Won't the OP need to change the slide because the rim diameter of the 9mm is smaller than the 40?? Will the 40 S&W extractor reliably function on a 9mm case??

Its never been an issue for me or anyone else that I know of.

I have a P226 9mm conversion Bbl and several P229 9mm conversion Bbls and all perform well and have never seen any recommendations to change the extractor's when using a conversion Bbl. I also use a 9mm factory Bbl in my Beretta 96G with no issues. And again the Beretta set up is common practice as well.

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that the 226 and 239 .40's will take a drop in 9mm barrel.
Just use 9mm mags and recoil spring as well.

For a perfect fit a conversion barrel or complete slide would be the best route.

For my 229, going from 9mm to .40 I thought it easier to just get a complete slide assy.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's good info to know!

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone! I looked for a complete slide but to no avail. Years ago, I went with Sig because you could buy every single part, minus frame, from them. It is hard getting old. I have 1911s specifically for this purpose. I have a S&W 40 M&P 2.0 tactical, also in 40 that I am fitting a 9mm barrel in now. I have no idea what swayed me to 40 cal back then. I shot an SS 220 for a while until ammo prices went crazy.

If anyone knows a guy to get a 226 complete slide assembly, please let me know, thanks.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Are you familiar with Osage County Guns?

They often have new slides as well as other parts.

Several months ago they were selling the std and Legion P226 slides. Also watch GunBroker or even put a wtb here in the classifieds.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, I pulled the trigger on a Legion slide. I am pretty sure a 9mm barrel will drop right in. I will now look for a 15lb spring.

Thanks again.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it all works out. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I seem to remember that the 226 and 239 .40's will take a drop in 9mm barrel.
Just use 9mm mags and recoil spring as well.

For a perfect fit a conversion barrel or complete slide would be the best route.

For my 229, going from 9mm to .40 I thought it easier to just get a complete slide assy.

The P239 definitely, I did that with my P239 .40. IIRC, either that wasn't the case with the P226 or it was iffy compared to the P239.

Everything I've read here indicates no issues with P226 9mm conversion barrels. Many don't even bother with changing the RS. Slight difference in POI with .40 slide and 9mm barrel. Not significant at closer distances.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post