SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG 220 8 ROUND MAGS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 220 8 ROUND MAGS Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted
I'm having issues with 3 SIG 220 factory 8 round mags not accepting 8 rounds 7 yes but not 8 I just bought these second hand..before I take them apart any suggestions I am trying to load regular 230gr ball brass ammo.
thanks

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2254 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with some 8 round magazines, bought from Sig made in Italy.
I believe the problem is just the magazine spring. At the suggestion of another member I loaded 7 rounds and let magazine set for a couple days. Then I was able to load 8, and again let magazine set for a week. Problem gone.

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I still have 10 year old mags that are extremely difficult to get the last round into it. They can be real thumb busters.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes load them to 7 and let them sit thanks!!

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2254 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This has been a common complaint here for decades.
All I tell the people who get issued P220s is, “Push harder.”
There may be 220 8-round magazines that absolutely will not take eight rounds, but that has been true of none of the many, many I’ve personally handled.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
How do you tell the 7-rd mags apart from the 8-rd ones?

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
How do you tell the 7-rd mags apart from the 8-rd ones?

Primarily by the witness holes and the floor plates.

Left to right:
1. carbon steel tube; 7-round follower; metal floor plate
2. carbon steel tube; 8-round follower*; metal floor plate
3. stainless steel tube; 7-round plastic follower; metal floor plate
4. stainless steel tube; 8-round plastic follower and extended plastic floor plate

The 8-round magazine has the current “dimple” (indentation) at the top rear to engage the case rim of the next round down and to prevent its moving forward when chambering the top round. Original 8-round mags lack that indentation.

7- and 8-round followers for original tubes:

* The modified follower was evidently developed to permit loading eight rounds in the original seven-round magazine without other modifications. Eight rounds can be loaded in such mags, but they are so tight that the mags are often unreliable.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the detailed explaination full of photos, sigfreund.

I bought a used stainless mag like #3 above and was disappointed it didn't hold 8 rounds.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I have a mix of Dimpled and none Dimpled.
Now I know what the Dimple is for.
So what is he answer load 7 and keep it loaded for a week?

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

posted Hide Post
Personally, I wish Sig would bring back flush fitting 7 round magazine. Seems like many of these manufactures try to put 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag. This is nonsense that you have to partially load a magazine and wait a week, then add another round for another round and finally after a month, you can load to full capacity. Capacity should just be limited proportionately and have a good strong magazine spring so the magazine will be reliable and have a long service life.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Smile yep its like give it time to settle in!!

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I just use my Uplula loader, problem solved

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
another piece of equipment to carry in that ever increasing sized bag

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I just use my Uplula loader, problem solved

YEP just bought one Cool

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG