SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    HELP! - Canted AR Barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! - Canted AR Barrel Login/Join 
posted
This is my first time installing a barrel to a stripped AR upper. I bought a Wilson Combat 6.8spc 16" Recon Fluted Barrel. I attached/torqued per instructions. After adding a Geissle mk16 handgaurd, I noticed that the barrel is slightly canted to one side toward the muzzle end of the hanguard. It is only slight, but it is clearly visible when looking down the barrel from the back of the receiver. I removed the handguard and the barrel and noticed a little play back and forth with the barrel seated in the receiver. When I hand tighten the barrel nut, the barrel is pulled slight to one side as it snugs up. I'm assuming that this is because the receiver is not perfectly square. I ordered a Wheeler Receiver lapping tool and plan to hand lap the receiver using the following youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbIIEeZmK54

I realize that I'm not a gunsmith, but I like working with my hands and am very familiar working some of the more med-hard gunsmith tasks. Any "watch outs" or recommendations? I release anyone who posts here from liability should I choose to proceed at my own risk with any of your recommendations.

Much Appreciated!

-Miller

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EkimSig,

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
When you say canted, I think of the sight as being rotated off the centerline of the barrel either clockwise or counterclockwise, but the barrel and receiver centerlines are themselves in line. Are you using canted to mean the centerlines of the barrel and receiver are forming an angle?

I have very limited experience with changing a barrel on an AR, but I didn't experience any play that would allow my barrel to rotate around the centerline any amount. I would think this most likely indicates either the indexing notch on the upper receiver or the indexing pin are out of spec. I would think any good company would keep tight tolerances on these specs.

If the centerlines of your barrel and receiver are not in line with each other, and the barrel is not rotating, then truing the receiver face should help.

Before you make any adjustments, may I suggest that you contact both companies and explain your situation to see if they can offer you any guidance. Maybe there was a problem on one end or the other that they are aware of and they can correct it.

I hope the problem is easily resolved.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10-7 leo,

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply 10-7. I’m referring to centerline of the barrel at a slight angle from the center line of the receiver. The upper is an Anderson that I bought on sale, so it is entirely possible it is slightly out of spec. I will give them a call.

Thanks, Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EkimSig,

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
The lower is an Anderson that I bought on sale, so it is entirely possible it is slightly out of spec.

From what you describe, this is the most likely scenario.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up lapping the receiver per the video, and it worked perfectly! All good now. Thanks!

-Mike

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Well done! It's always satisfying when everything turns out the way you want.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post