SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    226 Elite .40 and .357 Barrels interchangeable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 Elite .40 and .357 Barrels interchangeable? Login/Join 
Picture of tte415f
posted
Good morning. I have a recently purchased 2016ish Sig P226 Elite. It came with two slides, one slide and barrel in 9mm and the other in .40. I’ve purchased a new .357 Sig barrel for the .40 slide. Question, the .357 and .40 barrels are interchangeable correct?

Posts: 355 | Location: Aiken Co. S.C. | Registered: August 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Yep, should drop right in.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tte415f
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Yep, should drop right in.

Thanks!!

Posts: 355 | Location: Aiken Co. S.C. | Registered: August 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I assume you’ve already tried the 357 barrel in the 357/40 slide, so this is probably not necessary, but one thing to be aware of with new, never-installed SIG Classic line pistol barrels is that sometimes they can be a little tight in the slide due to manufacturing tolerances. The first 357 P229 I purchased started life as a 40 S&W model, but because I wanted the 357, the dealer just swapped in a new barrel. That barrel was a tight fit and sometimes wouldn’t go into battery when cycling the slide slowly by hand without an extra nudge. After firing a box or two (I’m no longer sure) of ammo, that hesitation went away.

Otherwise, 357 and 40 are interchangeable, including using the same recoil springs (despite some aftermarket claims to the contrary).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post