SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    LSWC in P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LSWC in P229 Login/Join 
posted
My 40S&W P229 has decided that it doesn't like LSWC bullets, it jams about every 3rd round. There is a small dent in the side of the cases that jam. In the past this gun has shot anything you feed it. OAL on these rounds is 1.125. It feeds gold dots fine. I haven't had a problem with LSWC in the past and I have probably 500 rounds of LSWC loaded so this is serious. Any suggestions? Thanks

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Describe "jam". Bullet wt/powder/charge? I usually suspect the ammo vs the gun.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8753 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Describe "jam".

Yes.
But just as a wild guess, the only ammunition I ever had that failed to chamber properly in a P229 was a Corbon load whose bullets were seated long, perhaps in an effort to reduce chamber pressures. Because of how the cartridges stopped in the chambering process a small dent caused by contact with the top of the feed ramp might have occurred.

I would check to ensure that you’re seating the bullets to the same overall length as what was working before. Or perhaps just experiment with seating them a bit deeper.

(And although you didn’t spell it out, I assume “LSWC” means lead semiwadcutter. I believe that style bullet can be more problematic when it comes to OAL and chambering.)

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are lead semi wadcutters, loaded to the same length I've always loaded to for this gun, 1.125. I ordered new magazine and recoil springs from wolff this morning and disassembled the magazines and cleaned them. I think the load was 5'6 gr of 231 and 155 gr bullet. I shot some 175 grain bullets a couple days ago and didn't have a problem but that may not mean anything. They were also loaded to 1.125 OAL. It may be as simple as dirty mags, I can't shoot today but next chance I get I'll go back to the range and see what happens, thanks.

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long shot, but might be related to crimping pressure. In the Nineties when I bought my first Sig, it was a P229 .40. Started reloading for it using 155gr SWC (hard cast). Began having frequent jams as you have described.

Turns out it was the crimp. Had loaded .45ACP LSWC for 1911's over a 25 year period. Never any issues. When I began loading for the Sig P229 I had used the same crimping pressure (subjectively). Here was the cause of the problem:

The Sig had a steeper, more angled feed ramp than the 1911's. With the same crimp, the bullet was set back on a random basis when it hit the feed ramp. Tightened the crimp and ALL of the problems went away. That simple.

Try hand cycling with around 10 of the reloads. Measure first with a caliper, measure after with a caliper. See if any setback has occurred. Also, check your crimping die to make sure it's locked. Sometimes they work loose. If you have any suspicions, just tighten the crimp a little.

If this is not the issues, we need some more definitive info surrounding the problem.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
If you have any suspicions, just tighten the crimp a little.

Good point. A too-short OAL can cause chambering problems as well.

And fundamentally, if the gun has not changed and similar ammunition used to work okay, something must be going on with the current ammmo. But regarding the gun, have you checked to ensure that the extractor and breech face are clean and not damaged?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee factory crimp die and adjust for a fairly tight crimp. I checked the extractor, breech face etc., everything fine. The gold dots feed fine and they are the same OAL. It looks to me like the bottom of the feed ramp on the barrel is catching the brass and that is also what's denting the case. I just don't understand why. Maybe it's the magazine spring, I will know in the next few days but why wouldn't it do the same Thing with the Gold Dots. After I cleaned the magazines, I hand cycled 20 rounds without an issue but that isn't the same as firing the gun.

posted Hide Post
To follow up, I replaced the magazine springs, recoil spring, and firing pin spring, removed and cleaned ejector. Now the old girl will shoot anything you feed her; problem solved! I am considering a Gray Guns enhanced trigger and bar. Anyone have experience with this?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glider:
To follow up, I replaced the magazine springs, recoil spring, and firing pin spring, removed and cleaned ejector. Now the old girl will shoot anything you feed her; problem solved! I am considering a Gray Guns enhanced trigger and bar. Anyone have experience with this?

I have the Gray Guns ELS system in both of my P229's and love the setup. Probably not a good as sending the gun out to a Pro but made a big difference in my guns. Well worth the cost.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post