SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stiff decocker engagement - strong decocker, sear, and/or main springs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stiff decocker engagement - strong decocker, sear, and/or main springs? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I have a early 1990's P229 with its original long mainspring with metal seat. The decocker exhibits stronger than normal resistance when engaging the sear. That is, there is not much resistance to moving the decocker downward; however, once the decocker contacts the sear, it takes more effort than normal to engage the sear to lower the hammer.

I first noticed this after installing a new parts kit on this long unused P229. I tried using the old decocker spring and another decocker lever (4 combinations) to no avail. Looking at where the decocker engages the sear, I am wondering if the sear spring is too strong or the mainspring is too strong.

Your insight is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That should be mostly mainspring. If it cycles when shooting, I wouldn’t consider it too strong and leave it alone.

I’ve felt lots of variance in the decocker on various SIGs; as long as it decocks as designed, I’m good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post