SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Wilson Grip Modules
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson Grip Modules Login/Join 
posted
Just received the new Wilson Combat grip module for my P365. After spending two hours looking for the tiny magazine release button spring, which launched away during my first attempts, I'm wondering why this isn't assembled by Wilson during the production process? The three tiny pieces supplied must be installed by the customer. There are no worthwhile instructions included in the packaging. YouTube has the only worthwhile hints. For the extreme MSRP (about $20 more than factory Sig modules), Wilson should be shipping these with the magazine release buttons installed. What a pain!

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You answered your own question. Wilson doesn't assemble them because they don't want their employees crawling around the shop looking for little springs instead of building guns!

Tongue in cheek of course, but they probably don't install them themselves to meet a price point? As you said, it's already $20 more so doesn't make sense to me either but that's all I can think of.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To not annoy the customers who want the mag catch on the other side.
It's much easier to just install the magazine catch than to remove it first, as I always have to do. Wink

I am trying to remember if the Wilson Combat P320 grip modules I have came with the magazine catch installed. I am pretty sure they did. Perhaps someone there was just lazy with yours—?

And FWIW, instructions on how to install the magazine catch are on page 73 of the P365 owner's manual.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the packaging of the Wilson Combat module it simply instructs the customer to: "Install the supplied magazine catch, spring, and lock." There is no diagram or directions to facilitate this or even align the tiny parts to the opening in the module. It's a ticklish operation, doomed to fail when the micro spring disappears. Thanks to YouTube, and sites like sigforum, there is some needed support. I suspect Wilson Combat is getting the magazine catch parts from Sig, in Sig's own small plastic bag packaging. Wilson simply includes it in the box with the module.

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Often, P320 and P365 grip modules come with no release; you have to either buy a new one, or use your old one from your previous grip module. It's a very simple process, and while Sig does provide the directions, you can quickly find them on youtube, and all over the web.

https://youtu.be/-AX_1hwLFwI

I put a dab of grease on the spring, just to keep it shifting around as I'm installing the parts, but it only takes a few seconds to install, or uninstall. Only a few seconds to find a clear visual on how to do it, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received a grip module from WC without the mag release installed. I assumed it so the buyer could install it either on the left or right side. Easy to install with no tools.

Posts: 138 | Location: Great State of Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the YouTube reference, sns3guppy. It is excellent. The video runs eight minutes and the narrator remarks that many people struggle with the installation. Losing the tiny spring, which I did early on, is catastrophic. Wilson Combat should be providing adequate instructions if they are going to market these modules without the magazine releases installed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I put a dab of grease on the spring, just to keep it shifting around as I'm installing the parts,

genius. thank you!

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:
Thanks for the YouTube reference, sns3guppy. It is excellent. The video runs eight minutes and the narrator remarks that many people struggle with the installation. Losing the tiny spring, which I did early on, is catastrophic. Wilson Combat should be providing adequate instructions if they are going to market these modules without the magazine releases installed.

You're probably all set with the info provided by 'sns3guppy' but...

Wilson Combat provides an 'Installation Tutorial' video right on the product page for the P365 Grip Module that covers the complete swap/install. Mag Catch installation is covered at 1:05. Regarding that Spring, grease has always been the Armorer's friend. Wink

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/G...roductinfo/365XL-MB/

That said, I suggest you do NOT install the OEM Mag Catch from SIG and instead consider upgrading to the Extended/Checkered version from Armory Craft or GrayGuns. I found the OEM Mag Release on the P365 somewhat slick/lacking in purchase and a little to flat to the Grip Module. This was evident to me when I was still on the hunt to actually find a P365 In Stock ANYWHERE in Nov. 2020. My LGS had a NIB P365 XL in stock and a used P365 w/ Manual Safety that had the Armory Craft Mag Release. When I released the Mag and double check the CLEAR condition of the P365 that was just cleared & handed to me, I knew at that moment I'd be replacing the OEM Mag Release. The difference was dramatic and though I didn't want either of those pistols (I was looking for the std. P365 to which I had already planned to add a P365 XL Grip Module), as soon as I got home I immediately scoured the internet to determine the manufacturer of the aftermarket Mag Release and where I could find one. I actually got the Armory Craft Mag Release BEFORE I was able to get the P365!

GrayGuns has since released an Extended Mag Release, but I can't speak to their offering specifically other than the fact that they make great stuff to improve/refine all things SIG, and I've bought a lot from them for my P220's, P225's, P228's, P226's, and P320's.

Armory Craft: $34.95 In Stock --> https://www.armorycraft.com/pr...e-catch-with-texture

GrayGuns: $49.00 In Stock --> https://grayguns.com/product/p...ed-magazine-release/

You're still gonna need to track down that spring though... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted to buy that Armory Craft unit. It's interesting that they charge the buyer $35 and do not include a new release spring or locking tab? The buyer must cannibalize his original parts. If that micro spring is damaged or lost during disassembly, it's another $24.99 (Sig's price-- out of stock, by the way). On second thought, I'll pass.

posted Hide Post
My wilson came today. Already had the armory craft mag release.
Now I have taken my 320 apart a zillion times with no issues.
As soon as I removed the 365 fcu, parts started falling off on both sides.
Another 45 minutes in front of youtube until it went back.
Hopefully it will shoot tomorrow!NEVER doing that again.
Mag catch and module do feel better.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shopwilsoncombat.com has install videos on their products

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:
I'm tempted to buy that Armory Craft unit. It's interesting that they charge the buyer $35 and do not include a new release spring or locking tab? The buyer must cannibalize his original parts. If that micro spring is damaged or lost during disassembly, it's another $24.99 (Sig's price-- out of stock, by the way). On second thought, I'll pass.

I have the Armory Craft in my Wilson module as well as my son’s. While I agree that it would be nice to get the spring and locking tab, it would probably increase the price beyond a point many would pay. I use the exacta knife method of removal and if done with a little care, there is no struggle and very little chance of damage. The Armory Craft is in my opinion exactly how the mag release should have been from the factory. Using the original parts isn’t really a big deal.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have been happy with Midwest Gun Works as a source of SIG parts.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...e-catch-springs.html

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Did the Wilson Grip install yesterday and the mag release took the longest because I kept dropping it. I did it inside a large zip lock back so when, not if, the spring launched it didn’t have far to go.

I do the same whenever I mess with the Beretta decocker.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Ziploc bag.

Grayguns installs the mag release. They obviously removed it to cerakote but they put it back in. Thank you.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post