SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 Front Sight Install
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Front Sight Install Login/Join 
Picture of bschuu
posted
I've gotten my P320 front sights 90% installed and it seems I've hit a road block...
The sights seem to be "stuck" and I may have not shaved off enough to get the sights inside the slide cutout. Frown

Any suggestions/ insight/ recommendations to getting this installed fully?

"I've heard it said that God made all men, but Samuel Colt made all men equal."

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Try removing the sight and installing from left to right.

Also, I recommend reading the following thread.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4730011644

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
All SIG sights go in left to right and come out right to left. That's what is taught in the armorer courses.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's about half-on, not 90%, and it's going on from the wrong side; it may not make any difference, but I've always pushed off to the left, pushed on from the left, and that does seem to be standard fare.

If you need to remove more material, do so very sparingly.

Run a drop of blue locktite under the site in the dovetail when you drive it into final position and then remove the excess.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the information and advice y'all!
New to installing front sights so I may have made the mistake of R-L and not L-R.

Truly thankful for my fellow Sig forum members!

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on tools to use?

posted Hide Post
There are a number of choices. I use the Rear Sight Tool. It works well enough. I've done a lot of sights with it.

http://www.rearsighttool.com

It works front and rear.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
There are a number of choices. I use the Rear Sight Tool. It works well enough. I've done a lot of sights with it.

http://www.rearsighttool.com

It works front and rear.

Awesome. Appreciate you guppy!

Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
I think I got it....

posted Hide Post
A timely thread. I'm in the middle of changing my P320 sights, and was able to get the rear sight off with a sight tool, but the tool is for rear sights only. A vice and a brass punch doesn't even get the front sight to budge (removing right to left).

Any suggestions, or am I just going to have to buy a front sight tool?

Posts: 1250 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few questions:

1) Are you using a HEAVY vise and is it attached to a HEAVY bench? If not, the full force of the hammer/punch will not be transmitted to the sight base. This is critical on tight sights. Otherwise you get a springing effect when the force is transmitted to the sight base.

2) You mentioned a brass punch. Works fine on the rear, since there is a lot of contact surface. The front sight base is quite shallow. A standard round brass punch isn't going to give you good contact with the sight base. Only the lower part of the round punch will make contact.

3) I presume you are using the punch on the sight base and NOT the blade. If hit, the blade can either break or bend.

With the front sight, an inexpensive punch made by Dawson is what should be used. Or something similar. See my post in this thread:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...380099274#7380099274

Here's some Dawson videos:
https://dawsonprecision.com/videos

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post