SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 X-Five Rear Sight Removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 X-Five Rear Sight Removal Login/Join 
posted
I am trying to remove the rear sight on P226 X-Five, but having trouble figuring out how to remove the lock washers. They are so thin and I don't want to end up damaging them by trying to force either one of them out.

Does anyone know how to remove them and put them back? It's the circled part in the pic

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 08, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Looks like a small e-ring. The ones I have dealt with you just find where a gap is and pry it out with a tiny screwdriver. Should only need to take one out. I am sure someone with more experience with Sigs will come along soon to help.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
Looks like a small e-ring. The ones I have dealt with you just find where a gap is and pry it out with a tiny screwdriver. Should only need to take one out. I am sure someone with more experience with Sigs will come along soon to help.

Thanks. I'm hesitant to take a screw driver to it as the ring is tiny and the gap from semi-circles very small.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
A tiny sharp pointed pick will remove them.
Generally, small needle nosed pliers for the install.
But in the photo, since the end of the shaft appears well recessed in the machined pin pocket of the slide, needle nose likely won't work.
You'll probably need the side of a small screwdriver or the face of a small driver punch for pushing the e-ring back into the groove on the pin.
You can mask off (with painters masking tape) the slide and sight surfaces so you don't scratch them up with tools.
You do know the layman's term for those tiny e-rings? "Jesus Christ" clips. Why? That's what you will say as they fly across the room, never to be seen again.

You may be able to source replacement e-rings at Lowes, Home Depot, Grainger. Take the original e-ring and the shaft with you.
A "dab" of grease on the shaft "may" hold the e-ring in place while you are attempting removal/installation so they don't fly and disappear. Note, I said may.

You can also perform the job inside a large clear plastic bag, working through the open end of the bag. That will minimize the e-ring disappearing act, but not eliminate it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1528 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
A tiny sharp pointed pick will remove them.
Generally, small needle nosed pliers for the install.
But in the photo, since the end of the shaft appears well recessed in the machined pin pocket of the slide, needle nose likely won't work.
You'll probably need the side of a small screwdriver or the face of a small driver punch for pushing the e-ring back into the groove on the pin.
You can mask off (with painters masking tape) the slide and sight surfaces so you don't scratch them up with tools.
You do know the layman's term for those tiny e-rings? "Jesus Christ" clips. Why? That's what you will say as they fly across the room, never to be seen again.

You may be able to source replacement e-rings at Lowes, Home Depot, Grainger. Take the original e-ring and the shaft with you.
A "dab" of grease on the shaft "may" hold the e-ring in place while you are attempting removal/installation so they don't fly and disappear. Note, I said may.

You can also perform the job inside a large clear plastic bag, working through the open end of the bag. That will minimize the e-ring disappearing act, but not eliminate it.

Thank You! I am going to try the pointed pick and bag trick. They are so thin and small, I was afraid of breaking them more than losing them. Hadn't even thought of the little suckers flying away!

Needle nose pliers may just fit in the recess when putting it back. However, the adapter plate that I'm going to use doesn't need the pin, since it screws into the slide. Good tip for when it's time for the sight to go back on.

posted Hide Post
Tried using a pick, but the gap was too small. Had a bright idea to use dental floss. The floss worked like a charm, but the clip did keep up to its "Jesus Christ" name. I am never gonna be able to find it now, am I?

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
If you know the diameter of the groove in the pin, and the thickness of the e-ring, you should be able to source replacements.
I guess you could try calling SIG, but that would likely be my last choice. They don't speak German made X-Five very well.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1528 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
If you know the diameter of the groove in the pin, and the thickness of the e-ring, you should be able to source replacements.
I guess you could try calling SIG, but that would likely be my last choice. They don't speak German made X-Five very well.

I am going to try and find replacements at hardware stores and also try my luck on GB. There are some sellers who sell X-Five parts. I wish SIG would have brought over the 226 X-Five line to the US when they closed Eckenforde.

Thank you so much for the help with getting the clip out and back in, that little clip had me stumped.